Consumer AlertsConsumer Advice

Check Used Goods for Recalls

Vote for this contest contender!

I saw someone putting out this baby gate and asked if I could have it. I had trouble adjusting it to fit my door. I got the manual online and it didn't seem to help, so I called the Fisher Price customer service. It turned out that there was a recall on some of the gates because of a high lead count on one of the stickers. Mine wasn't affected, but it seems to be stuck in one position due to its age or some kind of bending from its former owner.

Before you buy or take anything used, especially for children, take the time to see if there is a recall on it. Using second-hand goods saves our planet, but our children come first!

Definitely important to check if products are on recall. Same with car seats if they've been in any accident even minor they should not be resold. It is not safe for the child.

Something to consider. I stopped shopping at. or even going into used items stores, after the massive bedbug outbreaks and infestations. If one so much as brushes their purse, briefcase or clothing against something already infested - - or even just stands near it - I'm told that bedbugs are quite the jumpers, one can then potentially end up bringing them home. They can hide in books, cookie jars, plastic bowls or bags, metal items, whatever, etc. I once got a used book only to find a dead louse in it upon opening it to read. I tossed the entire book and shipping package in the garbage and immediately took it to the outside trash. (Maybe there were more live ones in any of this) Not to be a downer, however but, unfortunately, in these days of massive world-wide travel, one MUST give serious consideration to this and ways to prevent issues.

JMS

You are not a downer. However, I read an article that said bedbugs can be gotten from new items, too! The article said to throw all fabric items in a hot dryer for 20 minutes, regardless of where you obtained it. I do this as soon as I get it home.

Bedbugs can be found in the finest hotels. You need to put your luggage on a table and check your mattress.