Blanching Vegetables

Category Vegetables
Cut and blanched Brussel sprouts on a white plate.
Certain vegetables benefit from blanching prior to freezing. Blanching can help preserve the flavor, texture, color, and nutrient content of vegetables. It can be confusing trying to determine which ones need to be blanched and for how long. This is a guide about blanching vegetables.

There have been a lot of requests for blanching veggies as of late so here's an easy timetable to follow. Be sure to check tenderness part way into the blanching guide times because freshness and size of vegetables vary and can affect how long they truly need to blanch.

Be sure to give the veggies an immediate ice water bath after the blanching to stop the cooking process. Pat veggies dry if you are going to be freezing them and remove as much air from the freezer bag as possible because both help to reduce freezer burn.

Source: Collected over the years and finally decided to get them all organized ;-)

By Deeli from Richland, WA

The Purpose Behind Blanching

All vegetables contain naturally occurring enzymes. In some vegetables, unless these enzymes are deactivated with heat before the vegetable is frozen, the enzymes will continue to break down and age them even at freezing temperatures. Blanching destroys these enzymes and helps preserve the vegetables flavor, color and texture during storage, as well as slowing down nutrient loss. If frozen without being blanched, some vegetables tend to soften and lose their flavor after a period of storage.

Blanching also diminishes the number of microorganisms that may be present on foods and brings out the color in green vegetables.

Water Blanching:

Use a blanching pot or large kettle full of water that has a tight fitting lid. The pot should be big enough to have a basket or strainer placed inside of it for lifting vegetables in and out of it. It the pot doesn't come with its own basket, you can use any colander or wire mesh strainer big enough to hold approximately 1 pound of vegetables. Immerse 1 pint/pound of vegetables in a gallon of hard boiling water, cover, and leave boiling for recommended amount of time. Make sure vegetables are fully submerged in water. When time is up, remove vegetables and plunge them into a sink full of icy water or run them under very cold water until completely cooled. Drain and dry on paper towel or cloth to prevent ice crystals from forming while freezing.

Steam Blanching:

Use a large pot with a tight-fitting lid. Fill bottom with 2-3 inches of water and place a steaming rack in the bottom of the pot so that water does not touch the bottom of the rack. Boil water and place vegetables on the rack in a single layer no more than 2 inches deep. Cover pot. Steam for recommended amount of time (see individual vegetables). Remove cool, drain and pat dry vegetables for freezing as in water-blanching method.

Microwave Blanching:

In a single layer, place 1 pound of vegetables into a shallow, microwave container filled 1/2 cup water and cover. Microwave for recommended time (see individual vegetables). Remove, cool and pat dry the same as water blanching. Although this method is convenient, results can vary. Variations in microwaves, containers used, how vegetables are layered and when and if they are stirred during the process can all effect results.

Boilable Bags:

This method saves a lot of time by blanching and cooling meal-sized vegetables that you have pre-sealed in boilable bags. Fill boilable bags up with a meal-sized portion of vegetables so that the bags are no more than 1 inch thick (add butter or seasoning if desired). Expel air and seal bags with an automatic bag-sealer or by placing the end of the bag under a thick towel or moist cloth and sealing it with an iron. Drop sealed bags in pot of boiling water and cover pot. Remove after boiling for recommended time (see individual vegetables) and plunge bag in ice water until completely cooled. Pat bags dry with a towel before freezing.

Tips on Water:

When using water for blanching, generally figure 1 gallon of water per pound/pint of vegetables. Distilled or filtered water will give foods the best taste. Avoid hard water.

Blanching Times:

The amount of time required for blanching will vary from vegetable to vegetable (see individual vegetables for times), but should be timed as carefully as possible. Under blanching will destroy soft tissues without destroying all the enzymes. Over blanching will discolor vegetables, change their texture and leach out valuable nutrients. Properly blanched vegetables will be heated through to the center, but still have a firm texture. The time needed to cool vegetables in ice water is approximately the same as it takes to blanch them.

When water blanching, start counting time as soon as the water returns to a boil after placing vegetables in the water. If the water takes longer than 1-2 minutes to return to a boil, consider blanching smaller batches of vegetables at a time. Blanching times for boiling bags is approximately double that of water blanching.

Cooling:

Vegetables need to be cooled quickly and thoroughly after blanching to stop the cooking process. To cool them, plunge baskets of vegetables quickly into a large kettle or sink filled with cold water, (at least 60°F or below). Keep water cool by adding ice frequently (approximately one pound of ice for each pound of vegetables). Vegetables should be cooled for approximately the same amount of time as you blanched them.

Drain extra moisture after cooling to avoid a loss of quality during freezing.

Recently while trying to blanch/freeze 12 lbs. of green beans, I ran out of ice to cool the blanched beans. Instead I used some drink boxes, that I always keep in the freezer to use in lunchboxes to keep food cold until lunch time. I fit them around my metal bowl of veggies and water. They worked great, cooling them off and not melting too quickly!

By AHA! from NE PA

I use a plastic mesh lemon bag to blanche my veggies in boiling water before freezing. I bag them in quantities ready for recipes so they are ready to pull from the freezer any time I need them. By K. Cooper

Why is it necessary to blanch vegetables prior to freezing? Why can't I just wash, drain, cut, and freeze the raw green beans?

By Jackie

I think you can but the blanching, if I remember correctly helps to keep frost from forming on them. The proper procedure is to blanch them for one minute, plunge them in ice water for a minute then lay them on a towel to dry. It is worth it if you have a better product in the end.

Anonymous

It's to preserve the color, keep crisp yet tender and halts the enzymes that deteriorates the nutritional value of the food during storage. Also, assorted veggies need different amounts of blanching time. For instance, beans should be blanched for 3 minutes, corn on the cob for 4 minutes and beets anywhere from 25 to 50 minutes depending on their size. All varieties of onions and peppers do not need to be blanched.

Blanching vegetables and sometimes fruits is necessary before freezing to destroy enzymes and bacteria that could cause spoilage. It also helps to preserve a vibrant color on the frozen product. Plunging the vegetables in ice water stops the cooking process.

Jackie, I do blanch somestuff like any beans,if you don't they will freezer burn and have a freezer taste. I do know I put corn up this year and I didn't blanch it and eat taste good. And I don't blanch greens either,but you must get all the air out of it. But on all beans and peas I wouldn't blanch. Happy Day.

How do I blanch vegetables, such as corn?

By Karen

Wiser ones might correct or add to my answer, but blanching as I understand such is merely placing the food (usually fresh vegetables or fruits) into a pot of boiling water for 1-2 minutes and then immediately submerging them into ice water to stop the cooking process. I use the process when preparing fresh vegetables (such as corn on the cob) for freezing. It also works well when preparing a batch of fresh tomatoes for processing as after you remove the tomatoes from the ice water, you can literally slide off the skins with your hands. Good Luck!

If I remember right there are different directions for different types of food. As far as freezing tomatoes goes, all most of the people that I know, do is wash them, remove the stems and toss them in a plastic bag and then into the freezer. Then when they get a few more tomatoes they do the same thing, adding them to the previous bag.

KansasCindy's response gives the correct definition of blanching. However, the blanching time varies depending on the vegetable. Some require no more than 1-2 minutes; others may require 3 minutes or more. Thriftyfun has a guide to blanching on the website. You could also consult the Ball Book of Canning and Perserving for information.

Why do we blanch veggies before freezing?

By Guy T.

To stop the enzymes in the foods. Otherwise the food will continue to ripen and become mush.

I think the blanching breaks down the plant cells. Then the moisture in them does not freeze and burst, that changes the texture of the food.

Blanching slows or stops the action of enzymes which cause loss of flavor, color and texture. Blanching also cleanses the surface of dirt and organisms, brightens the color and helps retard loss of vitamins. Blanching also wilts or softens vegetables and makes them easier to pack.

Is blanching required for freezing yellow squash, cabbage, corn, and broccoli?

By Jackie from Sweetwater, TN

Blanching stops the enzyme action and give far superior frozen veggies, that's why it is suggested that you do it. You'll live if you eat the veggies without blanching them, especially if they are frozen for only a short time.

But after putting so much work into growing them, don't you want your veggies to actually taste good and be in prime condition when you finally choose to eat them, and more so if you spend your hard-earned dollars on them? It's best not to take any short-cuts when putting food up.

I looking for information about blanching squash.

Linda from Roanoke, VA

Here's some info I had; hope it helps.

Copy printable Format: http://extensio  odnut/gh1503.htm

Squash: summer (Cocozelle, Crookneck, Straightneck, White scallop, Zucchini)

Choose young squash with tender skin. Wash and cut in 1/2-inch slices. Water blanch 3 minutes. Cool promptly, drain, package, seal and freeze.

oGrated zucchini (for baking)

Choose young tender zucchini. Wash and grate without peeling. Steam blanch in small quantities for 1 to 2 minutes until translucent. Drain well and pack in containers in amounts needed for recipes. Cool by placing the containers in cold water. Seal and freeze. If watery when thawed, drain the liquid before using the zucchini.

Squash: winter (Acorn, Banana, Buttercup, Butternut, Golden Delicious, Hubbard)

Select firm, mature squash with a hard rind.

Prepare same as for pumpkin.

===

Pumpkin

Select full-colored mature pumpkins with fine texture. Wash, cut into cooking-size sections and remove seeds. Cook until soft in boiling water, in steam, in a pressure cooker, in an oven or microwave oven. To cool, place pan containing pumpkin in cold water and stir occasionally. Remove pulp from rind and mash. Package, seal and freeze.

Note:

Small pumpkins can be pierced and baked whole on a tray in an oven or microwave oven until soft. After cooling, peel, remove strings and seeds and mash. Package, seal and freeze.

It is mid October here in Wisconsin. Is it too late for me to blanch my celery plants? They are pretty bitter. If it is too late, how can I reduce the bitterness?

By Sandra from Altoona, WI