AdviceOrganizing

Frugal Organizational Ideas for a Small Apartment

I live in a small two bedroom apartment with my fiance and two kids. I am wondering of how to organize our apartment in a cheap/frugal way. I am have a very low income and can't even afford a dresser. So instead I am buying one of those "portable" clothing racks. It will only cost be 15 bucks or so.

By Krystal from Kenora, Ontario

Well the trick to cluttering a small apartment is to go up the walls. One of the things I did was I got a hold of some milk crates and built a pyramid type book case but used it to hold all kinds of stuff in my bedroom from small apparrel like socks to my bathroom bag. You can use wire to connect them and make them less likely to fall apart on you. You can also attach them to the wall with a couple wires and a thumb tack or two. I used to use the plastic colorful ones that stuck out a bit.

Maybe you could afford a 'rubbermaid closet configurator'? They are about a hundred bucks and not that hard to install. Just make sure you put the nails in studs. You can even mount these on walls.

You might find it tippy. If you can just hang a closet rod from the ceiling. It doesn't give you shelving but it's dirt cheap to make. Someone is usually giving pallets away with salvagable boards. Carefully taken apart you should get enough 4' boards to make a shelving unit.

I was in that situation once. I took a 12 foot board and nailed it to the wall. Then I screwed those hanging hooks three feet apart. Then I hung my clothes on hangers from each hook. You can get five hangers on a hook and the whole board holds a lot of clothes. It doesn't take up much space in the room and you can put your shoes under the clothes.

Check out the website freecycle.org. People give stuff away...FOR FREE. All you have to do is pick it up. I have NO INCOME and have gotten everything from food to clothes to kids toys, furniture, insulation, paint, and, this morning, a warm winter coat, all in like new condition! I either walk over with my wagon, if it is close, or take the bus and a fold up cart (also gotten from them). You can get dressers, beds, and storage units! I have a friend who picks up the big stuff for me. Great site, and there is one in every city!

And p.s.: I live in Winnipeg, so this isn't just an American great site!

Krystal,
I had that one, but it's not worth the money. See what the wheels are on, make 2 out of wood, put a brace from the middle of one to the other (just like in picture) then attach 2 polls of wood on each side and one across. I saw this made somewhere on the internet but forgot where, maybe your fiance can improve on my directions.

Good luck, Joanie

That can be made easier and more supportive. I like the one person who said something about getting a closet rod and doing it to the wall screwing it into wall studs. Freecycle is an awesome place from picking up scrap wood to even storage supplies. Get a book case with a few shelves, and if you have any of those flat rate boxes from post office (their website has them for free with free shipping) and you can organize your socks, under clothes and even t-shirts into these boxes, especially if you have the large ones.

Wish you luck.

I would suggest going to thrift shops such as goodwill and looking. A dresser should not cost much more than $15 there, or go to some garage sales or Craigs list. A dresser is much more practical than a flimsy shirt stand. Ask relatives if they have any to spare also. Good luck.

Try freecycle.org. everything is free. Also, try going to universities after the semester is over, especially expensive ones with high tuition. the rich students throw out all kinds of usable and brand new and brand name stuff. You can pick up Dolce and Gabana, great furniture, anything. There is competition from the maintenance people and some other students who know this secret.Best if you know a student who will guide you or make friends with a student.