MiscellaneousHome Improvement

Diverting Water Going Through Yard

We live on a high hill and water is washing sand (in the woods) onto our driveway that winds down to the street (steep hill, steep driveway). We have one person think it is rainwater runoff and another saying it could possibly be an underground spring (which we know we have anyway). Would the best solution be to put a drain to divert the water, or a catch basin in the yard hooked to a pipe to divert the water? What are your thoughts?

Gordon from Madison, MS

i have a similar problem the rain wipes out the driveway and there is a natural spring higher on the property. The cost has been a big factor for me as I'm on a limited income, but we have come up with a few ideas. Like paving the driveway after building it up. This would divert water to the side.

I've also thought about putting in a ditch off the driveway, and funneling water to a man made pond, both I think are good ideas. I think money would be an issue for me and maybe you too so in the mean time im putting paver stones in for walking and building up drive way a little at a time starting at the bottom as we started at the top and it took about 5 good rains to bring it down driveway in any case you are not alone.