Dog Shredding Puppy Pads?

Does anyone have any ideas on how to break my 8 month old Pomeranian from shredding his puppy pads? When he was a tiny puppy he used the pads most every time but it seem that now he holds his bladder until I get home to take him out which is good but the pad that I leave for him is always in a million pieces. He has plenty of toys to play with but this pad has become a favorite. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Connie A. from Smithville, TN

Give him something else of a similar consistency, like newspaper or cardboard and take the puppy pad away? Our pomeranian adores shredding paper and old cereal boxes (the smaller the box, the better, which is why i find myself saving paperclip boxes from work). Of course, we never used puppy pads with her.

By (Guest Post)

Easy! He doesn't need the pee pads any more, so don't put them down.

Anonymous

your dog is probably too old now for the pads and also, he's probably bored. Make sure your dog gets lots of exercise like walking him at least 45 min. a day. A tired dog is a happy dog and a happy dog is a happy owner! Remove the pads, find your dog a toy like a KONG filled with little treats or put peanut butter in it and freeze it over night.

He will stay busy for awhile. I'm studying to be a dog trainer and exercise is the key for training. Not only will the dog be willing to learn when he's a little tired, walking is good for him and you.

By jhosler (Guest Post)

With my dog, it's tissue. I don't dare leave a box of tissue in his reach. He will even raid the waste baskets to pull out anything that resembles tissue and proceed to shred it to pieces -under the chair, the bed or all over the room. How do you break this habit? He is turning 3 years of age.

By JD (Guest Post)

You can easily litter-box train you Pomeranian. Get a dog litter box and use the sand or pine litter. You'll be happy forever more!

By nancy (Guest Post)

My 9 month old puppy does the same thing. Buy the fabric style of puppy pads-they are mashine washable & they can't be shredded.

Nancy

My 7 month puppy has recently started the habit of shredding her puppy pad everyday while I am at work. I am a teacher and often have to work 10 hour days. I cannot get her taken out during the day. She did not take to crate training at all, no matter what I did. I feel bad leaving her in a crate for that long during the day. Any suggestions?

By Amber

Answers

With no dis-respect did you consider the long hours you would be absent before you got puppy? They need constant care all their lives but most important as "babies" this is far too long to leave any animal especially a puppy. She is bored with nothing to do and no-one to take her outside to play and find her own special "toilet place".

Can you find a kind reliable friend to come and let her out at least three times during a ten hour period.? I have never believed in "crating" animals, my German Shepherds have the run of the backyard and sleep in the house on their Pet Beds at night. Hope this helps in some small way because "crated" for those hours on her own can end with a neurotic animal.

Pets DogsFebruary 12, 2006
😎
🎆
👔
🌻
🐛
😷

DogsPets