Circuit Breaker Keeps Tripping

I have a circuit breaker that just started tripping. My fridge was plugged into an outlet serviced by this breaker. I am wondering if the fridge may be the problem? Do I need an electrician?

The fridge is at least 20 years old. The outlet has been fine for over 37 years. I have the fridge plugged into another outlet serviced by a different breaker and it has been okay for over an hour now.

By Susan from Springfield, MA

Answers:

Circuit Breaker Keeps Tripping

I would call an electrician and have him put an amp meter on the fridge. The compressor may be going and would draw more amps when it starts which could trip the breaker. Also, the breaker could be going bad. Have it checked soon, better to pay for prevention and get it fixed than to come home to a fridge full of bad food. (01/06/2010)

By zoodad

Circuit Breaker Keeps Tripping

Pull the fridge out, unplug, make sure it's vacuumed for dust, examine the cord carefully, check where it's wired into the fridge if you can see it. Check for anything touching wires, etc.

Turn off the breaker to that area, and then undo the screws on the plug in cover and look for the obvious; loosening wire screws, any signs of mice in walls. Tighten screws holding wires in place, check for dust or anything touching wires.

If everything looks okay, you'll probably have to call the electrician. (01/07/2010)

By PIKKA

Circuit Breaker Keeps Tripping
Circuit Breaker Keeps Tripping
human hand flipping the switch on the circuit breaker.
Dishwasher Tripping a Circuit Breaker
electrician working on breaker box
Installing a New Circuit Breaker
breaker box
Pool Keeps Tripping Circuit Breaker
🎉
🎄