PotatoSalads

Sweet Potato Salad

Many years ago my nana taught me how to make her potato salad and I have never had any that were anywhere as good as hers. In my family I am now the Potato Salad Queen. Nana was well known within the family for her potato salad.

• one bag of or 8 large sweet potatoes
  • one bag of sweet onions, roughly 6-7 medium size onions
  • 1.5 carton of eggs (we use jumbo)
  • 2 jars of Hellman's mayonnaise and only Hellman's mayonnaise
  • 2 sticks of butter

Directions:

I always buy a bag of potatoes, peel and quarter them into mouth size pieces. Sweet potatoes cook faster than regular potatoes so I constantly check them. Once done and drained, I pour cold water over them and then place them on a tray in the freezer for about 30 minutes.

I do this because they'll get a little firmer and when I mix them into the recipe they don't fall apart. I saved all the sweet potato skins and later cooked them and mixed them into my dogs' dinner and they all loved it.

I also buy a bag of sweet onions, peel and dice, then saute in a large frying pan with a stick of butter, there have been times that I have used two though. I saute the onions until they're a beautiful color of gold and add butter as needed to keep them frying until I get the texture and color. Once done, I drain and place in a mixing bowl in the refrigerator to cool off.

My final step is hard boiled eggs, I use 12-18 eggs, depending on the size of the salad and cook them the night before. I also peel them and store them in the refrigerator in a covered container over night.

I use two 30 ounce jars of Hellman's mayonnaise and only Hellman's mayonnaise.

I then mix onions and hard boiled eggs in a mixing bowl with the mayonnaise and stir until it's mixed really well and finally add the sweet potatoes at the very end and gently stir them in so they remain in bite size chunks.

I don't add any seasoning, but I remember my nana did and all I remember is, it was orange. And she sprinkled it on the top.

Servings: 1 cup servings, probably a good 8-12 servings
Prep Time: A good hour at least for one person
Cooking Time: 2 hours and it's well worth it.

Source: My nana and myself

By CaroleeRose from Madison, AL

The orange seasoning was probably paprika.

I wonder if the seasoning on top might have been paprika?