FurnitureCleaning

Cleaning Outdoor Furniture Cushions

I have some lawn chairs that are kind of cotton, white with green flowers that after it rained they started to grow mold all over them. The humidity is so high here, I am sure that combined with the rain caused it. Now how do I get rid of it? How do I keep it from coming back? They are outside chairs.

By Kim from KS

My outdoor cushions have 1 year old mold on them. How do I clean this up?

By jean stephens from KY

Answers:

Cleaning Outdoor Furniture Cushions

I use outdoor bleach on my cushions that have mold on them and a scrub brush. They come clean and dry in the sun. (06/10/2010)

By carol

How do I clean my outdoor cushions before I put them away for the winter?

By kim roark from Stockbridge, MI

Answers:

Cleaning Outdoor Furniture Cushions

Martha Stewart, on her TV program, used Fels Naptha Bar soap and a scrub brush. Hose off and let dry in the sun. I bought the soap but haven't got around to using it yet. It's available in the supermarket and inexpensive too. (10/27/2009)

By Marlene

Cleaning Outdoor Furniture Cushions

I had outdoor cushions that were black in the creases and had a few stains of unknown origin on them. I was being lazy so I threw them in my washer, one at a time, with Awesome cleaner. The stains came out, but one of the cushions tore from the stress of the machine. I would do them by hand, whatever you choose to clean them with. (10/29/2009)

By Sandy

I am trying to clean some patio outdoor furniture cushions that I believe are waterproof without affecting the waterproof ability of the cushions.

Replacement cushions are so costly, $50 a chair.

Please help me save these cushions and some money. We need to think green and not just spending more of the green stuff.

By Kay from MO

Answers:

Cleaning Outdoor Furniture Cushions

I've used Tilex before. But recently a woman told me about a product called Greased Lightening that is sold in the Dollar Tree. She said its best for everything even treating stains on clothing. (03/29/2009)

By Carol Swanson

I just got out my lawn furniture and the cushions are so dirty. I tried so many different kinds of cleaners and nothing seems to work. Can someone please tell me what I can use? They look black, very awful.

Thanks in advance,
Angel from Newville, PA

Answers:

Cleaning Outdoor Furniture Cushions

Bleach and water. Spray on and let it sit awhile and spray off. Depending on the fabric, that is what dictates the strength of the bleach. We have a pool and no outdoor coverage, roofs, etc. Everything is out in the open and the trees make everything so dirty. The black you are seeing is either mildew or organic matter from outside debris. Only bleach will get rid of this, like putting chlorine in your pool. (05/09/2007)

Cleaning Outdoor Furniture Cushions

A product called Awesome, has worked on many different things for me, including mildew, test this first on a part that is not visible. Take a scrub brush and scrub it down good and rinse. There is nothing known that takes out mildew on cotton fabric. I had two wash cloths in a zip lock bag that I took shopping with two grands to wash their faces after eating, left them in the van several days in the hot summer heat and never found anything to take out the mildew. I am assuming mildew is what you are dealing with.

Most Dolllar stores and Everythings A Dollar stores carry Awesome and it can be mixed according to directions on the bottle, but most of the time I use it full strength on tough jobs.
I agree that bleach and water, half and half, with a scrub brush is also a good idea. If you are dealing with cloth and you find something to take out the mildew, please post it for all to use!

Good luck.
Martha in TN (05/11/2007)

By martha pitts

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.