Chop Suey Recipes

Category Chinese
Chop Suey Recipes
Chop Suey is a delicious, quick, and easy dish to prepare. This guide contains recipes for Chop Suey.

This recipe is an American version of the classic Chinese dish. With bean sprouts, mushrooms and lots of flavor, it is sure to be a family friendly weeknight favorite.

Cook macaroni in 3 cups boiling salted water in saucepan until tender. Set aside, covered, for 5 minutes; drain. Saute' onion, green pepper and celery in butter in skillet until golden; set aside. Brown ground beef with seasonings in skillet, stirring until crumbly.

Great Oriental flavored dish!

• 1 lb. ground beef
  • 2 Tbsp. shortening
  • 2 medium onions, chopped
  • 1/2 cup celery, chopped
  • 1 can cream of chicken soup
  • 1 can cream of mushroom soup
  • 1 1/2 cups warm water
  • 1/2 cup rice, uncooked
  • 2 tsp. soy sauce
  • 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
  • Chinese noodles

Directions:

Brown beef in shortening. Mix next 8 ingredients, rinsing soup cans with warm water. Place in casserole dish. Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour. Top with Chinese noodles and bake an additional 15 minutes.

Servings: 8
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cooking Time: 75 Minutes

By Robin from Washington, IA

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 cups cubed, cooked pork
  • 1 cup pork gravy
  • 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
  • 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 1 stalk celery, diced
  • 1 Tbsp. margarine or cooking oil

Directions

Heat the pork, gravy, soy sauce, and brown sugar together slowly. In a small skillet, saute' onion and celery in margarine or oil. Do not overcook the onion and celery, leaving a little crispy. Add to the meat and gravy mixture just before serving. Serve over hot cooked rice.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Growing up, my mother used to make this meal using Chun King bean sprouts. It contained hamburger, celery, and bean sprouts. I can't remember anything else, but I remember the celery took on the flavor of the meat and I loved it.

I've tried to find the recipe on the web with no luck. It used be on the can of bean sprouts. I haven't looked lately, but last time I did, it wasn't there. Does anyone know about this recipe and if so, would you share it? Thanks.

By Vikki28217 from Charlotte, NC

Best Answer

It was kind of a chop suey sort of dish. My impression is cooked and drain hamburger, slice celery and onion, add to hamburger with 1 bouillon cube, bit of water for sauce, in which is 1 tablespoon cornstarch, some soy sauce. Heat until thickened, which cooks the veggies just enough.

It could have had sliced mushrooms. Served with steamed rice. I use bouillon-KNORR- from Walmart, about 75 cents per box. The bouillon (I use both beef for beef and chicken for poultry) is excellent and often a half cube is enough. You could probably substitute leftover roasted chicken shreds too.

I might be wrong, because I think it goes back to the 60's. You can buy fresh sprouts now too at the grocers. Just the heat of the sauce, and maybe put a lid on for 5 minutes after bring to a boil to thicken would cook the veggies.

Best Answer

If anyone is interested, here's the recipe:

HAMBURGER CHOP SUEY

La Choy Brown Gravy Sauce

1/2 cup light or dark corn syrup

1 teaspoon La Choy Soy Sauce

Combine the two ingredients.

Chop Suey

1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter

1 pound hamburger

1 medium onion, chopped

Dash ground black pepper

2 teaspoons salt

2 cups diced celery

1 1/2 cups boiling water

2 cups bean sprouts, rinsed and drained

1 can (2 ounces) mushrooms, drained

Hot cooked rice or chow mein noodles

For the sauce:

2 tablespoons water

2 tablespoons cornstarch

1 tablespoon soy sauce

1 tablespoon Brown Gravy Sauce (recipe above)

1 teaspoon granulated sugar

Melt the butter in a frying pan and fry the beef until light brown. Add the onion, pepper, salt, celery and boiling water. Bring to a boil; cover the pan and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the meat is tender. Add the bean sprouts and mushrooms.

Combine the sauce ingredients, add to the hot mixture and stir until thickened. Serve over rice or chow mein noodles.

If it is still too bland for your taste, you might add teryaki sauce to it. I also use 2 bouillon cubes in the 1 1/2 cups water. We love water chestnuts so I put a can of those and didn't add the mushrooms because I don't really know what a good mushroom looks like and I didn't have any.

It's sad but I realize that as I get older, my taste buds are getting old too! LOL! Vicki