Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Calico Breed Information and Photos

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Calico Cat

Calico refers to the coloration of these sweet, loving, and loyal cats rather than defining an actual breed. Calico cats are generally accepted into many breeds except, for example, pointed breeds, ie. Siamese. This is a guide about Calico breed information and photos.

Here are questions related to Calico Breed Information and Photos.

Question: Blue and Light Tan Colored Calico Cat

We have a young calico colored cat. It has very light tan markings plus blue colored markings and no other color on it. I have never seen a blue and light tan colored cat before. Does anyone know anything about this color of cat?

By Lynda from Grinnell, IA

Most Recent Answer

By gbell11/17/2011

Tortoiseshell is probably the name you are looking for.

Solutions: Calico Breed Information and Photos

Do you have knowledge about this guide topic? Feel free to share a solution!

Photos

Below are photos related to this guide.

Pepper (Calico Cat)

Pepper is a calico cat and lives in the barn. We adopted her when we moved here. We noticed lately that she loves to climb trees and shrubs. She had been eyeballing the bird feeder for a few days; watching from the ground.

What a surprise we had on Christmas morning to find Pepper in the bird-feeder. She had moved in and was ready to ambush. :)

By Sheila

Pepper (Calico Cat)

Callie (Calico Cat)

Callie is a 4 1/2 years old calico cat. We got Callie from a friend, when she was a tiny kitten. She was the runt of the litter.

Callie loves to play outside and chase the butterflies. She had a litter of kittens about 2 years ago, and we kept two of the kittens. They are both bigger than she is.

By Dorothy

Cheebus (Cat)

Cheebus is 9 years old. Cheebus is very special to me because my best friend gave her to me right before she passed away from a sudden severe stroke at the age of 29. I wasn't looking to have another cat, but she told me I'd make a good mother. Close up of Cheebus, a calico cat.

Oh, has this cat ever brought so much joy into my life. The best thing about her is I think of my late girlfriend -every- time I look at Cheebus. What a beautiful gift. Cheebus knows my schedule very well. She will sit inside the bathroom sink minutes before she knows I'm going to brush my teeth and put on my makeup. She likes to sleep next to me the way a human sleeps in bed. When I wake up in the morning, she is laying parallel to me with her head on the pillow and her body tucked under the blanket, body straight. Cracks me up every time! She is truly something special. Cat in sink.

By attosa from Los Angeles, CA

Tilly and Sophie (Calico Cats)

Tilly and Sophie are 3 months old and Calicos. My daughter's friend found the kittens abandoned in her garage. They were only about 3 weeks old.

They love to chase each other around the house. And they snuggle together when they sleep. They really love each other!

By Beth from Menomonee Falls, WI

Gizmo (Calico Cat)

How often do we feel just like this while waiting for that important fax? This is Gizzy, our 2 year old (one of 5 furbabies). My husband named her Gizmo after she had laid her ears flat out once as a kitten while watching a bird. He commented on how she looked like the Gizmo the Gremlin. Her name was suddenly changed.

By Marti S.

Cat Laying on Fax Machine

Pip (Calico Cat)

Pip is an 8 year old calico cat. I found her as a tiny kitten one very hot day while taking a walk. She was huddled on the sidewalk in the corner of a downtown building. I picked her up in a hankie, a chipmunk-sized kitten hissing at me, and took her home.

After a while, I realized she was not weaned, since she hadn't touched food or water. So I quickly went to the store. I got some cat milk, and she sucked it up from an eyedropper! We became good friends after that, though I never intended to keep her. Pip found a place in my heart, and 8 years later we are still hanging in there!

Pip really likes wire for some reason. I get a thin piece about 10 inches long and throw it for her to retrieve. Most of the time Pip brings it back to me. She also likes to catch mice. We live in a rural area, and there are more than enough. Pip is only about half as big as a regular house cat, maybe because of her rough start.

By Jennifer from Gilbertsville, NY

Sleeping calico cat on cushion

Kelly (Long Haired Calico)

Kelly is a 6 year old long haired, calico cat. We got Kelly from a friend who is moving from Washington to Michigan. She has been living with us for three months now. Kelly is very loving, playful, and flirty cat. She always want her long hair to be combed, and she loves to be cuddled, too. She is about 20 pounds.

By Nelly from Estacada, OR

Long haired calico cat portrait Long haired calico cat stretched out on carpet Long haired calico cat sleeping on carpet

Long haired calico cat portrait

Callie (Calico)

Callie is 5 years old and a calico. We got Callie as a kitten several years ago. She is the mother of 4 beautiful kitties. We kept 2 and gave 2 to other family members. We had her fixed so she won't have any more kittens.

Callie loves the outdoors. She loves to climb on things and she won't stay off the railing on our deck. It used to make me nervous about her falling, but now I realize she has great balance. She is so much fun to watch!

By Dorothy from New Creek, WV

Callie, a calico cat on a deck railing

Callie (Calico Cat)

Since I got this fish aquarium, it is Callie's favorite place to sit. She loves watching the fish swim and bats at the outside glass. Bet she would love to really get at my fish!

Cat sitting next to aquarium.

Molly (Calico)

This is Molly. She is a healthy 7 year old, and was about 2 weeks in this photo. She's a medium-long haired calico. Molly was found by my neighbor when she was 2 days old. Her eyes didn't open for a week. We fed her with a bottle which you see, she took to easily. I fell in love at first sight and she is still my sweetheart.

She likes to chase a whirligig or a toy on a stick. We fed her 'on demand' and kept her warm. My neighbor has other cats and they groomed Molly and taught her to groom herself. I visited every day and she came home with me at about 2 months, after my other cat died naturally. Nimmie was dying when Molly came, and we didn't want to stress him by bringing her in.

By Jeneene from Cincinnati, OH

Molly (Calico)

Tater (Calico)

Tater (Tat) is less than a year old. She's a "Heinz57" (mixed breed, unknown, Mutt). When I first moved here my neighbor brought her to me. She likes to catch mice and bring them to me! Tater likes to nap with me. She likes to suck my thumb and sometimes chew to wake me up.

She loves ice cream in the evening and raw fresh farm eggs for breakfast. She likes to watch the Sci-Fi channel and likes the computer. She especially likes to help me type! We like sharing a bag of chips or crackers. She loves being outside.

By melody_yesterday from Otterville, MO

Tater (Calico)

Lucy (Calico)

Lucy is a 10 year old Calico cat. I got Lucy 9 years ago when a friend had a baby and got rid of Lucy. I would rather have Lucy then a baby any day. She likes to pose for photos, play with toy mice, bully the other cats, and snack. Here is Lucy after a wild Mardi Gras celebration.

By Ellen from Ware, MA

In Memory of Cali

Cali doing her splat cat impression.

Your Pet's Age
12

How and when did you get your pet?
Cali was our daughter's cat. She got her from the Humane Society on Ohau. She came to stay with us for awhile and was the acting mommy cat to our little tabby Pekoe.

What does your pet like to do for fun?
Cali loved to play with her toys and snuggle. She was very tiny as a kitten and spent a lot of time riding around in our daughter's overalls. She was the sweetest thing and gave long armed hugs with her front paws around your neck. This photo shows her in her splat cat mode. She loved to lay this way. It always made us smile.

Do you have anything else to share about your pet?
Cali passed a couple of years ago after a short bout with cancer. She is greatly missed by her people.

By

Powderpuff (Calico)

Powderpuff on the bed.

Your Pet's Age
22yrs old

Your Pet's Breed
Calico

How and when did you get your pet?
20 yrs ago my husband found her in our backyard hiding up the tree, scared to death of the other cats, with a pick bow around her neck. He finally got her down, she was white and gray, mostly white and fluffy as she still is. She is old now and set in her ways, a queen, and stays in the bedroom. She hardly never gets out of there.

What does your pet like to do for fun?
She used to play with toys, sniff her cat nip, and look outside, that's about all she likes to do, just sit and look.

She doesn't like to be social with other cats, she hisses at them, turns her nose up, and walks away .

By

Cassie (Calico)

Cassie is a 4 year old Calico. We got Cassie from PetSmart when she was 1. She was such a sweet cat who obviously loved people. Cassie loves to sit in the windowsill when we have the windows open. She loves to be in the sunroom and watch the birds and squirrels. She also loves to lay on us and rub against our feet.

By FrannyV from Williamsburg, VA

Cassie on the floor near sleeping child.

Hailey The Cat

Hailey is 5 years old. She was born in a barn and someone found her.

She likes to chase anything with catnip in it. We decided to get a large can of tuna at our local Costco. I usually give Hailey the little tidbits at the bottom and I just had to take a picture of her with the giant warehouse can of tuna. She could fit her whole head in it!

By Carol from Landisville, PA

Cat with her head in a tuna can.

Cassie and Allie Cat

Cassie and Allie Cat are are 6 and 7 and are tortoise shell and calico female cats.

Allie showed up at door in rainstorm and Cassie we got after our other calico cat was put to sleep.

They both like to lie in sun mostly and sleep. Both are quite friendly, but Allie cat was probably abused as a kitten and tends to bite if petted too much. But we love her anyways and believe God sent her to us to take care of.

By Sherri from Granbury, TX

Tortoiseshell cat.