Calico Breed Information and Photos

Category Cat Breeds
Calico refers to the coloration of these sweet, loving, and loyal cats rather than defining an actual breed. Calico cats are generally accepted into many breeds except, for example, pointed breeds, ie. Siamese. This is a guide about Calico breed information and photos.

We have a young calico colored cat. It has very light tan markings plus blue colored markings and no other color on it. I have never seen a blue and light tan colored cat before. Does anyone know anything about this color of cat?

By Lynda from Grinnell, IA

It's called a Blue Cream or a Dilute Tortoiseshell or Calico depending on how much white.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Pepper is a calico cat and lives in the barn. We adopted her when we moved here. We noticed lately that she loves to climb trees and shrubs. She had been eyeballing the bird feeder for a few days; watching from the ground.

What a surprise we had on Christmas morning to find Pepper in the bird-feeder. She had moved in and was ready to ambush. :)

By Sheila

Pepper (Calico Cat)

Comment Like this photo? 19

I'm the tree ornament. :)

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Tilly and Sophie are 3 months old and Calicos. My daughter's friend found the kittens abandoned in her garage. They were only about 3 weeks old.

They love to chase each other around the house. And they snuggle together when they sleep. They really love each other!

By Beth from Menomonee Falls, WI

Comment Like this photo? 16

Who can resist kittens! 5 stars and a thumbs up to you for taking them in!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Cheebus is 9 years old. Cheebus is very special to me because my best friend gave her to me right before she passed away from a sudden severe stroke at the age of 29. I wasn't looking to have another cat, but she told me I'd make a good mother.

Oh, has this cat ever brought so much joy into my life. The best thing about her is I think of my late girlfriend -every- time I look at Cheebus. What a beautiful gift. Cheebus knows my schedule very well. She will sit inside the bathroom sink minutes before she knows I'm going to brush my teeth and put on my makeup. She likes to sleep next to me the way a human sleeps in bed. When I wake up in the morning, she is laying parallel to me with her head on the pillow and her body tucked under the blanket, body straight. Cracks me up every time! She is truly something special.

By attosa from Los Angeles, CA

Comment Like this photo? 16
Anonymous

So sorry for the loss of your friend, Toosa, but am so happy you and Cheebus have one another for friendship and comfort! Does his name have anything to do with those plants with the seven narrow pointed leaves? ;-)

Reply Like this photo? Yes

mother cat licking her baby

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 2

Daisy is giving her baby a little kiss. She is such a good mommy to little Lela, and takes good care of all her kittens. I'm not rehoming this kitten until the spring.

Long haired calico cat portrait

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 10

Kelly is a 6 year old long haired, calico cat. We got Kelly from a friend who is moving from Washington to Michigan. She has been living with us for three months now. Kelly is very loving, playful, and flirty cat.

Sleeping calico cat on cushion

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 9

Pip is an 8 year old calico cat. I found her as a tiny kitten one very hot day while taking a walk. She was huddled on the sidewalk in the corner of a downtown building.

Bella calico cat

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 11

Bella is a 4 year old Calico Cat. I was fostering Bella last year for PURRS in Naperville. I fell in love with her and wanted her to stay with me forever.

Tater (Calico)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 8

Tater (Tat) is less than a year old. She's a "Heinz57" (mixed breed, unknown, Mutt). When I first moved here my neighbor brought her to me. She likes to catch mice and bring them to me! Tater likes to nap with me.

Callie (Calico Cat)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 16

Callie is a 4 1/2 years old calico cat. We got Callie from a friend, when she was a tiny kitten. She was the runt of the litter. Callie loves to play outside, and chase the butterflies.

black and white photo of Lola

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 6

I got her from my aunt about 4 months ago, but I knew her when she was a baby as well.

cat in a red jacket

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 8

Earlier this year, I was all ready for a kitten. I had bought food, a litter box, litter, toys, a brush, a bed, everything I needed. The only thing I was missing was the kitten.

Cat sitting next to aquarium.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 5

Since I got this fish aquarium, it is Callie's favorite place to sit. She loves watching the fish swim and bats at the outside glass. Bet she would love to really get at my fish!

diluted calico cat under a blanket

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 8

I was working from home and when my girlfriend came in she gave me a box and put it in my hands while I was on the phone for business.

silhouette of Piglet in window

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 2

I got her from the animal shelter several years ago. She likes to play with a paper wad or bread tie. She likes to watch the snow from inside the house in her favorite window sill.

Cat Laying on Fax Machine

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 13

How often do we feel just like this while waiting for that important fax? This is Gizzy, our 2 year old. My husband named her Gizmo after she had laid her ears flat out once as a kitten while watching a bird.

Comment Like this photo? 7

Lucy is a 10 year old Calico cat. I got Lucy 9 years ago when a friend had a baby and got rid of Lucy. I would rather have Lucy then a baby any day.

Lumpy

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 3

We got them when my husband suffered a stroke. He was under a lot of stress which brought on the stroke with high blood pressure so we got the kittens to help relieve some stress.

Molly (Calico)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 8

This is Molly. She is a healthy 7 year old, and was about 2 weeks in this photo. She's a medium-long haired calico. Molly was found by my neighbor when she was 2 days old. Her eyes didn't open for a week. We fed her with a bottle which you see, she took to easily.

Callie, a calico cat on a deck railing

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 6

Callie is 5 years old and a calico. We got Callie as a kitten several years ago. She is the mother of 4 beautiful kitties. We kept 2 and gave 2 to other family members. We had her fixed so she won't have any more kittens.

Cali doing her splat cat impression.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 4

Cali was our daughter's cat. She got her from the Humane Society on Ohau. She came to stay with us for awhile and was the acting mommy cat to our little tabby Pekoe.

Powderpuff on the bed.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 2

20 yrs ago my husband found her in our backyard hiding up the tree, scared to death of the other cats, with a pick bow around her neck. He finally got her down, she was white and gray, mostly white and fluffy as she still is. She is old now and set in her ways, a queen, and stays in the bedroom.

calico cat

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Maggie the Cat (Calico). Maggie is a 3 year old Calico Cat. A friend gave her to me when she was a kitten.

calico cat lying down

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 1

I got her in 2003 when my daughter's cat had kittens. She was one of the kittens. She loves to play with ribbons or anything I move around.

Ms. Jewel is our calico charmer's name. We brought her home from a Animal Rescue when she was six months, as her previous owner passed away. It was funny because of her vibrant colors, we named her Jewel. However, I think she was meant to have this new name.

Comment Like this photo? Yes

Cat with her head in a tuna can.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Hailey is 5 years old. She was born in a barn and someone found her.

Tortoiseshell cat.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Cassie and Allie Cat are are 6 and 7 and are tortoise shell and calico female cats.

Cassie on the floor near sleeping child.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 1

Cassie is a 4 year old Calico. We got Cassie from PetSmart when she was 1. She was such a sweet cat who obviously loved people. Cassie loves to sit in the windowsill when we have the windows open. She loves to be in the sunroom and watch the birds and squirrels. She also loves to lay on us and rub against our feet.

Cheryl is a long haired Calico. She loves to think she is "hiding" in the grass.

By Nikki from Santa Clarita, CA

Absolutely gorgeous!