Cat Recently Stopped Peeing in Litterbox

What should I do about my cat? She is 2 years old and I've had her since she was 4 months old. Recently she has been peeing on my carpet and my bed sheets. She only pees around one area. Also, she poops in her litter box just fine.

My parents are seriously thinking of making me give her to a shelter. I've tried a lot of things and I don't have the heart to punish her. I need help ASAP. I don't want to give up my baby. Help!

By Bree from Lancaster, PA

Answers:

If you see her doing it pick her up right away and put her right in the litter box, or you can try moving the box to wear it is that she is going pee. Cats most times have reasons for peeing other than in the litter box, maybe even try and buy a new box. (09/07/2010)

By chrissy0214

I had a cat that did that and I called my vet and she said to bring her in. Turned out she had a urinary tract infection. You might want to take her in. (09/07/2010)

By msburny

Please take your kitty to the vet! My cat was doing the same thing and had a urinary tract infection. Meds were the cure. Don't wait, as it could turn into a serious kidney infection. (09/08/2010)

By REVAH

I took her to the vet and it has something to do with a small bladder and her bladder lining is really thin. (09/08/2010)

By hollyberry1313

8 out of 10 times this behavior indicates a urinary tract infection. It is very painful for the cat, and she associates this pain with being in the litter box. So she stops going there. Get her to a Vet as soon as you can. She needs antibiotics. They do recur from time to time so be on the lookout for her avoiding the box again. (09/08/2010)

By Lizzyanny

Hello,
Please take her to the Vet for a urinalysis to rule out anything to do with any bladder problems. Also, please make sure her box is clean all the time. Some cats are very finicky about this. Good luck. (09/09/2010)

By K9cats

You can get a kitty litter at Petsmart called Dr. Elsey's (may not be spelled right). It attracts cats to use their litter box. It has excellent reviews. My daughter just started using it with her cat. Within an hour it had used the litter box twice! She also gives her cat food specifically made to help the urinary tract. (09/09/2010)

By Artlady

Dog Standing on Carpet
Preventing a Dog From Peeing on Carpet and Rugs
toilet trained cat
Toilet Training Your Cat
Litter Box
Cat Peeing Outside Litter Box
Yellow Lab puppy.
Litterbox Training a Puppy
🎄