Candle Wax Stains on Clothing

How do you get candle wax out of a cotton shirt? I ironed the wax out with a paper bag. It appeared to be out so I washed it. It still appeared to be out so I dried it a little, but took it out after about 5 minutes. It's still there. Have I ruined my shirt?

Rhonda from Edmond, OK

Answers:

Candle Wax Stains on Clothing

Had blue candle wax spill all over my son's brand new cotton plaid shirt in about 5 different areas. I heard not to use the iron with blue (non-white) wax as it may set the stain. First, I scraped off as much as I could with a knife. Then threw the shirt in the freezer for an hour and scraped more off.

Then I used a blow dryer to heat up and melt the wax, blotting with paper towels. (It's a pain because the paper towels blow away). Then I soaped it up with a Dawn-like soap (we live in Central America and have this soap called Axion which takes grease off) and with a toothbrush and hot water scrubbed and scrubbed. Rinsed, soaped and scrubbed more. Then put whole shirt in warm water with the soap. Just rinsed it out and it looks like it all came out, wax and stains.
The trick is to keep at it. (05/15/2008)

By Margo

Candle Wax Stains on Clothing

(Sent in by Email)
As I was going thru your answers on how to get candle wax out, I happened to remember what I had read in a magazine on the subject.
My wax left a deep red color on a new and expensive tablecloth. I went to my husband's tool closet and got the WD 40 and sprayed it. Some spots required twice, but it disappeared. After washing, it was good as new.
(07/28/2008)

By ThriftyFun

Candle Wax Stains on Clothing

Use a blow dryer it comes right off. (08/12/2008)

By kyyiy

Candle Wax Stains on Clothing

Most of the remedies for wax spills on clothing, carpets, etc. work well, especially using ice paks to harden the wax, then scrapping the wax off. However, I suggest that we all start using Soy candles in the future. They are environmentally pure, safer, and easier to clean up stains. (12/25/2008)

By Lou B.

A green candle that is burning.
Cleaning Wax from Clothing
Star shaped glass candle holder.
Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
candle
Cleaning Candle Wax from Upholstery
Man Holding Burger with Mustard Stain on his Tie
Removing Mustard Stains from Clothing
sweat stain on dark clothing
Perspiration Stains on Dark Clothing
🎉
🎄