Breaker for Water Heater Not Working

I turned the breaker to my water heater off and when I turned it back on my water heater wasn't working. As it is a very old water heater I thought it had gone out, so I replaced it with a new one. It is still not working. The plumber installed it correctly, we filled it, and turned the breaker on, nothing.

The plumber checked the plug going into the hot water heater and it reads 110 on each side because it's a 220 plug. The last water heater we had was 220v 3800w 150 PSI, 30 gallon. This water heater is 240v 4200w. I have two questions. Would the wire test 110 on each side at the water heater if the breaker was messed up? Does the voltage make a huge difference being the old one was 220 and this one is 240?

If the plumber installed the breaker switch correct this isnt an issue. It is normal to have a 240v 4200w breaker. The reading on this switch is correct 110v on each side. Your problem could be with your thermostat or heating element.

I'm surprised the plumber didn't test this out before he left. I would call him back.

I would suggest you contact your plumber and explain the problem as he should be able to help you with your question. Was there a reason your plumber did not verify your water heater was working properly before he left? He should know (for sure) if the difference in voltage between the old and new heaters will make a difference. Often times some things will work when it is not safe to do so and no one should take a chance with a malfunction in an electrical circuit.

If there is a problem and you cannot get help from the plumber then maybe you should call the store where purchased and ask them the same questions. Your plumber is not an electrician and may not be able to answer your question but he should be able to find out for you as his plumbing work is not really complete until it is working. BUT - he should know about the correct voltage question.

If no help there then try calling Sears Service Center (they are very familiar with this type of problem) and ask your questions. They should be able to tell you if the problem is with the new water heater (it does not matter if it was or was not purchased from them).