Browsing: Babysitting Activity Ideas

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Babysitting Activity Ideas

Having planned activities for the children when you babysit can help make it a positive experience for everyone. This is a guide about babysitting activity ideas.

A girl babysitting two children.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

May 27, 2016 Flag

I'm babysitting a 5 year old boy until 5:00 today and I am miserable. He can't stay occupied for very long, he's demanding, and starts to cry when he doesn't get his way. If I can keep him occupied he's a very well behaved kid, but I have run out of ideas. Help!

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Well, since it usually takes about a week for your post to get on here, your day is over. It should not be up to you to come up with things for him to do. His parents would be "entertaining" him if they were with him, so you may want to ask them what he likes to do and have them supply you with what works.

It is wonderful that you care enough but you are not responsible. He might just have to cry some to make him see he isn't always going to get his own way. In the mean time, relax. If you are called back on a regular basis, have a sit-down with his parents and come up with a game plan. Good luck!

play tag with him

go slow so he can tag u

or play hide and seek

but hide in an easy to see place

March 21, 2014 Flag

I'm 15 and I'm watching a 5 year old girl and a 7 year old girl from 4pm to 11pm. What fun activities should I do with them?

By Kayleigh

Best Answer

Kids love to play dress up. That would be a fun thing. If they don't have things that they can use, go through your own closets and your mom's for things like skirts, old dresses, vests, scarves, long strings of beads, old high heels, etc. Playing dressup and let's pretend is a great thing.

I also think that you should be able to take the girls outside to a park or playground every day, as long as the weather is suitable. Fresh air and exercise are very important. Play catch, frisbee, soccer, with them, or just let them play on playground equipment. You could take them for bike rides, if they have bikes and can ride them.

Another great outdoor fun activity is blowing bubbles. You can look on the internet for recipes (mostly just dish detergent, I think) , and ways to make a giant bubble maker. If not, just a bottle of bubbles that likely costs about $1 from the dollar store will provide hours of fun.

Be sure to read to the girls every day. Most kids are not read to enough. You could maybe incorporate a trip to the library once a week to pick up books for reading. If the 7 year old has reading to do every day from school, you could do that as well. There is no need for this not to be a fun time! Treat it like a special time rather than as a chore.

You could teach the girls how to make their own snacks in the kitchen -- cutting up fruit, making instant pudding, setting a table and having a nice "tea party" like atmosphere to after school snack. Alternately, you could take some snacks and make a picnic out of it, even if you just have juice and cookies out in the back yard. My babysitter did that with my kids, and they loved it.

You could do little art projects with them as well. There are many inexpensive things you could do -- play doh made from home made recipes that you could find on the net, colouring eggs for easter (get permission from the mom for this, of course), using whatever art supplies they have at home to paint pictures or draw.

I am babysitting a 5 year old. Any thing specific? She is a girl loves Spider Man. Last time I watched her we watched every Spider Man movie show. Any ideas? I already color Spider Man pictures with her.

September 20, 2015 Flag

I'm babysitting 6 kids 2, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. I have 3 girls and three boys and they all have different tastes except crafts. Anyone have any other activities I could do with them?

I was doing not only craft projects with my granddaughter, but also "experiments". We have had a lot of fun with this. Look up experiments and/or activities to do with kids and the age range. There are a lot of sites with some great things to do.

If your yard is fenced, get them outside playing games.

August 28, 2007 Flag

My mom and her friend Lisa are having a girls night out and I am watching Lisa's daughter. I am eleven years old and we live with my grandparents and they would be right downstairs along with my three other siblings. The little girl's name is Gabriella. I was wondering if you had any tips on what kind of games and activities I could do with her?

She is 7 years old and loves girly stuff, I thought maybe makeovers with my "BIG GIRL STUFF" as my little sisters and their friends call it. Lisa has known my mom from home school groups, so she knows me pretty well and obviously trusts me. I will be charging her $5.00 for the night since this is my first time. But I want Ella to go home wanting me to babysit her again. So please feel free to post your thoughts on this. Also, if you know any small things I can do to maybe earn me some tips!

Mackenzie from Millington, TN

When I baby sit I usually see what they like to do. Most all kids under eleven like to play with stuff an average person would. You can make puppets from paper bags. You could get on line and print coloring sheets. You could get some high heels and stuff and let them have a fashion show. You could let them dance to music. You could take them to a park if there is one nearby. Take them for a walk. Make up some creative things out of old materials. Trust me, I do this all the time. It actually works.

I am 15 and I babysit a 7 year old girl. She is very indecisive, and she also loves girly things. What I do, is I let her and I go up to my room and we do "beauty makeovers." She absolutely loves those. First, I do her, then she does my makeup. We also, play with dolls, do puzzles, charades, and one game my cousin made up for me when i was younger: Write on little pieces of paper of where to look to find another clue, and they have to figure out where that is, then when they find it, they have another clue. When they are done, give them a prize (candy, etc.)

Good luck!

Whenever I babysit for my 7 yr old "girly" neighbor, we always make bracelets and necklaces out of beads, she also loves to play dress up fashion show, and all kids love arts and crafts. Baking is always fun as well. if its a nice day, we go on a bike ride or a walk, or we can throw a frisbee outside.

Read More Answers...

November 24, 2014 Flag

I need help thinking of ideas for babysitting 5 younger kids.

By love s.

This time of year you could make home-made Christmas decorations such as cutting out snow flakes, making a paper chain, etc. I think as long as you're doing something with kids, they're happy. Help them write Christmas cards. Help them make an "I'm thankful for" jar with slips of paper writing things they're thankful for such as all my toys, my pretty bedroom, my warm winter coat, etc. etc. Google age appropriate ideas and I'm sure you can come up with plenty of things. Maybe think of things you yourself liked to do at their age.

Your local library has many books on activities for kids!

July 1, 2013 Flag

What fun stuff can you do with a 5 year old and a 7 year old?

By Ally

I spy, hunt the thimble (or small toy), hide and seek and then read them a story before bed to calm them down.

Marg from England.

I made a fun "campsite" in my living room one rainy day. We took a folding table & draped a quilt over that, my great grandson has a small tent which we put against the table end. They pretended that was their camper. We took a cooling rack with legs & that was their camp stove. I let them use my battery powered lantern inside. We gathered up stuff from the kitchen for cooking utensils & they had a really good time. I wanted to do it on the back deck but it rained. You could have a wading pool out there. The possibilities are endless!

You can play outside with a Frisbee, soccer ball, tennis rackets, go on the playground, etc. You can also play dress-up with dresses, makeup, jewelry, high heels, and hair clips. You could make a reading fort out of blankets and chairs and read together, you could have them help you cook to have a "picnic", you could play "the floor is lava", if they have pets, you could play with them. Whatever you do and it could be dangerous or messy, check with the parents first.

Read More Answers...

July 25, 2013 Flag

What are some things both a one year old and 3 year old would enjoy?

By Kaylyn K.

Of course there's always Cheerios, string them, put paste on a paper plate and let both kids make pictures (esp colored cereal). Cover a wall with butcher paper and let them draw on it with washable markers, or draw on the sidewalk with chalk. Just watch them play together and you'll get more ideas.

Match cards always work with young kiddos! Cut out the same size rectangles (from card stock or, if you want to be extra "green", try cereal or other boxes). Cover pairs of the rectangles with the same pictures (from magazines or, better yet, pics of family members!). Glue the pics onto the card stock, then cover with a coating of Mod Podge or cover them with clear Con Tac. To play, just flip the pictures onto the other side and have the kids turn over one and then another one, trying to make a match. This game also helps with memory, taking turns, etc. Have fun!

A package of plastic easter eggs that can be purchased from the dollar store can be used to play hide the egg. My grand daughter loves to do this. Eggs can be hidden in the house or outside whichever is best according to the weather. This is her favorite.

July 7, 2012 Flag

I'm babysitting a 5 year old girl from 10:00am to 8:00pm every single day. She has gotten bored with most things we do, so I need something creative and I prefer it to be inside, because it's way too hot.

By Dianeis R.

My daughters love to play with shaving cream, it's like $1 a can at walmart. Just let her smear it all over the table, it really is fun. Can be messy, but it won't stain. My girls also love to draw. Play doh is fun, and cheap too. Just be careful it doesn't get mashed into carpet. Practice writing her name with her, my 3 year old loves writing. Go to the library and borrow childrens books, most kids love books.

Have you checked out community things? Right now in my neighborhood, there are several vacation Bible schools going on, our library has programs for the kids, our swimming pool has lessons and special rate passes for the summer, and we have movies in the park.

Does she have a craft box? No need for anything special, just old magazines, scissors, glue, some construction paper, markers, crayons, colored pencils, and things like that. You can find most old school supplies at yard sales for pennies.

Homemade play dough with kitchen utensils, make clothes for a doll, empty food containers for a special "pretend" shopping trip, practice her printing for school, teach her the sounds of the letters or how to read if she's that advanced, how to tell time and count money, gardening - even if it's in a pot, make things with yarn, cooking/baking lessons, how to sort laundry and properly wash dishes by hand, how to follow directions (make pudding and jello if nothing else), and read, Read, read to her, exercise with her. Remember, you are helping to shape her life.

Try this recipe for sand dough: Sculpt a summer sandcastle, even f you don't live near the beach!

What you need (per person)

1 cup clean sand

1/2 cup cornstarch

3/4 cup water

Old pot (per batch)

1. Have an adult (you, if you're old enough) put all the ingredients into an old pot and cook over medium heat. Stir frequently until the mixture is very thick.

2. Allow the dough to cool until it can be handled easily.

3. Knead the dough until it feels like gritty playdough.

4. Create a fun sculpture - try a castle, a sea critter or even a friendly monster!

5. Place the shape in the sun to dry until it hardens.

You should also check out the Zoom website - www.pbskids.org/zoom for some great kids' activities. They even have printable activity books. Good luck!

Read More Answers...

January 7, 2015 Flag

I have babysat these kids before, they are 4 and 9. They want to play house, Barbies, etc. constantly. I mean all day long literally. I need something that they will like just as much and be time consuming so they can have a variety of things to do. Also whenever they don't get to play they always get really upset.
      P.S. In case I didn't make it clear I have to play "with" them.

By Nicole

You might make playdoh with them, and then they could play with that for some time. You can either put it in a plastic bag or tupperware container to use another time, or let the little creations dry out. They are many recipes online. Just goggle "playdoh". Some you have to cook, but many are quite satisfactory made with salt and flour and water. Another interesting thing to make is what I call magic mud (others call it something else-ooblek?). You mix some water with some cornstarch -- don't mix massive amounts -- about 2 tablespoons per person should do -- with water. Add the water a bit at a time until the mixture is sort of runny. Then you will notice that it becomes solid when you squeeze it and when you let go, it oozes back out through your fingers. It is just a fun thing to play with, but I have had grade 9 students make it in science class and they had a great time, so I am sure little kids will find it fascinating. You might also teach them some board games, like snakes and ladders -- easy games with counting -- not something complicated like Monopoly, as you have to interest the 4 year old as well as the 9 year old. If they don't own games like that, and you don't, you can likely get them for $1 or so at thrift shops or yard sales. You could also teach them some card games like War or Concentration. If you don't know how to play these games, google for information or find a book at the library with card games for children. And there is always reading to them. Next time you have to sit with them, come prepared with a pile of really interesting story books. Again, if you don't own any, pay a visit to your local library and pick some up. If these kids have a lot of books, they will appreciate new ones. If they have none at their house, you will be doing everyone a favor by introducing them to books. Get the librarian to help you if you are not sure what to get. I recommend books by Robert Munch. I have never met a child who didn't like those stories. You might get the kids interested in other crafts that lead into pretending activities, which they seem to like. I would suggest making popsicle stick puppets or paperbag puppets. You could make the puppets to go with one of the books you have read (even simple stories like Three LIttle Pigs), they could then play with them and act out the stories.

Load More
      Parenting Teen EmploymentJune 27, 2013
      babysitter with two kids
      Saving Money on Babysitting
      How To Recycle Paper
      Making Recycled Paper
      Child Playing at Summer Childcare Center
      Ideas for Summer Childcare
      Cardboard Christmas tree photo from an earlier Thriftyfun project.
      Making a Cardboard Christmas Tree
      © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 20, 2016 at 11:30:37 PM on 10.0.0.164 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.