Circuit Breaker Keeps Tripping

The power went out in my bedroom. I checked the fuse box and breaker (arc fault breaker type braf 20) was tripped. It seems like the breaker was just sitting between on and off.

I flipped in off then back on and it immediately goes back to the same spot. I unplugged all electronics in my bedroom, turned off the main on my breaker box and pulled the power wire out of the breaker. I turned the breaker on and it stayed on without the wire connected.

I put the wire back in, turned on the main and the bedroom breaker tripped to the same spot. My house is only 10 months old so you wouldn't think its bad wiring. Can anyone please help me?

By Matt from Oklahoma City

Answers:

Circuit Breaker Keeps Tripping

Sitting between on and off means the breaker has tripped. The circuit may be overloaded, some outlets or light switches may have loose connections or the breaker itself may be faulty. (02/22/2010)

By OliveOyl

Circuit Breaker Keeps Tripping

The position between ON and OFF is the "tripped" position. There's obviously a short in the circuit, OR a bad breaker. The breaker doesn't cost much, so replace it with a new one and see if it trips. If it does, then have an electrician investigate the circuit. Do you know how many devices are tied into the circuit and their locations? You could investigate their terminals to see if any are loose. It wouldn't surprise me if it were a bad breaker or just a loose connection somewhere in the circuit's devices. (02/22/2010)

By Cajun62234

Circuit Breaker Keeps Tripping

If your home is only 10 months old, that electrical work should be warranted. Before you head for the hardware store, head for the phone and call the electrician, or the general contractor. A general contractor would want to know if the electrician is not up to par and the electrician would want to know if the product is bad. An improper repair could cause a fire. Take the proper steps.

(02/27/2010)

By Thrifty Me