Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Cleaning Magnalite Cookware

Magnalite cookware is a line of cast aluminum pots and pans. As with any type of cookware you will want to keep them clean and stain free. This is a guide about cleaning Magnalite cookware.

February 10, 2017 Flag

I boiled a large amount of water in my Magnalite pot. When I poured the water out there was a horrible "water level" black stain. What happened? How do I get the stain off? Is it safe to cook in this pot after removing the stain?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Barkeeper's Friend is great for cleaning pots.

Best Answer

These pots are mostly aluminum so Bar-Keepers Friend should work. Some people recommend using a teaspoon of bleach with a pot of water but I would not use bleach on aluminum but I do think you can use Cream of Tartar (if you have it).

Try not to leave anything on your pot for more than a few minutes (just while you are cleaning) and then rinse thoroughly as your pot may become pitted if not properly treated. You may have to clean it several times.

I recently overheard someone say they kept the outside of their aluminum cookware shiny by using the polish made for shining truck toolboxes.

Sorry - I forgot to mention that your pot is as safe to cook in as it has ever been. The black should not contaminate your food but it should be cleaned well (dish soap) before using.

I would try using a little baking soda....scrub well and it should take care of it.

August 12, 2009 Flag

I have an oval Magnalite pot. We used it to drain some water from our sink and there was some kind of chemical that leaked into the pot. It was Drano or something of that nature. Can the pot be cleaned in some way to reuse it, or should I dispose of it?

By Tonia

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I use to have magnalite pots and pans. They are hard, anodized aluminum. If you cook something with tomato stuff in it (acidic) it should change the pan back to normal.

You could also try scrubbing with some vinegar and see what it does, or try soaking with some vinegar and water. I'd keep checking to see how it was going. When ever aluminum gets dark spots, is usually from alkaline stuff coming in contact with the metal.

Drano and the like is very alkaline. If it's strong enough and left on long enough, it could damage the surface, but I'd try the acidic stuff for a bit. They are nice pans. Now, with stainless, acidic stuff makes the surface darken.

Here are a few things I found just digging around search engine. Hope this helps.

http://www.carp  gnalite-cookware

http://www.ehow  ampaign=yssp_art

I've had my magnalite pots 14 years now and they still look brand new. I use Cameo Stainless steel cleaner. It's about 97 cents at Walmart. It makes your sink shine awesome too.

http://www.cook  luminum_pots.htm

Shirley golden7673 AT yahoo.com

August 12, 2009 Flag

I wash my Magnalite cookware in the dishwasher, using dishwasher powder. This leaves some sort of residue on my pots. When I dry them (I never use the heat dry cycle), the residue leaves a black-silverish stain on the dish towel and you can almost feel the residue when you rub your hand on the outside of the pot. I have to scrub them with Chore Boy after taking them from the dishwasher to get the residue off. The water from the washing is dark silver or black. Am I not supposed to wash my Magnalite in the dishwasher?

Carolyn from Shreveport, LA

Answers:

Washing Magnalite Cookware

Magnalite is made of aluminum, which does not do well in the dishwasher, because of the chemicals in the dishwasher soap. You should wash it by hand with Dawn or other regular dish detergent, and if needed, use a scrubber for anything that sticks.

Good luck. (10/16/2007)

By sheilamay

using magnalite cookware

Yesterday I made a key lime pie using my Wagner Magnalite pot and the acid in the lime juice caused dark "stuff" to come off the pan. I had to throw the pie out as it also tasted odd. I would suggest not cooking anything acidic (citrus, tomatoes) in Magnalite.
(03/02/2009)

By Linda

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning DishesFebruary 21, 2017
A badly burned stainless steel pan
Cleaning Stainless Steel Cookware
Stainless Steel Cookware
Switching to Stainless Steel Cookware
Breakfast burnt and stuck to the bottom of a pan.
Cleaning Stuck Food Off Cookware
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 23, 2017 at 5:18:25 AM on 10.0.2.92 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.