Banana Cream Pie in a Jar
Banana cream pie is an American classic. These little jars make a super cute way of serving this delicious dessert.
- 3 cups milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 6 Tbsp cornstarch
- 6 Tbsp browned butter
- 4 bananas
- graham cracker crust or pie dough
- 1 can of whipped cream
- Mix together the sugar, eggs, egg yolks, and cornstarch until smooth.
- In a saucepan bring the milk and vanilla to a simmer on high. You have to watch it carefully or it will boil over.
- Then, slowly pour in half of the milk mixture into the bowl with the egg mixture, whisking constantly. Then pour the egg mixture into the sauce pan with the rest of the milk.
- Heat on Medium for about 5 minutes. Whisking constantly, dont let it boil.
- Stir in the browned butter and turn off the heat.
- Pour pudding into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Press the plastic wrap onto the surface of the pudding. This will stop a skin from forming. Let cool to room temperature.
- For this recipe I used pie dough as the crust. If I were to do it again I would do a simple graham cracker crust instead.
Here is a recipe for Graham Cracker Crust:
Spoon the cracker mixture into the jars about 1/4 full. Then press slightly. I wouldnt pack the graham cracker crust down too much, cause it might make it too hard to get out of the mason jar when enjoying this delicious pie.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Pre-bake graham cracker crust for about 15 minutes until browned. Set aside.
- If you decide you would rather use pie dough here is the recipe I used:
Roll out your dough and use the lid of the canning jar as a crust cutter. Carefully place this into the bottom of the mason jar. Then make some pie weights using parchment paper and dried beans or rice. Place parchment paper into the jars and pour the rice or beans into the parchment paper. This holds the crust down so wont puff up. Bake for about 10 minutes then remove the pie weights and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes until the crust is golden brown.
- Slice the bananas in 1/4 inch slices. Spoon a layer of pudding into the jars then lay down a layer of bananas, followed by another layer of pudding. Top with another layer of bananas.
- Cover the canning jars with plastic wrap or with the canning jar lids and place in the fridge to chill for at least an hour.
- Just before serving take the covering off the pies and top with whipped cream and a slice of banana.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
In This Guide