Sewing Material With Sequins?

Category Sewing

I'm having a hard time sewing with material that is covered with sequins. I tried a small zig-zag stich and it didn't work. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Melly

By susan (Guest Post)

When I was sewing costumes we would cut all the sequins out of the seam allowance before sewing the seam. Just snip them out with your scissors and that makes all the difference. But be sure you don't cut out too far into the body of the garment. Good luck!

Try a straight stitch, but with a size 16 needle. Make sure it is a new one, so it's nice and sharp.
Good Luck

By Rose. (Guest Post)

If the sequins are sewn on, you need to remove them on the line you are sewing. If they are glued on, I have no good idea. My MOM ended up sewing 2 or 3 stitches and then rubbing the needle with rubbing alcohol to get the glue off.

She said it was very slow/rough going. I know there has to be a better way. Try calling the store (any fabric store) and ask someone there that sews. They might have a better answer than anything we can come up with.

By OrahLee (Guest Post)

BE CAREFUL cutting away the stitched on sequins or beads. Smash the beads with pliers or cut the sequin only! Cut the attaching thread and there goes the whole line of pretties! Good luck! Patience, and you'll have a masterpiece!

Crafts SewingMay 5, 2005
🌻
📓
🐛
😎
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf984445.tip.html

SewingCrafts