FleasPets

Do Fleas Jump Off of Pets After Treatment?

When a pet is given the first dose of Advantage or Revolution, do the fleas jump off the pet and into the environment? Or do the fleas die from the chemicals? I am asking this because I'm wondering if I should put the cat outside for a while? Is it okay for it to sleep on my bed right after giving the dose? I don't want the fleas to jump off of my cat and onto my sheets!

By Cyinda from the WA

I have never observed fleas jumping off my dog from a treatment of Advantix. However, they do jump off the dog onto beds, couches, rugs, etc. before the treatment. That's often how I found out the dog had fleas. I guess it's that time of year again :(

No, the fleas don't jump off after the treatment.

Anonymous

Well yes they do! I luckily put a towel down after on my bed and the cat got up after about 4 hours. Thankfully I decided to turn the light on and look at the towel and there were at least 40 fleas crawling all Over most definitely alive! I don't know if they would have died but it was hours after treatment and I am still finding them.

The cat has never been on my bed before or even in my room. It's my dads cat. I just wanted to keep an eye as have heard it can make them sick

To the person claiming no, they dont jump off. You are 100% absolutely incorrect and you are not knowledgable about fleas. Please stop claiming to be!

No, they dont jump off. They may fall off when they die, but I never saw any. I did notice that any fleas living in my carpet jumped onto the cat and died also. Any hatching fleas died the dame way. I know I had fleas in my carpet when I treated the cat and I havent seen any for 3 years now (indoor cats). I never had to treat again.

They do. I just treated with Bravecto and they started jumping off for dear life.

When I applied revelution the fleas DID start jumping off. I combed her an hour after application and the fleas moved slower and I saw a lot more crawling around in her fur then I did on her skin. They were a lot easier to get off of her. I just combed her a 2nd time and It's been 10 hrs since her application and there are still fleas moving on her.

I hope the rest die because I know she can't have another application for 30 days. I also hope the live fleas that have jumped off or that I've combed off die because I combed her in my garage.

Anonymous

I just treated my cat with revolution after finding a tick on my son. I didn't even know we had fleas and all of a sudden I'm getting bitten. I think they are leaving the cat from the treatment as I wasn't getting bitten before the treatment.

I've noticed the fleas moving closer to there pp area obviously because the medicine is applied to the back of there necks they do jump off when you try to grab them unless they run away fast enough before you can grab them above the hair over all they try to stay on the dogs or cats body also I have noticed a 1 or 2 on my leggings while i was washing my face hoping they will die still even tho they got off my dogs the directions for the meds say you have to wait a month to reapply so I figure the solution will continue to work n kill the fleas and eggs fingers crossed feel so bad for the little guys I'll keep yall posted

I just treated my cat with Advantage II and it did sleep on my bed. (as usual) Well, for the next 2 nights, I kept waking up with bites all over me. Didn't see anything biting me.

I am covered with bites from head to toe. I looked good at the bed and there are fleas under the sheets, on the mattress, and on the blankets. They certainly do jump off the cat after treatment!!! I am proof!!

Hi there. How have u gotten rid of them since?

They aren't jumping off as much as they are falling off and dying....

I sprayed with another formula of flea riddant and they have been jumping off like crazy. Literally jumping ship!