ElectricalHome

Breaker Keeps Tripping

Category Electrical

I have a 1927 2 1/2 story home. The electric was updated in 2005. There is a breaker that supplies the upstairs hallway light and outlet, a light and one outlet in bedroom #1, a light and one outlet in bedroom #2, a light and one outlet in a 3rd bedroom, a outlet in the downstairs living room, and the front porch light (which is a covered porch). I wake up most mornings and that circuit is tripped. I reset it and most times it is fine for three days then it just trips. Then there are times I'll reset it and it won't trip for a week or two. I've shut off every breaker and just left that breaker on by itself and determined everything it operates. I've gone to every outlet it operates and unplugged all items and it still trips the breaker from time to time. Stumped in Ohio!

By Mike D.

Too much load? Wire loose? Call an electrician or two and get an estimate for diagnosis. Could be faulty breaker (simple to fix, or inadequate breaker, don't know difficulty). Because of fire hazard implication, get it checked. Some things have too high a 'price tag' not to pay the cost.

Hi Mike,

Sounds like we had just about the same problem. We had found that our lights would flicker for a few seconds and the breaker would trip. So we found that nothing that was plugged in was shorting it out. So we just replaced the breaker and found that it had started to ark on its self which would case a trip. It was $25.00 and Home Depot. Just take a look at the numbers on the switch should tell you what you need 20, 40, 60.

Best of luck to you. Remember to turn the power off before you start taking it out.