ShoppingFrugal Living

Check Craigslist First Before You Buy

A great place to get furniture, appliances, baby needs, and more! When I am interested in buying a new item, I write it on a post-it note by my computer. I check during my daily internet surf for any items I am looking for. I have purchased a handful of times with success.

As with any purchase, you must use your head (Is it a good deal? Does it work?). But don't take my word for it, check out your local www.craigslist.org (select your state and bookmark the page). Also, it's free to post your own classified with photos! Happy searching!

Heather

And don't forget your local Freecycle group! A great site to get used things you need and to give away used things you no longer need. Sometimes people are even giving away new items. Like Heather said, though, use your head. Be careful you're not bringing anything with termites, fleas, roaches or anything with an odor into your house.

I have used both Craigslist and Freecycle with GREAT success. BUT recently in my area there have been some VERY violent crimes where people have posted items and used it as a trap to get people alone.

So if you do decide to use these sites please make sure you make your transactions in very public places and if possiable not alone.

I use craigslist all the time and I have found that the best time (and prices!) for items are towards the end of the month. People need to move before the end of the month and that is when the price drops.