Training an Abused Dog

I just got a 16 month old pure bully, but it was locked in a cage always, fought, and the lady used to beat her with a metal pipe. She's latched on to me now, but she needs to be taught how to play, and basic commands like stay and heel. I don't want to raise my voice now because she gets scared. She's bouncing back quickly, but if anyone has advice on training tips or links on how to get a Pit that was abused and fought, back to a normal playful 1 year old puppy I would appreciate it. Thanks.

By dennymia from Providence, RI

I would highly recommend Cesar Milan's books. SO glad you adopted her! My daughter and her husband adopted one from our local shelter 6 years ago and she is the greatest, smartest dog ever! She would die for her family, she's so attached to them! They have since had a little boy and she protects him and loves him so much. Also, seek out a professional trainer if at all possible. Your vet may have resources for you as well. Good luck! They are SO worth the work!

You could try to contact The Dog Whisperer in Los Angeles, Cesar Millan. He is so great!

Here is my favorite site to go to when I have questions about pit bulls and their behavior.

www.pbrc.net/

Blessings to you and give him time to absorb his new surroundings...bless you and your bully!

I would also not recommend any other dogs around your bully. He may not feel comfortable around them.

Here are some questions and answers on general training that might help.

leerburg.com/.../searchResults.php?terms=abused+dog...

Pets Dogs Training AdviceMay 2, 2012
🍀
💘