DishesCleaning

Removing Carbon from a Pan Bottom

How do I clean thick carbon off a thick bottom frying pan. It's old but fab, the type your gran had, but it's covered with 1/8 of an inch of thick black hard carbon. I think thats what it is!

Samantha from Kent, England

Most likely it is a cast iron skillet. Mom used (and still does) to get a pile of leaves burning and toss her skillet into the fire to cook that mess off. Just make sure there is not a burn ban first.

If it is something else, let us know. Usually I use brillo pad to get burned on foods from other pots and pans that don't have Teflon.

if its a cast iron skillet, just throw it in the hot coals after grilling. It will burn all the gunk off. Wash it well after it cools and reseason.

I have not tried this but people say it works-- take a garbage bag and put the pan in and add ammonia and leave this set overnight (probably in the garage) may have to do it more than once. Can't hurt to try it. janiem

Editor's Note: Don't try this with an aluminum pan, it may discolor it.

I would try oven cleaner. It works on a lot more things than just ovens. Hope it works!!

Pour some cola into the pan bring it to the boil and let it cool, is usually comes off in one piece, sometimes you may have a few little bits to scrub but it usually comes off really easy. I've used this method lots of times and it works! Strange but true.

I bought a copper bottom pot from a garage sale. The bottom was caked with a layer of carbon so obvs it was well loved! I used Bar Keepers Friend on it and after the first application, I was impressed. It got about 75% clean with some scrubbing. I'm going for a round 2 that hopefully knocks out the rest!! I'll keep you posted.