Replacing the Canopy on a Patio Swing

Category Outdoor
Time and the elements can take their toll on the fabric canopy of your outdoor swing. Rather than purchasing an entirely new swing you can replace the canopy. This is a page about replacing canopy on a patio swing.

I have an old aluminum lawn swing which needed a new canopy. The cushions were easy to replace but I need a canopy. I went to a hardware store and bought a vinyl roll up shade (could be bamboo) and placed it over the top of the swing. I tied it down with plastic slip ties. It has lasted over three years now and is easy to keep clean.

By Mary C. from Newark, CA

Does anyone know an easy inexpensive way to replace the canopy that goes over a swing? Mine fell apart from just normal sun/weather exposure. The frame and rest of the swing is fine. I don't really want to have to replace the whole thing (too expensive) if I don't have to. Help!

By cshell

Answers

I wonder if you could use a vinyl table cloth or a shower curtain to somehow fashion a cover.

Or, use a piece of canvas tarp.

Outdoor fabric is sold at a discount by fabric.com, not a plug. I don't even live in the US. I just did a search and a lot of it is priced at 8.98 a yard and it's 54 inches wide. If you talk with them about your project, you will find they are really helpful. And your swing would look so nice.

I actually found a small childs tent that was just the right size to replace mine, at a yard sale. Take the measurements and you may find just the thing to work for you.

Pat

We had one of these swings also. And the top rotted off by the end of that first summer. I used an old twin size sheet to just pin it over the top frame. You can pick up good sheets at a thrift store. Maybe you could find just the right thing there also. GG Vi

I bought an inexpensive large piece of oil cloth (heavy table cloth covering in what ever pattern or color you chose) slightly larger than the width of the frame. Since it does not fray etc., simply cut out to fit around the corners, fold the edges and ends over and either glue, sew or use velcro to attach to frame.

I used a plain darker color that complimented my seat cushions for mine and it worked great and looked good!

I used a vinyl table cloth. Does well.

I am trying to find the canopy frame for the Garden Treasures Baja Swing purchased from Lowe's a few years back.

Jeri

Answers

Best Answer

Check out canopydoctor.com website. They show how to measure the canopy and cushions and quote you a price.

Best Answer

You may also want to check out www.gardenwinds.com, they have huge selection of replacement canopies for different kind of swings. They sell cushions too!

I have two swings and one BBQ grill with canopies and a gazebo where the cloth has either disintegrated or been torn to shreds by the cats. I would like to replace the canopies with something cat proof that will last. Are there metal canopies?

Any ideas?

I live in a very windy area and the canopy that is currently on the swing acts like a parachute. When it is windy it pulls the swing over. Is there some kind of fabric or something the wind can flow through so this would not happen?
The wind actually pulls the stakes I have on the swing right out of the ground.
I would really appreciate some ideas thank you.

Answers

You could anchor the stakes with cement

Looks like you're not alone here Reference: forums.gardenweb.com/.../need-ideas-for-canopy-weights

Depending where you live (not sure if it rains often, but if it does then the sand option wouldn't be best)

- You can use 5 galloon jugs
- Cement blocks
- Strong sturdy bungee cords
- bucket with rocks
- Many more suggestions on the website

Good luck!

How do I attach the vinyl outdoor shade to my swing for a replacement canopy cover?

Thanks.

Where can I purchase a durable top for an outdoor double glider? The frame over the glider is wood and is flat with a slight curve in the middle. The frame is 46" by 94". It is Amish made if that helps.

By Sharon K. from Central FL by Ocala

Answers

Gardenwinds.com carries them: www.gardenwinds.com/replacement-swing-canopy-c-140.html

I am looking for a replacement canopy for a three-seat hammock swing that I purchased from Walmart a few years ago. The canopy top resembles a gazebo top. It is stationary (does not pivot) and angles up from the four sides to a flat top in the center similar to a roof.

By Kathy D.

Answers

My canopy wore out on my swing. Well I had bought some twin fitted sheets a long while back very cheap. What I did was take two twin fitted sheets and take out the corners and hem with rubber off long side of each fitted sheet and I measured the canopy frame. Then I sewed the two pieces together. I was trying to make a new fitted sheet for my pillow top mattress.

Well, I couldn't get the flat sheet to fit right so I accidentally tried the new fitted sheet on my canopy frame and it fit perfectly. So now I have a cover again and I can change the pattern anytime I want. My frame happened to be the same size as my pillow top mattress. I was a little time consuming to tear out the old seams, but saved me a lot of money for a replacement.

How do you sew a cloth outdoor swing cover and a valance?

By max from Bemidji, MN

Answers

If you still have the old one, use it as a pattern or draw a pattern using the dimensions. I used shower curtains from thrift store/Goodwill to make cushion covers for my outdoor chair cushions. Maybe a tablecloth would work.

Where would I find a canopy for my two man recliner swing?

By Marjorie

I have a 6 foot x 12 foot worn/torn area on the front edge of my deck roll out canopy and need help. Can anyone come up with suggestions or a solution to repair it?
Thank you.

By Ang

This page is about making a replacement canopy for an outdoor swing. When the awning for an outdoor swing gets torn or tattered you may be able to fashion a new canopy.

Replacement Canopy for an Outdoor Swing

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 3

This is a page about replacement canopy frame for garden treasures swing. With the proper measurements you may be able to order a replacement canopy frame.

Garden swing with canopy

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Has anyone made a replacement canopy for an outdoor swing?

I have a canopied glider swing that needs serious help. It's less than 2 years old, but due to the fierce Arizona heat, the canopy is totally shredded from sun-rot.

Load More

Home and Garden Repair Furniture OutdoorMay 18, 2013
😎
😷
🌻
📓
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Replacing-Canopy-on-a-Patio-Swing.html