Cat Losing Hair on Back

By Monique Green B. 1

My cat is a male 8 years of age. He started losing hair on his back. It started small and now it's getting bigger. What could it be? I am not working and have no money for a vet. I scared it will make my other cat sick. Please help me save his life. What should I do?

Black and white cat on floor.

By Monique

By Kris 1 Flag

If the skin on his back is inflamed and/or flaky to go along with the hair loss he may be suffering from a flea allergy. Some animals are highly allergic to flea saliva and even one bite can trigger a reaction. The itch is so bad that they obsessively scratch and/or chew at the irritated spots obsessively. I have 2 dogs with flea allergies and I've had people think they have mange before because of the hair loss.

If you suspect fleas, grab some blue Dawn dish soap and some body armor to give him a bath. Make sure you treat the carpets for fleas as well (flea carpet powder is about $5 at wally world) and wash any bedding or toys. Make sure you treat the yard too. Flea killer spray (the kind that attaches to the water hose) is about $10 at wally world. I hope this helped.. I hope he gets to feeling better :)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

cat biting hair of his leg
Remedies for Cat Losing Hair
Pets CatsJune 19, 2012
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Losing Weight After Having a Baby, Woman in Red Coat Walking Her Baby Stroller in the Park
Losing Weight After Having a Baby
cat biting hair of his leg
Remedies for Cat Losing Hair
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 7, 2016 at 12:04:04 AM on 10.0.1.228 in 949 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings