Can Nails That are Too Long Cause a Dog to Limp?

If my dog's nails are too long will it cause her to limp?

By Renee from Twentynine Palms, CA

Anonymous
Best Answer

Yes, if they grow long enough to touch the pads of her paws. Long nails can also catch on things like the carpet and cause damage to the paw, so it is best to keep their nails trimmed. If you do not know how to cut his nails, it is best to have it done professionally because if you cut too far down, he could end up with severe bleeding.

Best Answer

Most definitely! Please have this taken care of a.s.a.p.! Your vet can start the process - if you don't feel competent enough to do them yourself, always have the vet (or your groomer) take care of them.

How would we feel if we didn't take care of our nails? As was already mentioned, dogs nails can catch on many things and break. Having a break above the nail bed isn't something that you'd want to have happen. Please take care of your little one very soon.

Anonymous

He's 115lbs. That's why I can't do it myself. I'm taking him to the groomer today. Thanks

Sure it can. Take advice of Widget unless you know of someone who is knowledgeable that can help you. It hurts your dog to walk because toes are bent sideways.

Long nails will not only cause the dog to limp, but cause pain and throw her off balance when walking.

Have this done professionally and don't forget the Dew Claw's.

Yes, absolutely! Please take your limping baby to the vet to have them treated. Please do not let this happen again, it is very painful for him.

Yes, indeed. I am going to take my dog to the the vet!

Pets Dogs GroomingNovember 20, 2010
🍀
💘