FleasPets

Do Fleas Jump Off of Pets After Treatment?

When a pet is given the first dose of Advantage or Revolution, do the fleas jump off the pet and into the environment? Or do the fleas die from the chemicals? I am asking this because I'm wondering if I should put the cat outside for a while? Is it okay for it to sleep on my bed right after giving the dose? I don't want the fleas to jump off of my cat and onto my sheets!

By Cyinda from the WA

I have never observed fleas jumping off my dog from a treatment of Advantix. However, they do jump off the dog onto beds, couches, rugs, etc. before the treatment. That's often how I found out the dog had fleas. I guess it's that time of year again :(

Anyone claiming that fleas dont jump off after treatment or they dont have any in their bed is in flat out denial!!! This insistent denial wont fix your problem. The first step is acceptance in you have a flea problem and if your animal is in your bed not only does your pet have fleas so do you and they are biting you. As soon as you treat with whatever it is your using fleas will jump off and in most cases are dying and will be dead. This is all common sense. The best remedy as someone said is comb and wash with dawn dish soap, this kills a good majority of them then you apply advantage or whatever to kill the rest of them.

You will see your pet react because the fleas are reacting to the poison thats killing them. Would you stick around to die? Neither do they, they are doing whatever possible to escape the poison. Vigilance is key, comb out dead fleas and vacuum and keep an eye out for more activity, you cant retreat with most poisons but you can wash with dawn to get whatever is left and never let them sleep with you after treatments, but that should be common sense! It is poison and its not good for you either.

No, the fleas don't jump off after the treatment.

Anonymous

Well yes they do! I luckily put a towel down after on my bed and the cat got up after about 4 hours. Thankfully I decided to turn the light on and look at the towel and there were at least 40 fleas crawling all Over most definitely alive!

I don't know if they would have died but it was hours after treatment and I am still finding them. The cat has never been on my bed before or even in my room. It's my dads cat. I just wanted to keep an eye as have heard it can make them sick

To the person claiming no, they dont jump off. You are 100% absolutely incorrect and you are not knowledgable about fleas. Please stop claiming to be!

I just woke up with fea on me and crawling on our sheets. We put advantage 11 on him about 8 hours ago. When they come off do they die?

Yes,, they do jump off....and on bravecto, unless they bite they do not die....I have ticks and fleas in my bed...I use diamatraceous earth, the food grade under my sheets...and around bed legs...kills them dead....fab product...still like my flea meds though

I just used Pet Armor liquid flea form and flea's are jumping off of my kitten and don't seem to be dieing like the Pet Armor promised! Now I don't know what to do!?

Wrong, yes they definitely do!

Use salt and/or baking soda in your carpets. It dries out the eggs, pupae, larvae. The fleas will eventually die if they don't have a host to suck blood from. Whatever you do, don't use flea bombs. They made the fleas worse in our house.

There were more after we flea bombed than before. And, no, they didn't eventually die off because of the flea bombs either. Also, put out pans of soapy water underneath night lights on the floor. The fleas jump in and drown in the soapy water. We are now flea-free after doing these things.

They don't jump off they rise to the top of the animal and fall off dead. I switched from Frontline Plus to the Frontline Gold. The Plus didn't work as well this year. , I find fleas but only dead ones that fall off or when they rise to the top and I see them I remove them. This is after their daily walls.
It means your product is working if they are dead when you find them. I'm not finding any live fleas and we started treating the yard with Diametacious Earth.

There's some subtle difference between the plus and the Gold. My dogs don't go crazy scratching and I wasn't finding dead fleas with the plus. They are scratching with the Frontline Gold.
I also bathe them weekly

I just put that all over my apartment today praying it works.

Can you tell me where I can order this online?

Was using a nit comb on the dog and one jumped off the nit comb! This was after treatment

You can order from Amazon, get the foid grade not the one for swimming pools. I get my mine from an organic nursery. I got a flour sifter and sifted all over my little yard, porch, deck and in my gravel driveway. Then I got the puffer. Make sure you order one of those too. And puffed it along baseboards, window seals on pet bedding and just basically all over my house. Lol

See 6yrs ago we had 6months of hell with a flea/bird mite infestation and after spending thousands on exterminator, vacuuming everyday, salting carpets, everything you can do, we called this organic gardener and he told us about diatomaceous earth and these lights with sticky inserts that attract all kinds of flying bugs and i kid you nit, within 2days gone. We were amazed and relieved cause the bird mites are relentless. I out revolution and rub DE on my cat. Also sprinkle a little in their food to get rid of tapeworms. My czt won't eat it if he sees me putting in his food, so I have to do it sneaky like. I was reading you can take a spoonful for cleansing your gut, but never tired it. Good luck

No one mentions fleas jumping from pets to humans. Something is eating me alive and its been a week or so since I gave them the 90 day pill. Please if anyone has any suggestions for me on what to do like a lotion or cream someone maybe tried. Thank you. Denise

I gave my cat Capstar can I give PetArmor Plus at the same time they both make the fleas jump off and die

Anonymous

Have a glass of boiling hot water with a little dish soap in it and try and get the damn flea into the boiling water before it jumps. Then have a cold glass of water to cool the comb down and keep on grooming. Have a towel at the ready to dry comb in between. Also, if you can, do pet outside (but this is not often as easy as it sounds i.e. access, weather etc). Or if you can do in an area with no carpet, or rugs i.e. laundry. But even then - ya just know they will jump on ya.

Yes..i put my cats out for the day after flea treatment....its common sence x

Lie! Took my cat to vet sat got her treated came home this am and boom house infested.

I agree. My dog has seresto collar and gets topical flea treatment once a month. The dog is so protected that he's good but my bed and house are not.

Anonymous

You dont need to use boiling hot water. Just blue dawn dish detergent works with any temperature water.

Anonymous

That is because it worked. All the pupae are coming out looking for a host and your animal is not ideal with treatment

Anonymous

I go crazy with chigger bites. Chiggers in yard and garden. Don't bother anyone else in family

That's super dangerous! The Seresto collar is a topical treatment! You can't give a separate topical in addition. That's a recipe for killing your dog. My vet worries that the Seresto alone puts too much medicine in my dog, adding another chemical is way too much.

Anonymous

I'm new to this: but in my humble opinion people report from their own experiences. Why be mean?

What are the sticky inserts called?

Anonymous

My mom just told me about that. It's called flea stop.

No, they dont jump off. They may fall off when they die, but I never saw any. I did notice that any fleas living in my carpet jumped onto the cat and died also. Any hatching fleas died the dame way. I know I had fleas in my carpet when I treated the cat and I havent seen any for 3 years now (indoor cats). I never had to treat again.

They do. I just treated with Bravecto and they started jumping off for dear life.

When I applied revelution the fleas DID start jumping off. I combed her an hour after application and the fleas moved slower and I saw a lot more crawling around in her fur then I did on her skin. They were a lot easier to get off of her. I just combed her a 2nd time and It's been 10 hrs since her application and there are still fleas moving on her. I hope the rest die because I know she can't have another application for 30 days. I also hope the live fleas that have jumped off or that I've combed off die because I combed her in my garage.

Anonymous

I just treated my cat with revolution after finding a tick on my son. I didn't even know we had fleas and all of a sudden I'm getting bitten. I think they are leaving the cat from the treatment as I wasn't getting bitten before the treatment.

I've noticed the fleas moving closer to there pp area obviously because the medicine is applied to the back of there necks they do jump off when you try to grab them unless they run away fast enough before you can grab them above the hair over all they try to stay on the dogs or cats body also I have noticed a 1 or 2 on my leggings while i was washing my face hoping they will die still even tho they got off my dogs the directions for the meds say you have to wait a month to reapply so I figure the solution will continue to work n kill the fleas and eggs fingers crossed feel so bad for the little guys I'll keep yall posted

I just treated my cat with Advantage II and it did sleep on my bed. (as usual) Well, for the next 2 nights, I kept waking up with bites all over me. Didn't see anything biting me. I am covered with bites from head to toe. I looked good at the bed and there are fleas under the sheets, on the mattress, and on the blankets. They certainly do jump off the cat after treatment!!! I am proof!!

Hi there. How have u gotten rid of them since?

They aren't jumping off as much as they are falling off and dying....

First of all,if you cat or dog has fleas, you need to first...buy Capstar, it's a pill that kills fleas for 24 hours and they will all be dead. Then apply the Revolution or the Advantage. You have to really treat the environment also.. And please.....get the bug protectors for your bed. The fleas are horrible creatures. I hate that they co-habit this environment and torment our furry friends and us too. My vet told me that the fleas were biting me because i was on blood thinners and they didn't have to inject an anticoagulant.. But please..get some capstar and it can be given at the same time you treat your animal. I am using Revolution. I used them all, but my vet loves revolution, he said that the fleas were finding resistance to Advantage and Frontline. The fleas are so hard to get rid of. I finally bought a Roomba to continually vacuum. Its a hard battle, but Capstar, spot on and diligent environmental treatment--call an exterminator.. F

Problem with those pills is they will kill the fleas that are on the pet however once they go back outside and get more fleas you would have to give them Capstar again as far as I'm aware. Correct?

I sprayed with another formula of flea riddant and they have been jumping off like crazy. Literally jumping ship!

They die.

I have treated both my cats with Hertz flea meds and they both sleep on my bed and I found no fleas.

Hartz may be killing the fleas but it has been proven deadly to cats as well! Look it up online you'll find lots of articles about it

That is correct- do not use Harts products!! Any vet, SPCA, etc will tell you to stay away from it. Before we knew this my daughter had sprayed the carpeting with it and we now have a cat with neurological problems. He was fine before this.

Yup! Fleas can get of the pet as they are dying. Most flea products cause a hyperexcitability stage when they first start to kill the flea. These are the fleas you are seeing that come up to the surface of the pets coat. Some products work by paralyzing the flea, and as they are dying, they are falling off. Some repel the fleas. With most contact products, even short contact with the treated pet will be enough to kill the flea, it just takes some time. There is nothing on the market that is instantaneous.

I just used front line on my Yorky and two jumped off . Likee you I hope they are dying and not just jumping ship.

Anonymous

Wash your cat in dawn before applying flea treatment. The dawn us safe for your kitten or cat and it kills the fleas currently on your cat. OR, you can dip a flea comb in warm water with dawn and comb through your cats fur. Keep re-dipping the flea comb as the soapy water kills the fleas caught in the comb. I brought in a 5 week old feral kitten and cleaned him in dawn and soapy water before applying flea treatment. Haven't seen any fleas since

Anonymous

Tip; if you have a really bad infestation/or just want to make sure your cat is clean and flea free......give them a warm bath first in a little shampoo. Make the bath deep and slowly immerse the cat in - don't stress him out too much if you can help it. The fleas will DROWN and float to the top of the bath water. Then give them a good dry off, a good groom, lotsa love, a nice meal and then when they are totally dry then do the Flea treatment. Cats hate baths but they might tolerate a one off to get all nice and clean. I did mine in the laundry sink after he had been stuck down a drain for 2 weeks.
PS the fleas don't jump off of mine after flea treatment unless outbreak is severe - and then they definitely would.

Pets FleasMay 26, 2010
🎃
🌻
🎂