Building Your Vocabulary

Dictionary and Notebook
Finding good resources and learning a new word everyday can be fun. This guide is about building your vocabulary.

In newsletter I just read, a reader told about her word of the day project for her kids. It is an excellent idea, wish I had done it. But, why stop with the kids, I have for several years gotten newsletters from two sites that provide a word-of-the-day, with pronunciation, definition and example of its use.

These sites are Dictionary.com and Merriam-Webster.com

A few words I know, most I don't. I may never use them in conversation, but it is still good to know about them. Interesting or odd ones I pass on to family and friends. Some shorter ones I write down for possible use in scrabble type games. Adults can learn new words too, and it is fun. They are the first things I look for in my emails each day.

Source: Just looking up words and found the newsletter sign up area.

By Knitter926 from Bloomington, IL

Here is a fun site that is educational AND donates money to the United Nations World Food Program. It runs you through words and definitions. For each word you define correctly, 10 grains of rice are donated. The words get harder until it finds your vocabulary level. Good for anyone that would like to improve your language skills and WAY more fun than reading the dictionary.

Jess in Oregon

Link: http://www.freerice.com/