Babysitting Activity Ideas

Having planned activities for the children when you babysit can help make it a positive experience for everyone. This is a guide about babysitting activity ideas.

May 27, 2016 Flag

I'm babysitting a 5 year old boy until 5:00 today and I am miserable. He can't stay occupied for very long, he's demanding, and starts to cry when he doesn't get his way. If I can keep him occupied he's a very well behaved kid, but I have run out of ideas. Help!

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Well, since it usually takes about a week for your post to get on here, your day is over. It should not be up to you to come up with things for him to do. His parents would be "entertaining" him if they were with him, so you may want to ask them what he likes to do and have them supply you with what works.

It is wonderful that you care enough but you are not responsible. He might just have to cry some to make him see he isn't always going to get his own way. In the mean time, relax. If you are called back on a regular basis, have a sit-down with his parents and come up with a game plan. Good luck!

play tag with him

go slow so he can tag u

or play hide and seek

but hide in an easy to see place

April 20, 2016 Flag

I am babysitting a 2 year old boy for the first time, I have never met him nor the mother. I am stumped on activites and fun things he will enjoy doing. Do any of you have some ideas? Also, what are some tips to stop a 2 year old from crying/having a tantrum? I am 13 years old. Thanks!

Good question I am 13 myself and when you are babysitting little ones you need to make shure you have met the parent's it is important.becuase say the kid got sick or has aleggicts you need to have all the information including emergency contacts. and before you say ''she is only 13 what could she know''. I went to a babysitting program 4-H camp only for the day it really helped. and when the baby is upseat you might want to check his/her diaper and if they are having a tantrum put them to time out but ask the parents first. I hope I answed your question if I didn't sorry

I'm 13 too and I think you could, play hide and seek, read books, play blocks, listen to kid music, playing ball or a puppet show

March 21, 2014 Flag

I'm 15 and I'm watching a 5 year old girl and a 7 year old girl from 4pm to 11pm. What fun activities should I do with them?

By Kayleigh

Best Answer

Kids love to play dress up. That would be a fun thing. If they don't have things that they can use, go through your own closets and your mom's for things like skirts, old dresses, vests, scarves, long strings of beads, old high heels, etc. Playing dressup and let's pretend is a great thing.

I also think that you should be able to take the girls outside to a park or playground every day, as long as the weather is suitable. Fresh air and exercise are very important. Play catch, frisbee, soccer, with them, or just let them play on playground equipment. You could take them for bike rides, if they have bikes and can ride them.

Another great outdoor fun activity is blowing bubbles. You can look on the internet for recipes (mostly just dish detergent, I think) , and ways to make a giant bubble maker. If not, just a bottle of bubbles that likely costs about $1 from the dollar store will provide hours of fun.

Be sure to read to the girls every day. Most kids are not read to enough. You could maybe incorporate a trip to the library once a week to pick up books for reading. If the 7 year old has reading to do every day from school, you could do that as well. There is no need for this not to be a fun time! Treat it like a special time rather than as a chore.

You could teach the girls how to make their own snacks in the kitchen -- cutting up fruit, making instant pudding, setting a table and having a nice "tea party" like atmosphere to after school snack. Alternately, you could take some snacks and make a picnic out of it, even if you just have juice and cookies out in the back yard. My babysitter did that with my kids, and they loved it.

You could do little art projects with them as well. There are many inexpensive things you could do -- play doh made from home made recipes that you could find on the net, colouring eggs for easter (get permission from the mom for this, of course), using whatever art supplies they have at home to paint pictures or draw.

I am babysitting a 5 year old. Any thing specific? She is a girl loves Spider Man. Last time I watched her we watched every Spider Man movie show. Any ideas? I already color Spider Man pictures with her.

September 20, 2015 Flag

I'm babysitting 6 kids 2, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. I have 3 girls and three boys and they all have different tastes except crafts. Anyone have any other activities I could do with them?

I was doing not only craft projects with my granddaughter, but also "experiments". We have had a lot of fun with this. Look up experiments and/or activities to do with kids and the age range. There are a lot of sites with some great things to do.

If your yard is fenced, get them outside playing games.

August 28, 2007 Flag

My mom and her friend Lisa are having a girls night out and I am watching Lisa's daughter. I am eleven years old and we live with my grandparents and they would be right downstairs along with my three other siblings. The little girl's name is Gabriella. I was wondering if you had any tips on what kind of games and activities I could do with her?

She is 7 years old and loves girly stuff, I thought maybe makeovers with my "BIG GIRL STUFF" as my little sisters and their friends call it. Lisa has known my mom from home school groups, so she knows me pretty well and obviously trusts me. I will be charging her $5.00 for the night since this is my first time. But I want Ella to go home wanting me to babysit her again. So please feel free to post your thoughts on this. Also, if you know any small things I can do to maybe earn me some tips!

Mackenzie from Millington, TN

When I baby sit I usually see what they like to do. Most all kids under eleven like to play with stuff an average person would. You can make puppets from paper bags. You could get on line and print coloring sheets. You could get some high heels and stuff and let them have a fashion show. You could let them dance to music. You could take them to a park if there is one nearby. Take them for a walk. Make up some creative things out of old materials. Trust me, I do this all the time. It actually works.

I am 15 and I babysit a 7 year old girl. She is very indecisive, and she also loves girly things. What I do, is I let her and I go up to my room and we do "beauty makeovers." She absolutely loves those. First, I do her, then she does my makeup. We also, play with dolls, do puzzles, charades, and one game my cousin made up for me when i was younger: Write on little pieces of paper of where to look to find another clue, and they have to figure out where that is, then when they find it, they have another clue. When they are done, give them a prize (candy, etc.)

Good luck!

July 1, 2013 Flag

What fun stuff can you do with a 5 year old and a 7 year old?

By Ally

I made a fun "campsite" in my living room one rainy day. We took a folding table & draped a quilt over that, my great grandson has a small tent which we put against the table end. They pretended that was their camper. We took a cooling rack with legs & that was their camp stove. I let them use my battery powered lantern inside. We gathered up stuff from the kitchen for cooking utensils & they had a really good time. I wanted to do it on the back deck but it rained. You could have a wading pool out there. The possibilities are endless!

You can play outside with a Frisbee, soccer ball, tennis rackets, go on the playground, etc. You can also play dress-up with dresses, makeup, jewelry, high heels, and hair clips. You could make a reading fort out of blankets and chairs and read together, you could have them help you cook to have a "picnic", you could play "the floor is lava", if they have pets, you could play with them. Whatever you do and it could be dangerous or messy, check with the parents first.

November 24, 2014 Flag

I need help thinking of ideas for babysitting 5 younger kids.

By love s.

This time of year you could make home-made Christmas decorations such as cutting out snow flakes, making a paper chain, etc. I think as long as you're doing something with kids, they're happy. Help them write Christmas cards. Help them make an "I'm thankful for" jar with slips of paper writing things they're thankful for such as all my toys, my pretty bedroom, my warm winter coat, etc. etc. Google age appropriate ideas and I'm sure you can come up with plenty of things. Maybe think of things you yourself liked to do at their age.

Your local library has many books on activities for kids!

September 27, 2013 Flag

I would like your advice on what activities I should do when I babysit two girls? They are 8 and 10, but the ten year old had a tumor removed from her head. I am not sure what types of activities I could do with both of them. Please help me.

By Montana U.

I think you should ask the mom what the girls like to do, especially since one of them has had this surgery. There may be limitations on her activities that you need to know about.

Most girls like to do some sort of craft idea. Beading, making friendship bracelets, etc come to mind. See if you have things left over from when you were young or look online or at the library for craft activities made with recycled objects, so that your cost will be very low. Maybe things like easy origami projects or paperbag puppets or popsicle stick projects would be suitable.

July 25, 2013 Flag

What are some things both a one year old and 3 year old would enjoy?

July 7, 2012 Flag

I'm babysitting a 5 year old girl from 10:00am to 8:00pm every single day. She has gotten bored with most things we do, so I need something creative and I prefer it to be inside, because it's way too hot.

Load More
Parenting Teen EmploymentJune 27, 2013
babysitter with two kids
Saving Money on Babysitting
How To Recycle Paper
Making Recycled Paper
Child Playing at Summer Childcare Center
Ideas for Summer Childcare
Cardboard Christmas tree photo from an earlier Thriftyfun project.
Making a Cardboard Christmas Tree
🎉
🎄