Cat Peeing on the Bed

I've had my cat for years now and about a year ago he has began peeing on the bed, but only where I sleep. It's not a health issue, his litter box is regularly cleaned and he uses it normally. He is spayed, healthy, and normal. But he pees wherever I sleep and I don't know how to make him stop. He pees only on the side I sleep on and if I move to the couch he'll pee there too. I've tried barricading off my bed, but that doesn't work. How do I get him to stop?

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

Your cat may be stressed, or have a urinary tract problem. In either case you need to visit your vet. It does sound a bit like stress since he seeks out places where you have been, ie with a comforting familiar smell, to pee on. For now, I would get some newspaper and make sure it has your smell on it - wear it around for a while! - and put that down where you want him to pee. I do hope you get this sorted.

It sounds to me like he doesn't want you to sleep and is doing this for your attention. I would put him in a small carrier while you sleep.

I think he is trying to get your attention while you are sleeping. I would put him in a pet carrier when you go to bed.

I agree with the pet carrier, only I would get a huge dog crate and make him a den. I would put a litter box, a bed and water in there. A few toys would be great too. I would put him in there each night. This is not a punishment, but just a way to help you pet succeed in not wetting on your sleeping quarters. I have 11 cats at present, and once I know they have learned to use the litter box, I switch out the litter to cedar shavings. I feel that litter can be rough on some cat's paws. I have one kitten or two that still have not learned to use the litter box. I will do the crate thing on them, after I have rehomed the other kittens. I will tell you that cats are very strong willed, but love is something they all need, and helping them succeed is a good strategy to help overcome the problem if it is not physical. I would also suggest switching them over to Rachel Ray cat food, if they are out of the kitten stages. Corn is not good for any animal and that is what most pet food is, is a lot of corn.

Let us know on here how everything works out.

Sincerely,

Robyn

Take your cat to the vet and see if they have a urinary tract infection. They are painful and sometimes this is how cats tell you something is wrong.

You say you have had your cat for years now; but you are sure this is not a health problem. I think it may well be a health problem. Older cats often develop urinary tract infections, bladder stones, and some develop diabetes. Any of these would cause the symptoms you describe. Your cat may be sleeping where you do because it comforts him. Cats with UTIs or diabetes will urinate while they are asleep and be unaware of it. All of these illnesses are easily treated. If your guy has not been evaluated for these diseases, get him to your Vet. Good luck to you.

My dog had a kidney problem which made him drink a lot of water. In addition he was unable to concentrate his urine so it did not have any odor. The vet said it was an autoimmune disease. It did eventually clear up and may have been caused by an infection.

I wonder if your cat is urinating in other places but because it has no odor you may not be aware of it. He may be urinating wherever he goes. Is he drinking a lot? That's a sign of illness. A number of situations can cause him to pee outside of the litter box, some quite serious like kidney disease and some rather easy to cure like an infection. Watch for blood in his urine and try to assess if his pee is of a normal quantity. If you can slip a plastic cup under him to catch some urine while he is urinating you could provide your vet with a sample. It doesn't have to be in a sterile container. Whatever you observe will help your vet make a proper diagnosis. Best of luck.

Cat on a white bed with a window in the background
Keeping Cats from Peeing on a Bed
Pets CatsDecember 11, 2016
A garden bed made from an old blue bed.
Make a Garden "Bed" Out of an Old Bed Frame
A Chihuahua laying in its bed.
Dog Peeing in Its Own Bed
Litter Box
Cat Peeing Outside Litter Box
package with a featherbed topper
Using A Featherbed Topper
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 17, 2017 at 2:17:23 PM on 10.0.0.74 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.