Plant HealthGardening

Bougainvillea Damaged By Cold

My bougainvillea froze last winter and now is just sticks but the stems seem to be getting red in color. Does this mean there's still hope? I trimmed some. Should I cut more? They are planted in the ground and used for arbor cover but only made it to the top last summer.

Hardiness Zone: 9b

Thanks,
Wendi from Concord, CA

Anonymous

hi mine did to ,i live in Texas and of course my hubby was hoping they would die haha! they didn't he cut them so low he was sure they were gone .but they started coming back,and look really good but man if i could just get them to bloom correctly !!
Good Luck,Dar in Texas

They will come back...I saw my neighbor cut hers down to about a foot,maybe two above the ground 2 summers ago, now it is at the top of her 6 ft. fence again...They will bloom when they get ready. And the less water the happier they seem to be.This picture is of another neighbors "Bougie " it is coming over the 6 ft fence on to the Path Garden

Good luck. G.G.Vi

By karen in oklahoma (Guest Post)

I don't think mine got cold, just too much water! (husbands again, god bless 'em) Anyway, it's dropping leaves. I've brought it in for the winter, but am wondering if I should prune it back. Will the leaves come back on these long stems?

By Shirley in Brandon, FL (Guest Post)

I have a very large Bougainvillea planted around another tree, and it had grown up into the other tree. It got damaged by temps in 20's 2-3 weeks ago, and the outer layers are now brown and bare. Plant is probably 25 years old, and I've never pruned it since we bought the house 7 years ago.

Wondering if I should prune them off, and if so when to do it. I'm sure we'll get 2-3 more cold spells for next couple of months. Please, I'll welcome advise from any and all.....Thanks!