Tips From The Refrigerator Repair Man

I just had the refrigerator repair man out to look at my side by side refrigerator. I thought the evaporator fan wasn't working and my service contract is going to expire next month. He gave me several tips while he was here, which I would like to pass on.

First, when I told him I did not plan to renew a service contact, he explained to me the reasons I should renew it. Almost any problem that occurs today with a refrigerator has a cost to the consumer of over $200.00, that being the low end cost. Appliances have more plastic and electronic parts and are more apt to need service than the appliances made five to ten years ago.

Secondly, he advised me to dump the ice in the ice maker when it gets low, and completely rinse the ice container out top and bottom, otherwise frost builds up in the bottom of the ice maker. Mine had lots of build up!

The third and last tip he shared, was to not put any items on the freezer shelves that extend past the shelf, this causes the freezer door not to seal tight, thus costing me more in electricity and makes the refrigerator work harder to cool items.

One last thing, he said not to put large wine boxes on the top shelf of the refrigerator, as they block the air flow, due to the height of the wine box.

By Bobbie G from Rockwall, TX

You c an learn a lot from repairmen - They love to talk shop - so watch what they are doing and ask questions! My mother learned how to maintain the heating system in our house herself by watching and learning from the service people as they came out over the years - and the furnace lasted almost 50 years before it had to be replaced!!

My fridge is about 8 years old. I regularly vacuum the dust from behind the fridge, but I only recently started vacuuming the dust from UNDER it as well. The dust builds up on the coils, causing the fridge to draw more electricity and make more noise.