Cleaning Concrete

Category Miscellaneous
This is a guide about cleaning concrete. Concrete patios, sidewalks and driveways can often be restored to like new with a pressure wash or other cleaning technique.

How do you get egg off of concrete?

By Pat from Coplay, PA

Answers

Have you tried Coca-Cola?

Use the full on sugary original Cola not the diet.

It removes blood from concrete so I imagine that the cola would work for egg too.
Leave it on the stain for an hour or so then rinse off with clean water.

Good luck,
Monique :)

Hmmm... I'm guessing it was so hot you could fry an egg on the sidewalk?

I agree that cola, on a sunny day, will likely remove it, but I'd be inclined to use club soda to prevent dark stains, and check it before it dries, scrubbing with an old broom or stiff brush well. Rinse and it should be clean. Good luck and god bless. " )

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. The egg is gone. Cola works!

So the dark color in the cola did not discolor the concrete in anyway?

I want to know how to clean the garage floor of my home before I seal the concrete. It was painted over a couple times and has worn through in several places. Sure I could go to Home Depot and buy some expensive floor cleaner but where's the ThriftyFun in that?

Jim from Florida

Answers

TSP and a push-broom

all i use is bleach on the concrete. it works great on grease marks.put it on with a brush & in a few days it is gone.

I've used borax, sprinkling it on the floor and rubbing it in with a broom. Sweep it up after 1/2 hour or so and then rinse with water. It cleans and takes any musty smell out of the floor.

Susan from ThriftyFun

You might want to use tsp it is a powder that you mix with water to clean your walls before painting. You can also use muratic acid.
Liz Az

Hi everyone and thanks in advance for tips. I am cleaning the desks in my church school. Some are painted wood and they are coming clean OK, but there are some that are like a poured concrete. That is what they look like anyway. They also look a bit like countertop material.

Anyway I was trying to clean them today. They started to come clean when I sprayed bleach water on them but you could see it was sprayed. Then i got a sponge with the green scrubby thing on the other side. For 15 minutes I scrubbed that desk top. Oh yes, it came clean but it still is dirty plus I have 12 desks in that room to clean. I have not tried vinegar yet. That is the only thing I can think of that my nose could tolerate. Someone has suggested a Gorrllla or gooey something but she said it smells, oooohhhh really smelly. Don't want that. Any suggestions, please help!

Sandy from Baltimore

Answers

Simple Green

Try Barbasol Shaving cream. You can buy it at the dollar store, and it works great.
Bobbi

Try on a small area these:

Some thoughts, alcohol, peroxide, baking soda and water, dawn dish detergent, or Tide.

Then don't mix these====vinegar or bleach or ammonia ---BUT NOT AT THE SAME TIME!!!!!!!! USE ONLY INDIVIDUALLY, CAN CAUSE TOXIC FUMES IF MIXED.

I went to replace my potted plant and discovered what I call rust marks (aka water stains) on my covered concrete patio. Any suggestions to restore concrete to its natural color - gray?

Rusty Jean in California

Answers

I was going to post the same problem myself today....What a coincidence! Mine came from rust areas on my wrought iron railings dripping down on the porch. So now there are two of us that want to know. Any ideas?

I have never tried this but the back of the container of Barkeeper's Friends states that it removes rust and discoloration from stone and masonry. I buy it at Wal-mart in the cleanser area. It is a handy cleanser to have in the house.

Hey guys! I might be able to help. Literally just walked back in from dealing with a similar situation. We poured a little bit of bleach on the concrete patio and let it sit for a minute. Then just turned the hose on it with the full force of the attachment. Don't know side effects or if it could harm anything but the stains are gone! (Or at least lessened considerably so that I'll do it again tomorrow!) Hope that helps!

What is the best cleaning solution to clean my sidewalk and walkway using a pressure cleaner?

Sharon from FL

Answers

Hello! I pressure cleaned my walk last summer with nothing more than water.I'm sure you could use something but not sure what so as not to kill grass and flowers or that would hurt animals.My walk had never been cleaned and the home was built in 1940.The walk looks new.Give it a try.

Yep, I agree. Water is all you need. It is the pressure of the water coming out that blasts away any dirt. I had a great time doing our driveway. I used the sprayer to write a note on the cement. We had "I love Dave" on the driveway for about a week! Have fun!

Tips for cleaning concrete. Post your ideas.

Answers

Extremely strong, durable material made from cement and aggregate.

To clean, wet with clear water. Apply a hot solution of 2 to 2 1/2 ounces washing soda or 1/2 ounce trisodium phosphate (for example Spic and Span) per gallon of water.

This article was written by Anne Field, Extension Specialist, Emeritus with references from Georgia Extension bulletin Buying and Caring for Smooth Surface Flooring: Masonry.

Source: MSU Extension

I use pool chlorine and a stiff broom to clean my concrete driveway and walkways. I'll have to try Spic and Span, it's less expensive. Thank you. :-)

What kind of home remedy can I use to clean my concrete front porch that has dirt ground in and has some light green mold?

By Peg C

Answers

Clorox, I use it all the time. You could always pressure wash it.

We had a new concrete patio installed last year. Over the winter, fallen leaves stained it and we scrubbed with dishwashing soap, no cleaner. Any ideas how to clean it? We don't want to use bleach if it will kill the adjacent grass.

By Marcie S.