Helpful HintsFood Tips

Cover Hot Handle With Oven Mitt

Some recipes we use call for browning meat in a pan and then putting the pan in the oven to let the meat finish cooking. Whenever I use a pan with a long handle, the same problem occurs: When the meat is finished cooking, I almost always forget the handle is extremely hot and I end up touching it as I finish the meal preparations. As a solution, whenever I take the pan out, I put an oven mitt over the handle. No more burns on hands, fingers or arms, or on anyone else who happens to be helping out.

By Ron from Cortez, CO

And, how long did it take you learn this?

I had a similar problem with my cast-iron skillet. I finally sewed a potholder (square one) into a rectangle, and slipped it over the handle of the skillet. I just leave it on the skillet handle so I don't have to hunt for it!