Dryer Left Brown Stains on Shirt Collar Tips?

There are brown stains on the tips of shirt collars after I've dried them in the clothes dryer. I think that the collar tips are sticking into the perforated holes in the metal plate that covers the heat source, or maybe into the holes of the lint vent inside the dryer drum.

If this is true, how can I clean the dryer so that my collars don't keep getting brown stains? Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening?

By John from AL

If you do think your collar points are getting caught in the holes, I suggest trying this: safety pin them together lapped to keep them from getting caught. And use a good safety pin so it won't rust on your shirts. And don't use a baby pin with a plastic head! That would make a mess of another sort. ;) Susan in Omaha

I thought this article might answer some problems with brown stains on just the tips of a white dress shirt. it comes from a dry cleaner's website. championcleaners.com

Discoloration of Armhole and Collar Seams explained here:

www.championcleaners.com/.../Dress-Shirt-Defects-Three-Common...

My dress shirts had this problem, so frustrating!! I found the solution online - Exactly spot on ! - if you stopped here, and haven't seen other solutions - it's the dryer felt at the back of the drum, and it's rust, not burn. The tips easily get in there for a tumble or two and that's all it takes. But it is an EASY fix - YouTube for instructions on replacing your dryer felt.

This answer is eight years later than the question. But I know I was looking for it myself for the last two years.

ANSWER: the problem is not the dryer. The stain shows up after drying but the cause goes back to the washer. It is either the bleach content (aka stain-lifter) in washing detergent or the chloride content in water. If you apply baking soda mixed with water to the stain, it will go away. Then you will know for sure. Because baking soda neutralizes the bleach.

Think about this logically. If your theory was correct (that this is from the detergent or water), then how do you explain it only showing up on the collar tips and edges of the shirt? Your theory can not account for this. Please people. If you have this problem it is NOT the stays. It is NOT the bleach content or chloride in the water. Sorry. It is the pointy parts of the shirt collar or shirt edges and corners getting into the crevice of the dryer and being stained by the rust or whatever on the drum's felt lip.

It isn't burnt. It isn't too much heat. It isn't a chemical. Replacing the felt liner is not expensive and easy to do if you find the correct part. Cheap. There are plenty of videos on YouTube for your specific dryer. Remove, clean the area, replace. Problem solved. Or just treat the symptoms and clean the stain. Or try pinning the collars so they won't get into the drum crevice. Or don't put them in the dryer.

Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsFebruary 3, 2010
🍂
🎄
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf94758260.tip.html