Clothing StainsCleaning

Dryer Left Brown Stains on Shirt Collar Tips

There are brown stains on the tips of shirt collars after I've dried them in the clothes dryer. I think that the collar tips are sticking into the perforated holes in the metal plate that covers the heat source, or maybe into the holes of the lint vent inside the dryer drum.

If this is true, how can I clean the dryer so that my collars don't keep getting brown stains? Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening?

By John from AL

If you do think your collar points are getting caught in the holes, I suggest trying this: safety pin them together lapped to keep them from getting caught. And use a good safety pin so it won't rust on your shirts. And don't use a baby pin with a plastic head! That would make a mess of another sort. ;) Susan in Omaha

I thought this article might answer some problems with brown stains on just the tips of a white dress shirt. it comes from a dry cleaner's website. championcleaners.com

Discoloration of Armhole and Collar Seams explained here:

www.championcleaners.com/.../Dress-Shirt-Defects-Three-Common...

My dress shirts had this problem, so frustrating!! I found the solution online - Exactly spot on ! - if you stopped here, and haven't seen other solutions - it's the dryer felt at the back of the drum, and it's rust, not burn. The tips easily get in there for a tumble or two and that's all it takes. But it is an EASY fix - YouTube for instructions on replacing your dryer felt.