Secure Ribbon on Spools With Rubber Bands

Instead of using tape or pins to keep you rolls of ribbon from unwinding, I found that rubber bands are easier, quicker, and leave no holes or stickiness on the ribbon.

With scissors, I simply clip a tiny slit in the side of the round cardboard ribbon spool, then clip another notch or slit directly across from the first slit. These tiny cuts give the rubber band a place to catch so it won't slide off the round cardboard spool. If you like, you can also cut a notch in the back of the spool and again at the back of the edge that's opposite the first cut.

Now instead of removing a pin or tape whenever I need to use my ribbon, I simply remove the rubber band and it's easy to replace. I bought a large bag of rubber bands at the dollar store and I use them for all kinds of things. I keep rubber bands on various door knobs all around the house just like my mom did when I was growing up. This way, I always have one available when I need it!

By Cyinda from near Seattle-Tacoma

I don't understand. Can you show a picture?

I have no camera. Here's how to do this:

Most ribbon comes on a spool. Cut a slit or a notch into the spool in 4 areas so the rubber-band will not slide off. Cut 2 notches in the top of the cardboard spool (across from each other front & back) & do the same on the bottom directly under the other notches. Put the rubber-band around the spool & have it going in 180 degrees opposite the ribbon & into these slits or notches & it won't slip off & the ribbon won't come unwound.

The slits kind of remind me of the little slit on a spool of thread. There's a tiny notch to put your thread into on the spool. You'd cut 4 of these & instead of putting the ribbon into it, put a rubber-band into the slits. Without the slits, the rubber-band will slip right off of the round cardboard spool.

The rubber-band will go up & over the spool then across the ribbon then over the bottom of the spool then back up, catching in the slits that you cut. It's much easier than I've made it sound & takes about 10 seconds to do!