In Memory Of Webster (Cat)

contest winner icon

Yesterday, when my husband and I returned home from work, we noticed our 16 year old cat was unable to stand and walk. I had noticed him limping for a few days, but he had always been one of those cats that spent his entire day jumping up and down, from many different places.

All day long I dreaded taking Webster to the Vet for the obvious reasons. He also was a very shy cat. Very few people have actually physically seen him, let alone ever actually touched him because he always hid.

I was very concerned about his reaction to strangers, and it really did weigh heavily on my mind all day. I did not want his final moments of life to be absolutely terrified, which is what I was expecting.

I don't know what came over him at the Vet, but all he did was purr. He purred so loudly the Vet had a hard time trying to listen to his heart, when she gave him a look over.

People touched him, took him from us to the back for a few minutes to prep him, and his whole demeanor was so unlike him. He actually purred to the very end which was very surprising to me.

Whether he knew what was going to happen or not, I don't know but I do know I will always be grateful for that last memory.

By CaroleeRose

What an absolutely gorgeous cat. I'm so sad to read his story.. yet the purring and this image make me smile. My thoughts are with you.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Webster is a dear kitty, seems too young to pass away so soon. I know he is missed, such a loss for you and anyone who loses a beloved pet.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Dear CaroleeRose,

I can't tell you how sorry I am to hear that your Webster has made the trip to the Rainbow Bridge.

I know your heart is hurting and you'll feel empty for a while, but instead of celebrating his death for too long, start celebrating his life as soon as you can. Maybe you can do that by going to the Cat Rescue and adopting another kitty ASAP. By the time you are ready to accept him or her, the new kitty will be used to you, and will help you continue healing.

l learned that from a wonderful old friend who was so wise that we all called him Solomon, (King for short). He gave us so much great advice, and everything he ever told us has proved to be true. He always said that a heart open to love couldn't be closed in grief. As I get older, I think of that so often.

God Bless you and your husband for the long and wonderful life you gave to Webster. He went out purring and that tells you all you need to know.

Hugs,

Lee

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Strange as it may seem to us this magnificent boy knew he was about to cross the "rainbow bridge" and this was his way of saying "thank you" to his loving human family please don't grieve for me "if you love them set them free", god bless.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

I am so sorry for your loss of your wonderful Webster. Be thankful that God gave him a peaceful departure to Rainbow Bridge, and you a lasting peaceful memory of his leaving.

Hugs

Dani

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Having been a cat owner all my life, I know how much it hurts to have a beloved animal put to sleep. I am wiping away the tears as I write this note. But you did the right thing for Webster, out of love and this beautiful boy knew it! By the way he looks just like a new kitty who is in the process of "adopting" us! Thank you for sharing your pictures and story with us. God bless.

Reply Like this photo? Yes
Anonymous

I waited almost a week to write something to you because I was crying so hard when I first read your story about Webster and thought waiting those few days would make it easier to write something. Here I am crying again and all I can write now with still streaming tears is that I am so sorry for your loss, that you did the right thing and that Webster is an Angel above now watching over you! God Bless!

Reply Like this photo? Yes