Growing a Vine on an Old Swing Frame

The seat to my lawn swing rusted and broke off the main frame. The frame itself is still in good condition and I'd like to have some pretty vines trailing up the frame. I was told by someone that the frame would get too hot in the Texas heat unless I insulated it with something like chicken wire. I've never worked with chicken wire so I'd have to figure it out. I'm wondering if any of my ThrftyFun friends have a simpler solution, other than the chicken wire.

By Betty

Having moved back to Tennessee after 30 years in Houston I agree that the frame would be too hot for vines to touch. What about hanging pots of petunias, begonias, etc. They could grow nicely without actually touching the framework.

I just thought of something else... a hanging herb garden would be really nice.

Could you get wooden lattice at the lumberyard and attach to the frame with wire? Or you could get wire (maybe at a plant nursery) and make a support system for the vines on the frame.

Could you paint the frame with one of the insulating paints that throw off heat?

I used KoolSeal on my shed roofs back in AL and GA (I live in NE Scotland now) and it kept the metal cool to the touch. Seems I recall you can buy a small pint can of the paint for touch-ups so it shouldn't be too expensive.

We used the metal frame from a trampoline to make an arched grape arbor, and it works perfectly. The metal does not get too hot, especially once the vines start growing on them (or at least that has been my experience). We also have gourd vines growing on an old metal gate. Wisteria would be fine, too, as would rambling roses.