Cleaning Magnalite Cookware

Category Dishes
cookware
Magnalite cookware is a line of cast aluminum pots and pans. As with any type of cookware you will want to keep them clean and stain free. This is a guide about cleaning Magnalite cookware.

I boiled a large amount of water in my Magnalite pot. When I poured the water out there was a horrible "water level" black stain. What happened? How do I get the stain off? Is it safe to cook in this pot after removing the stain?

Best Answer

Barkeeper's Friend is great for cleaning pots.

Best Answer

These pots are mostly aluminum so Bar-Keepers Friend should work. Some people recommend using a teaspoon of bleach with a pot of water but I would not use bleach on aluminum but I do think you can use Cream of Tartar (if you have it).

Try not to leave anything on your pot for more than a few minutes (just while you are cleaning) and then rinse thoroughly as your pot may become pitted if not properly treated. You may have to clean it several times.

I recently overheard someone say they kept the outside of their aluminum cookware shiny by using the polish made for shining truck toolboxes.

I have an oval Magnalite pot. We used it to drain some water from our sink and there was some kind of chemical that leaked into the pot. It was Drano or something of that nature. Can the pot be cleaned in some way to reuse it, or should I dispose of it?

By Tonia

Best Answer

I use to have magnalite pots and pans. They are hard, anodized aluminum. If you cook something with tomato stuff in it (acidic) it should change the pan back to normal.

You could also try scrubbing with some vinegar and see what it does, or try soaking with some vinegar and water. I'd keep checking to see how it was going. When ever aluminum gets dark spots, is usually from alkaline stuff coming in contact with the metal.

Drano and the like is very alkaline. If it's strong enough and left on long enough, it could damage the surface, but I'd try the acidic stuff for a bit. They are nice pans. Now, with stainless, acidic stuff makes the surface darken.

This magnalite has been in the family for at least 50 years. I do not put it in the dishwasher. I use hot water, Dawn and a ChoreBoy when needed. It is pitted. When I dry the inside of any piece, a black residue is left on the drying towel. Someone told me recently that this is unsafe. What is this black residue?

Answers

I believe you can clean your cookware with Barkeepers Friend but here is a link that tells how to clean and keep it safe to use.

http://www.ehow  ampaign=yssp_art

https://www.eve  reader-dilemmas/

You will need cream of tartar and an acid like vinegar or lemon juice to clean the cookware. Please refer to this article:https://www.eve  reader-dilemmas/

It's probably aluminum or aluminum-based cookware. I've had really nice non-stick fry pans that were great except for a part of the handle that always leached a dark substance. After much thought, I came to the conclusion that it was made of aluminum and continually oxidized onto anything that touched it. If your cookware is leaching a dark substance and it has sentimental value you could use it for decorative purposes only.

All I am finding regarding the 'black residue' is that this happens when you lean acidic sauces and such in the pans too long. Here is a link to a very informative article on the cookware:

http://www.ebay  007573558/g.html

I wash my Magnalite cookware in the dishwasher, using dishwasher powder. This leaves some sort of residue on my pots. When I dry them (I never use the heat dry cycle), the residue leaves a black-silverish stain on the dish towel and you can almost feel the residue when you rub your hand on the outside of the pot. I have to scrub them with Chore Boy after taking them from the dishwasher to get the residue off. The water from the washing is dark silver or black. Am I not supposed to wash my Magnalite in the dishwasher?

Carolyn from Shreveport, LA

Answers:

Washing Magnalite Cookware

Magnalite is made of aluminum, which does not do well in the dishwasher, because of the chemicals in the dishwasher soap. You should wash it by hand with Dawn or other regular dish detergent, and if needed, use a scrubber for anything that sticks.

Good luck. (10/16/2007)

By sheilamay

using magnalite cookware

Yesterday I made a key lime pie using my Wagner Magnalite pot and the acid in the lime juice caused dark "stuff" to come off the pan. I had to throw the pie out as it also tasted odd. I would suggest not cooking anything acidic (citrus, tomatoes) in Magnalite.
(03/02/2009)

By Linda