Cinco De MayoParties

Pinata Safety Tips

A pinata at a fiesta is great fun, but can be very dangerous if the hitter is still swinging when the pinata is broken and the kids rush in. I organize this activity by instructing the kids that no one can move until I blow a whistle, or yell a word really loud like "ARRIBA" meaning it's safe to run. As a teacher, I once had a child nearly stampeded to death so I now err on the side of caution. It's a good idea to have an extra bag of treats available in case some of the less aggressive kids don't get much.

By Linda from Vista, CA

By Lynda (Guest Post)

I KNEW there was something I didn't know about having a Pinata at a party. I'd planned on making one, but years passed by so quickly that I got no further than the huge box of glossy paper newsprint for the papier mache' I planned to use to MAKE ONE for my grandson. Thank you SOOOOO much for the warning. He's a wild stick swinger and so are a lot of his friends. God bless you. : )

You're a smart teacher to watch out for your kids like this. All those videos of pinata-swatting on "America's Funniest Home Videos" aren't really funny.

By Amie (Guest Post)

Good idea!
Maybe the kids can't run to get the treats until the bat swinger has hung his/her swinging bat up 10 metres away or something.