AdviceRabbits

Litter Box Training a Bunny

I just got a dwarf bunny last week. How long does it usually take for them to get used to a new home? He's peed on my couch a few times which I remedied by putting a doubled up sheet on it. He's pooped in many places, although the person said it's litter boxed trained. I put the little litter box that he has in his cage in the private corner of the living room.

Any suggestions on how to have him "go" in the appropriate place? I would appreciate any help that you might be able to give me.

By lrrn567 from Bristol, CT

Where did the previous owner have the box when you picked up the bunny? If it was in the cage, do the same.

Or if there's room put in cage and keep bunny in cage until it starts going in box.

There might be directions on the web as well, or contact

a housebunny association for suggestions. I do believe there is such an organization.

I don't know where the person had the bunny. She gave me the cage and that was it. She is moving far across the country and I was only told of this person. I just went to her house and she had the bunny in her arms and that was it.

I guess I have to rely on the website for house bunnies.

I was wondering if there is a difference between regular size bunnies and dwarf; regarding their behaviors if there were any at all.

I have not housebroken a rabbit myself, but I read about it a long time ago in a library book when I was considering adopting a rabbit. Unfortunately I don't remember the name of the book. But this is simple and harmless and definitely worth a try.

While holding the rabbit, take one of its front legs in your hand and scratch the paw through the litter a few times in a digging motion. Supposedly this is the same motion the rabbit would naturally use if it chose the spot itself. From what I read, this instantly creates a mental association. They are supposed to be very smart animals with good memories, so who knows. It just might work!

Buns will use a litter box like a cat, but they are not 100% perfect about using it, so you need to be patient and understanding.

You'll want a hood-free cat litter box. My favorite litter is Care Fresh which is made from paper. Two good places for bunny advice www.rabbit.org Which is The House Rabbit Society website. An independent one I look at from time to time is www.saveabunny.com

If the bun does piddle on something it's easy to clean. I use this stuff called Anti Icky Poo and I get it from www.catfaeries.com (look under Urine Clean Up) I like the unscented best, but sister likes the regular spice scent.

And don't forget - bun needs to run and play in the house for exercise, and they are so much fun to watch!