Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Babysitting Activity Ideas

Having planned activities for the children when you babysit can help make it a positive experience for everyone. This is a guide about babysitting activity ideas.

I babysit two boys, one is three and the other is five. I babysit them for two hours every Wednesday and Friday. I am looking for ideas for activities to do with them. They both love dinosaurs, superheroes, board games, and charades. Now I can't play any games, if there is going to be a winner because they get really upset if they don't win. If you could leave some ideas to do with the kids that be great!

How about drawing? Drawing dinosaurs and making a story out of their drawing. Or arts & crafts.

Coloring, make masks out of paper plates (see pinterest), plant a small garden or container garden, picture bingo (instead of letters and numbers, its colors and pictures--easy to make and it helps them learn their colors, or shapes or whatever you put on their cards), crafts, make a bird house or bird feed out of 2 or 3 liter bottles, cook (such as no bake cookies, ants on a log or other things that don't really require cooking), make sock puppets and put on a show, read a chapter book (a chapter or 2 each day)

Here is a dinosaur themed list for you for kids 3-5 years of age. I used this for my niece who is dino-obsessed at 5 years old :)

http://www.scho … es-3-5-year-olds

Read books. This instills a love for reading and teaches them how to sit still. Play dough and watercolor are always fun. Make tents with blankets.

I'm 15 and I'm watching a 5 year old girl and a 7 year old girl from 4pm to 11pm. What fun activities should I do with them?

By Kayleigh

Best Answer

Kids love to play dress up. That would be a fun thing. If they don't have things that they can use, go through your own closets and your mom's for things like skirts, old dresses, vests, scarves, long strings of beads, old high heels, etc. Playing dressup and let's pretend is a great thing.

I also think that you should be able to take the girls outside to a park or playground every day, as long as the weather is suitable. Fresh air and exercise are very important. Play catch, frisbee, soccer, with them, or just let them play on playground equipment. You could take them for bike rides, if they have bikes and can ride them.

Another great outdoor fun activity is blowing bubbles. You can look on the internet for recipes (mostly just dish detergent, I think) , and ways to make a giant bubble maker. If not, just a bottle of bubbles that likely costs about $1 from the dollar store will provide hours of fun.

Be sure to read to the girls every day. Most kids are not read to enough. You could maybe incorporate a trip to the library once a week to pick up books for reading. If the 7 year old has reading to do every day from school, you could do that as well. There is no need for this not to be a fun time! Treat it like a special time rather than as a chore.

You could teach the girls how to make their own snacks in the kitchen -- cutting up fruit, making instant pudding, setting a table and having a nice "tea party" like atmosphere to after school snack. Alternately, you could take some snacks and make a picnic out of it, even if you just have juice and cookies out in the back yard. My babysitter did that with my kids, and they loved it.

You could do little art projects with them as well. There are many inexpensive things you could do -- play doh made from home made recipes that you could find on the net, colouring eggs for easter (get permission from the mom for this, of course), using whatever art supplies they have at home to paint pictures or draw.

I am babysitting a 5 year old. Any thing specific? She is a girl loves Spider Man. Last time I watched her we watched every Spider Man movie show. Any ideas? I already color Spider Man pictures with her.

make her own spiderman mask and play spiderman

I'm babysitting 6 kids 2, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. I have 3 girls and three boys and they all have different tastes except crafts. Anyone have any other activities I could do with them?

I was doing not only craft projects with my granddaughter, but also "experiments". We have had a lot of fun with this. Look up experiments and/or activities to do with kids and the age range. There are a lot of sites with some great things to do.

If your yard is fenced, get them outside playing games.

Do some activities they will all like. Boys and girls games. I babysit children too, and here are some of the things i do with them. Go to the park, play with water balloons, play with chalk, go for a walk, blow bubbles, read them books, have a dance party, bake food, make a pillow fort, make an indoor obstacle course, play hide and seek, and watch movies. I hoped this helps you, best of luck!!

What fun stuff can you do with a 5 year old and a 7 year old?

By Ally

You find some good board games for a 5 year old, I bet the 7 year old would be willing to play along. Simple crafts can also be fun at that age, maybe make some homemade playdough (recipe is on this site). Also, ask them what they want to do, let them each pick an activity and take turns.

I spy, hunt the thimble (or small toy), hide and seek and then read them a story before bed to calm them down.

Marg from England.

I made a fun "campsite" in my living room one rainy day. We took a folding table & draped a quilt over that, my great grandson has a small tent which we put against the table end. They pretended that was their camper. We took a cooling rack with legs & that was their camp stove. I let them use my battery powered lantern inside. We gathered up stuff from the kitchen for cooking utensils & they had a really good time. I wanted to do it on the back deck but it rained. You could have a wading pool out there. The possibilities are endless!

You can play outside with a Frisbee, soccer ball, tennis rackets, go on the playground, etc. You can also play dress-up with dresses, makeup, jewelry, high heels, and hair clips. You could make a reading fort out of blankets and chairs and read together, you could have them help you cook to have a "picnic", you could play "the floor is lava", if they have pets, you could play with them. Whatever you do and it could be dangerous or messy, check with the parents first.

I need help thinking of ideas for babysitting 5 younger kids.

By love s.

This time of year you could make home-made Christmas decorations such as cutting out snow flakes, making a paper chain, etc. I think as long as you're doing something with kids, they're happy. Help them write Christmas cards. Help them make an "I'm thankful for" jar with slips of paper writing things they're thankful for such as all my toys, my pretty bedroom, my warm winter coat, etc. etc. Google age appropriate ideas and I'm sure you can come up with plenty of things. Maybe think of things you yourself liked to do at their age.

Your local library has many books on activities for kids!

I would like your advice on what activities I should do when I babysit two girls? They are 8 and 10, but the ten year old had a tumor removed from her head. I am not sure what types of activities I could do with both of them. Please help me.

By Montana U.

I think you should ask the mom what the girls like to do, especially since one of them has had this surgery. There may be limitations on her activities that you need to know about.

Most girls like to do some sort of craft idea. Beading, making friendship bracelets, etc come to mind. See if you have things left over from when you were young or look online or at the library for craft activities made with recycled objects, so that your cost will be very low. Maybe things like easy origami projects or paperbag puppets or popsicle stick projects would be suitable.

Just watch a nice relaxing kids movie and make popcorn and some other fun movie food 

What are some things both a one year old and 3 year old would enjoy?

By Kaylyn K.

Of course there's always Cheerios, string them, put paste on a paper plate and let both kids make pictures (esp colored cereal). Cover a wall with butcher paper and let them draw on it with washable markers, or draw on the sidewalk with chalk. Just watch them play together and you'll get more ideas.

Match cards always work with young kiddos! Cut out the same size rectangles (from card stock or, if you want to be extra "green", try cereal or other boxes). Cover pairs of the rectangles with the same pictures (from magazines or, better yet, pics of family members!). Glue the pics onto the card stock, then cover with a coating of Mod Podge or cover them with clear Con Tac. To play, just flip the pictures onto the other side and have the kids turn over one and then another one, trying to make a match. This game also helps with memory, taking turns, etc. Have fun!

A package of plastic easter eggs that can be purchased from the dollar store can be used to play hide the egg. My grand daughter loves to do this. Eggs can be hidden in the house or outside whichever is best according to the weather. This is her favorite.

I have babysat these kids before, they are 4 and 9. They want to play house, Barbies, etc. constantly. I mean all day long literally. I need something that they will like just as much and be time consuming so they can have a variety of things to do. Also whenever they don't get to play they always get really upset.
P.S. In case I didn't make it clear I have to play "with" them.

By Nicole

You might make playdoh with them, and then they could play with that for some time. You can either put it in a plastic bag or tupperware container to use another time, or let the little creations dry out. They are many recipes online. Just goggle "playdoh". Some you have to cook, but many are quite satisfactory made with salt and flour and water. Another interesting thing to make is what I call magic mud (others call it something else-ooblek?). You mix some water with some cornstarch -- don't mix massive amounts -- about 2 tablespoons per person should do -- with water. Add the water a bit at a time until the mixture is sort of runny. Then you will notice that it becomes solid when you squeeze it and when you let go, it oozes back out through your fingers. It is just a fun thing to play with, but I have had grade 9 students make it in science class and they had a great time, so I am sure little kids will find it fascinating. You might also teach them some board games, like snakes and ladders -- easy games with counting -- not something complicated like Monopoly, as you have to interest the 4 year old as well as the 9 year old. If they don't own games like that, and you don't, you can likely get them for $1 or so at thrift shops or yard sales. You could also teach them some card games like War or Concentration. If you don't know how to play these games, google for information or find a book at the library with card games for children. And there is always reading to them. Next time you have to sit with them, come prepared with a pile of really interesting story books. Again, if you don't own any, pay a visit to your local library and pick some up. If these kids have a lot of books, they will appreciate new ones. If they have none at their house, you will be doing everyone a favor by introducing them to books. Get the librarian to help you if you are not sure what to get. I recommend books by Robert Munch. I have never met a child who didn't like those stories. You might get the kids interested in other crafts that lead into pretending activities, which they seem to like. I would suggest making popsicle stick puppets or paperbag puppets. You could make the puppets to go with one of the books you have read (even simple stories like Three LIttle Pigs), they could then play with them and act out the stories.

Can somebody give me good baby sitting tips for 9 year olds and 5 year olds please?

By Adison from Kansas City

9- If you were going to give her cookies, play a game, or watch a movie, if she gets into trouble tell her that s/he won't be aloud to do the fun activity until she behaves. Play fun games that are educational, involve physical activity, or are fun to both of you. Some are "the floor is lava", play dress up with dresses, makeup, and jewelry, play outside with a soccer ball or Frisbee, play with pets, play i-spy, help her/him cook, watch a movie.

The younger child- Bring a coloring book for him/her, roll a ball back and forth, read to him\her, or play hide n seek.

I am babysitting a 4 year old boy and a & year old girl tomorrow for 13 hours. They are tired of my ideas, please help. We have done playdoh, painting, facepaint bear caves (decorating paper cups), forts, movies, baking, water fights, pretend, nail polish, cars, dolls, and pipe cleaner bottles. Please help.

By Callie C.

Here are some websites to find ideas.

www.first-school.ws

dltk-kids.com

-A trip to a local playground or park can also kill time, especially when combined with blowing bubbles, scavenger hunts for various animals/insects/plants/flower, or swings.

-Have the kids get into their swimsuits and play with the graden hose or waterguns. You could also fill up water balloons.

-Have the kids get their favorite books (or pick out you own) design props and act out the stories. Good Luck!

I'm babysitting tomorrow and I need some ideas for some activities i can do. There are 4 kids, 3 boys and a girl, (youngest to oldest boys ages- 3,6,8, girl- 11).
If you have any suggestions, that would be great!

By Caitlin r

Art and outdoors is what I liked when I was a kid. I also had brothers those ages.

Parenting Teen EmploymentJune 27, 2013
babysitter with two kids
Saving Money on Babysitting
How To Recycle Paper
Making Recycled Paper
Child Playing at Summer Childcare Center
Ideas for Summer Childcare
Cardboard Christmas tree photo from an earlier Thriftyfun project.
Making a Cardboard Christmas Tree
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 23, 2017 at 11:29:26 AM on 10.0.2.61 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.