SeasonalGardening

Use Sandbox Sand in the Garden

In the fall when we put things away, it was always "What do we do with the sand from the sandbox?" Well, I assess what areas of my veggie and flower garden soil needs some soil treatment and divide out the sand box to the garden needing it most. Eliminates the spring work of finding sand to use, as well as putting the sand box away. Many veggies grow better in sandier soil. Some flowers need better drainage.

By doing this in the fall, I can plan my garden seeds and planting on paper during the winter. One draw back to this is if you have an uncovered sandbox where cats might have pooped. You don't want that sand in your veggie garden. Flower garden is OK.

Adding some sand to clay soil turns it to "concrete" basically, so it really depends on your soil type if it is a good idea. If you add enough sand, it will lighten clay soil, but adding small amounts doesn't help at all.

I was going to comment similarly to ginnee. Sand + Clay = Bricks. We're chock full of clay in Oklahoma, so we need a lot of organic material instead. But this sounds like an excellent idea for non-clay soils!