Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Bed Wetting Tips and Advice

Helping your child with a bed wetting issue can be very frustrating, but necessary. This is a guide about bed wetting tips and advice.

July 12, 2012 Flag

If you have a child who soaks the bed in the night, just put a rubber sheet on to protect the mattress. Then add another sheet and then another rubber sheet, and finally another sheet on top of that. That way if the child wets the bed, all you have to do is tear the top sheets off and clean it in the morning. You are not making the bed at 2:00 AM.

By coville123 from Brockville, Ontario

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 4, 2006 Flag

My son is now 7 and we are having a hard time with the bed wetting. I will take his drinks away at 6 PM and wake him up to let him go to the restroom but he still happens wets his bed. He has been prescribed medicine and it isn't working either. I am just tired of doing laundry every morning before I go to work, and it is bothering his mental well being as well. Please help!

shopping_addiction_woman from Nashville, IN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have four kids who wet the bed 3 boys ages 14, 12, 11 and a girl 9. all of them wear goodnites and plastic pants under their pajamas and it has helped alot I suggest it to all parents of bedwetters!

I'm for the Goodnights for over nights and hectic weeks when washing every night is out of the question. I have a 7yr old that wets as well. He has a plastic mattress cover on a mattress that was GIVEN to us....so cheap mattress is a good way to go. He wears protection occassionally and is definitely responsible for washing his bedding without humiliation or punishment. It's just a way of life for now and eventually he will grow out of it. Oh! .... and he's a big fan of fabreeze for that smell in the room if he lingers on Sat & Sun mornings without cleaning himself up.

He'll grow out of it when his body is ready. I've got a bedwetter, also, and have talked with MANY moms

who have grown kids who were bedwetters. It's just a physical development thing, very common and they will usually be done between the ages of 9-15! Hope that helps--we just use Goodnites and I rarely have to do laundry for wet sheets. No shame in that!

Hello! My heart goes out to you and your child. I understand the frustration you are going through, as i have a child who wet the bed nightly (often several times) until he was 8 years old. We solved his bed wetting by using an alarm. The bed wetting alarm took about 2 months of patient use but has given us years of dry nights.

The book that really helped me was, Seven Steps to Nighttime Dryness, by Renee Mercer. I urge all parents dealing with a child's bed wetting to read it. My child absolutely loved the children's book, Prince Bravery and Grace - Attack of the Wet Knights by Gail Ann Gross. It is the story of a young prince who struggles with "the Wet Knights" and eventually defeats them by using an alarm. It's funny yet empathetic and gave him the understanding and motivation to end the bedwetting. www.braveryandgrace.com has lots of positive information about solving bed wetting. Invest in the books-they make the process so much easier, then an alarm -its the best decision I ever made. Let me know if you have other questions. I wish you the best!

I am the mom of a bed wetting 14 year old daughter. She has weak bladder muscles due to the state of depression she was in 2 years ago after dad died from a heart attack. I use a thick cloth diaper and rubber pants on her a night. She broke out in rashes from disposables. The cloth diaper and rubber pants work well for her. She is a very girly girl and I sometimes put the diaper and rubber pants on her for special occasions. She wears them every Easter under her cute Easter dress.

My son was 6 years old and still wetting the bed at night. The laundry was killing me and I could see the wetting was starting to eat away at his self confidence. I took the kid to the doctor's office in hopes of getting a prescription that I had seen on a TV commercial. My doctor had a better solution, one that was free, easy, and no pills with possible side effects were required. It worked the first night and we never had another accident!

The doctor simply told my son to "practice" and train the muscle that would "hold it" while he was asleep at night. He asked my son to simply stop and start his flow of urine a few times a day when he was going potty. Start to pee, stop, start again, stop again, then finish. Doctor said that kids grow faster than every part of their bodies can keep up with.

This simple muscle training exercise literally worked the first time and we never had another problem. It was so easy to do, I thought the poor doctor had lost his mind and was sure it would never work. I figured we'd humor him and then be back in a few weeks for the prescription we came in for in the first place. Ha! I wish I had a way to shout this solution from the roof tops, as so many kids wake up each morning and, as soon as they realize their bed is wet, immediately feel bad about themselves and that they are somehow bad and need to feel ashamed and embarrassed. Forget all that. Just practice keeping that valve turned off so that your brain will know to keep it turned off while you sleep. Poof! Dry mornings!

February 5, 2006 Flag

My son is about to be 7 and has wet the bed on average of about 3 times a week all of his life. We have tried EVERYTHING. The only thing we haven't yet tried is prescription meds. That would be my last resort. I don't know anything about them and was wondering if any parents here have any experience with them?

Jo Smith from Jackson, TN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I know you won't believe this, but try a chiropractor! My son, now 17, wet the bed 3-5 times per night, every night, for years. His father & I were divorcing, he was 4-5, and I was ready to put him in counselling to help - I did not want him on medications! Our friend, a chiropractor, asked to see him when the topic came up over dinner one night.

My son was a forceps delivery - which may have pulled him out of alignment - anyway, I do not understand HOW, but after ONE ADJUSTMENT, my son went from 3-5 times soaking bed at night to 28 days without even one accident.

It's definitely worth a try before medicating the little darling!

Hi Jo,

I have a teenage daughter on some heavy medication for other ailments that make her incontinent at night. She takes Desmopressin (which is generic for DDAVP and don't ask me what that stands for!) It is a mild diuretic and works like a charm.

However, I would recommend trying a homeopathic doctor for this problem. My daughter has had terrible nausea, and the homeopathic doctor gave her little pellets of hellebore to take and it's completely cured her. I'm going to have him prescribe something for the incontinence, too, and see what he comes up with.

Good luck!

Nancy from Pennsylvania

You'll find that for almost every single kid who wets the bed it is NOT a medical problem, it is merely a sleep problem. Our son wet the bed for years, and we discovered that when he sleeps he falls into such a deep sleep that he cannot wake up enough to hear his body telling him that is is about to pee. We paid a fortune for a consultant and large pad that would sound when the pad got wet. He had to wake up and change his sheets etc. It was such a waste of money. A friend gave us an alarm that is attached by velcro onto the undies, so that the very first drop sets it off. The other end of the alarm is velcroed to his t-shirt, so it buzzes right into his ear!

We were watching a movie the first night it went on, and heard this yelp from his room ... HUH??? It was hilarious. He was in a daze, so I told him he needed to pee. It only went off once more after that, and the alarm taught him to wake up as soon as the pee muscle was about to go into action.

Don't bother restricting fluids, don't bother with pills, don't bother with counseling, just get el cheapo alarm and watch the magic happen.

Michael Landen used to wet his bed. His mean mother would hang his sheets out the window for all to see thinking that would stop him. He used to run home every day to get them in before the other kids could see. Later he ran in the Olympics! I had two kids who did it every night. Changed their sheets every day for years I thought of him every day. My ex-husband did it until he was 13. I just figured they inherited it from him. Seems like the timer would work I wish I knew about it when my kids were little. I don't think I would take him to the dr. I would call the dr. if they want to see him I would take him. But taking him might upset him.

One of my sons had a wetting problem also. We went to a urologist. He asked if my son drank tea. He did. The doctor said he could have all the tea he wanted, before noon. He explained that for ever cup of tea you drank, you pee a cup and a half.

it could be possible that your child is a type#1 diabetic! it 's a simple blood test ! please have him tested. i have a friend whose daughter started wetting the bed for no good reason & after testing they found out she had diabetes. i hope not but you need to have him tested!

September 4, 2006 Flag

My 10 year old daughter has wet the bed for years. Nothing is medically wrong. I have found this is common, so she wears Goodnights to bed, but in the AM she'll lay in bed, wide awake and wet her pull-up until it runs out onto the bed. I ask her "why", she says she doesn't know why. I have, in the past, been very patient and understanding, but today I lost it. I made her wear the nasty wet pull-up around the house for punishment. What is up with this? Is it a fetish? Is she mentally ill? I have lost my mind. I told her if she does it again she will have to wear it to school and I will tell all her friends. The parent in me knows this is not the right approach, but I am at the end of the road here. What else is there to try?

Nina from Las Vegas

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I wet the bed until I was twelve, and my older sister until she was almost sixteen. My three younger sisters wet the bed up until around age ten; my brother until about age six. Both of our parents were late bedwetters as well.

All of us were healthy, and the cause for the bedwetting was never determined. My mother did not shame us, though sometimes we could see and feel her frustration and despair (it was a LOT of bedwetters wetting at the same time--for years!)

How is your daughter doing now? It is five years since you have posted about her problem. I hope you made amends with her. Mothers can do so much permanent damage to their children and to their relationship with them if they don't have the important things in mature perceptive.

My 9 year old has been wetting the bed the last couple years off and on. He is healthy and happy and there's no rhyme or reason to it. I never shame him, he feels bad enough about it himself! I put an old shower curtain under his bedding to protect his mattress and do a lot of laundry. Just part and parcel of being a mom!

Best wishes to you and know you are not alone and she will outgrow it eventually.

February 23, 2005 Flag

I have a son who just turned 5 year old who still wets the bed almost every night. We currently put him in Pull-ups, but he often makes so much pee that it even leaks out of the diaper onto his clothes, sheets, blanket, etc.

Does anyone have suggestions or advice on how to handle this? Do we just wait for him to hopefully grow out of it? We've been careful to give him lots of fluids during the day but not allowing him to drink anything for the last 2 hours before bedtime. He always goes to pee just before he hops into bed for the night. When we wake him up to use the toilet about 3 hours after bedtime, he's often already wet his diaper. I'm getting really tired of having to change his bedding every other night, those Pull-ups are expensive (even the generic brands), and our water bills are way high from all the laundry that results. Lynne

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It requires a trip to the doctor. It sounds like the sphincter to the urethra is not fully devolved.

Make sure there is no physical issues via a trip to the doctor. Children wet the bed after emotional trauma. Make sure nothing happened to your child.

April 1, 2011 Flag

Nina from Las Vegas

Answers:

10 Year Old Wets the Bed

You need to speak with her doctor right away! Sometimes it can be hard to get out of bed when you first wake up, and it may be that she doesn't "feel" it until it is too late. In any case, you should both get professional guidance from the pediatrician, who can refer you to a specialist to deal with this. And Mom, please refrain from ridicule, as this can make the problem much worse (hiding it, or she may rebel against you.) Do something before your relationship is damaged! If it doesn't feel right to treat her that way, then don't! (09/04/2006)

By camo_angels

10 Year Old Wets the Bed

First, let me say, I agree with everything that Camo Angels said. However, I would suggest it's time for your 10 year old to learn to strip her bed and change the sheets herself. If it's just a bit of laziness or rebellion that keeps her in the bed instead of getting up to go to the bathroom after she's awake, then this may keep her from doing that. If it's not, then it's still a good thing for her to learn to change her own bed. I had 2 bedwetters and I found that hypnosis helped my son to quit at age 12. He slept so soundly that he just didn't wake up, even after wetting the bed. I agree, don't punish or humiliate. No one puts themselves through this on purpose. (09/05/2006)

By Luvyabye

10 Year Old Wets the Bed

Has she seen a chiropractor? This helped our son tremendously. Also, is she simply afraid to get out of bed? There may be more going on in her life than what she is telling you. I was afraid to get out of bed until I was about 7 or 8 unless I could hear someone else moving around. (09/05/2006)

By Guest

10 Year Old Wets the Bed

My son was about 10 when he finally quit wetting the bed. I finally found a pediatrician to help. He had what is called a "potty pager". It hooked to his underwear and as soon as it got just a little wet it would sound off. It was very loud! He immediately got up and went to the bathroom. After less than a week he was going on his own. I would hear it, but I let him do it all. Then after about 2 weeks he didn't need it anymore because his brain was programed to get up and go to the bathroom. He too was sleeping through when he had to go. If your daughter is just lazy then this will get her going. Good luck! (09/07/2006)

By peachynptc

10 Year Old Wets the Bed

You must be going through a lot right now. It's normal to be so frustrated about something like this. I'm sorry to hear that you "lost it" with her today, but I completely understand since I'm a mom too. Please don't give up. There is a solution out there somewhere.

Around the age of 8 I started having problems with "leaking" and not being able to control it. My parents took me to doctor after doctor for a couple of years who told them that it was all mental and that there was nothing physically wrong with me. I suffered humiliation at the hands of both my parents who believed the doctors and my siblings, who teased me about it.

I believed what they said too and it caused me years of pain and did significant damage to my self-image. As an adult, I finally got the courage to mention this problem to my gynecologist who ran some tests and found that my bladder was severely prolapsed. One quick surgery later and I no longer have the problem.

Please continue to seek solutions, both medically and psychologically for your daughter. (I like the ideas posted about the alarm and her having to change her own sheets.) I'm sure she wouldn't be doing this if there weren't a reason and you can help her to figure it out. Best wishes to you and your daughter. (09/07/2006)

By mommygett

10 Year Old Wets the Bed

I also deal with a daughter who wets. Luckily hers is stress induced so we watch that closly. Anyway one suggestion that hasn't been mentioned is has she been tested for ADHD? I know that wetting is one symptom that ADHD kids deal with. A friend's daughter wet not just the bed, but during school, etc. because she was too distracted by other things to get up and use the bathroom. Maybe this is a possibility, my friend said w/meds this stopped immediately, but returns if the meds need adjusted. She also didn't care and wore wet clothes. Yuck! (09/07/2006)

By Mary

10 Year Old Wets the Bed

Shaming her is not the answer. If she has been checked out by the doctor, use a behavioral program. Tell her she is responsible for her own situation. She will need to strip the bed, wash everything and re-make the bed if she wets. Set an alarm clock for her wake-up and insist that she go to the bathroom as soon as it rings, no lingering in bed. That is a privilege she will have to earn. Try not to get emotional when she wets, just re-state that she needs to clean up the mess, etc.

Try offering a reward for a set number of dry nites in a row, maybe using a sticker chart or calendar. Make the reward something she really wants, but doesn't break the bank, like a DVD rental, trip for ice cream, extra one on one time with mom or dad, etc. If she wets the bed, a mild consequence, stated in advance could be a slightly earlier bedtime that night since, "she seems to be too tired to get up to go to the bathroom", she obviously needs more rest. Make the punishment fit the misdeed, logical consequences. But I think giving her this responsibility for changing the bedding, washing the sheets, etc. may make the difference, especially if she gets little attention for it from you. Just restate her responsibility to deal with it from now on. (09/07/2006)

By Linda

10 Year Old Wets the Bed

An extreme, I use that word explicitly, an extreme reason for a child to wet the bed at a late age, is sexual abuse. This most likely is not the case, but it does happen. (09/07/2006)

By memere

10 Year Old Wets the Bed

Unless you have taken her to an urologist for a urethral dilatation exam in a hospital under anesthesia, (if surgery is required, it is done at that time, you cannot be certain that she doesn't have what I had at age 14, causing me to wet without fail. I had a non-malignant urethral tumor that had to be removed surgically.) Until discovered, my mom was as frantic and frustrated as you, but not nearly as terrified as I was of the spankings, false reasoning, yelling, loss of sleep, threats, and thoughts of the loss of my mother's love, blaming me for the whole thing.

She took me to many doctors and finally learned about it, but was given the choice of having the surgery in the office or hospital. Knowing it would be most painful, but she was so anxious to get it over with, she chose the office without anesthesia and worse yet, never apologizing for all she had put me through all those years.

It took me 49 years to truly forgive her, and it ruined my trust in humans, doctors (he should have insisted on my being admitted into the hospital for pain relief), and later on I still suffered post traumatic syndrome all through my life/marriage, and under certain conditions, to this day, crying at the most inappropriate times. It took counseling to finally help me to discover why/what/when/where/who, etc.

I urge you to please reconsider and make certain of the medical implications. Each of the "reasons" and "guesses" given in this blog was made about my situation. Also, if after this exam, you do "not" find a tumor (which held my ureter open abnormally causing the bladder to empty when I tried to sleep), please consider that there may still be a real medical explanation that has not yet been discovered or diagnosed by anyone other than a very good doctor.

How would you feel if it were you? No one has the slightest clue of how horrible it is to suffer in this way. Give your daughter more of the benefit of the doubt until you have truly exhausted all the possibilities. Then, if you were wrong, hug her in private and tell her simply how sorry you are for not knowing. God bless you both.
(09/07/2006)

By lyndagayle62

10 Year Old Wets the Bed

Another reason for bed-wetting that no one has mentioned is allergies. Relief can be as simple as avoiding something such as a certain food. Have you considered talking to a good allergist? It may solve your problem. (09/08/2006)

By susanmajp

10 Year Old Wets the Bed

I have 2 bedwetters a girl age 11 and a boy age 9. They wear Mother of Eden bedwetter pants. They fit well and keep the bed dry. I wet the bed until 14 and the products they have today are much better then the diapers and rubber pants I wore. (10/05/2006)

By Trish

10 Year Old Wets the Bed

I want everyone reading my comments to understand that these are just my thoughts
and observations and are not intended as criticisms directed at anyone.
If I were the young person wetting the bed I know my own personal pain and embarrassment would exceed any embarrassment or frustration or aggravation my mother would be feeling. I might try to hide that fact from her, but inwardly I believe I would be dying a little every day.

Can those of you who are dealing with this put it in perspective? You could be dealing with something so much worse. My next door neighbor has a beautiful 18 year old daughter. She was born with cerebral palsy, she functions as an 18 month old and requires constant care, which they lovingly provide. Another acquaintance has a child with cancer and her future looks grim.

I truly don't understand the constant fights over wet sheets and bedding. It is a fact, not a surprise, that you have a bedwetter. It is also a fact that dishes get dirty and have to be washed. It's also a fact that everyone needs clean clothes so the laundry must be done.

It seems obvious to me to just routinely provide the appropriate pants, whether disposable or washable, depending on finances and an appropriate waterproof pad and get on with life. There has to be a way that you don't have to daily strip the bed and wash everything. Stop the shaming and shouting and anger. The "special" sleep underwear is as necessary a part of the family expenditures as is the case of soft drinks, or beer, or carton of cigarettes, or gallons of milk. Provide these kids with the necessary clothing and stop the commentary. Allow them to reclaim their dignity. Provide the things they need and just wait it out, quietly! It will end when it ends, not when you demand it or when you've "had enough". Trust me, there are much more difficult things in life that many people deal with. This too shall pass. Don't handle it in a way that will cause you shame and regret in later years. (10/06/2006)

By Grandma Margie

10 Year Old Wets the Bed

Try having them go to the bathroom two times right before bed. Have them stop drinking liquids 2 hours before they go to bed. It works! You also might want to try using pull-ups Goodnights for older children. (12/08/2006)

By Lola

10 Year Old Wets the Bed

One trick that may help is that if you wake during the night to go to the bathroom (I know I still do at age 43) get her out of bed and make her go to the toilet. (02/14/2007)

By Linda

10 Year Old Wets the Bed

How distressing for you and your child. I have heard an old remedy is to give a teaspoon of honey to the child before bed, try it for a few weeks and see if it helps. I hope it helps and it won't hurt either way. Good luck. (03/14/2009)

By Sunbaby

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 2, 2011 Flag

I have a son who just turned 5 year old who still wets the bed almost every night.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Parenting Grade Schooler AdviceMay 27, 2016
Bedspring Santa
Making a Bed Spring Santa
A garden bed made from an old blue bed.
Make a Garden "Bed" Out of an Old Bed Frame
A Chihuahua laying in its bed.
Dog Peeing in Its Own Bed
package with a featherbed topper
Using A Featherbed Topper
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 17, 2017 at 2:45:58 PM on 10.0.0.246 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.