Cleaning Plastic Outdoor Furniture

Category Furniture
Green plastic outdoor chair.
Dingy, dirty plastic outdoor furniture can often be cleaned with a Magic Eraser, pressure washer, or bleach to name a few methods. This is a guide about cleaning plastic outdoor furniture.

How do I clean those white plastic out door chairs? Mine are all dingy and I want to know if anyone has painted theirs with any luck? Except for how hard they are to keep clean, they are in good condition. I have literally scrubbed mine too many times. Help, please.

By myneurotica from Topeka

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

You can use the erasers, or scrub with sudsy pine sol water, but if you paint them, you must get paint just for plastic.

Best Answer

We drilled three small holes in the seat (triangular shape) so that the rain water would drain. Now I no longer have to constantly clean the seats.

I have plastic outdoor chairs that get quite dirty after setting out all the time, especially through the winter months. I have tried all kinds of cleaners, but nothing I have used cuts the dirt.

I would appreciate any help on how to remove this build in dirt.

By Bill C.

Best Answer

Use a power sprayer, if you have one. It works great with no chemicals or scrubbing. You can also use a Mr. Clean magic eraser with a little elbow grease. I know that both of these methods work great on white plastic patio chairs and furniture.

Best Answer

I cleaned mine the best I could then bought"Krylon" spray paint.

Now they look great as they're the color I wanted.

I am trying to clean some plastic outdoor chairs. I have tried all kinds of cleaners to get the dirt off. They sit out in the weather all year long. I tried power washing and it takes off a small strip at a time. I would appreciate any help. Thanks for all of your earlier suggestions, but I am hoping for some additional thoughts.

By Bill C.

Best Answer

There's a product once sold at Family Dollar Stores called Thunder Blast. It removes grime, grease and only needs to be sprayed on and wiped down with a wet cloth after leaving on less than a minute. You can buy this product over the internet, but must get it by the case. This product cleans great and on vinyl siding as well. If you don't want to pay that much money at once, you can still get a product called awesome at Family Dollar and also cleans film, grease, etc but the waiting period is longer and you add water to the solution for as strong as you need it and costs a couple bucks.

I would also recommend ammonia as the next best cleaner as it really gets in the crevices and grooves of my vinyl flooring and brightens it up. Just wet the outdoor furniture down and pour ammonia on it and use a scrub brush if the furniture is vinyl upholstery and rinse off with lots of clean water.

I have several of the plastic outside stackable chairs. Over the years they've gotten "dirty" looking even though they are not dirty. Any tips on cleaning these to get them back to looking nice? Mine are white or an off white color.

Carol from Anderson, IN

Answers:

Cleaning Plastic Outdoor Furniture

Try a Magic Eraser. Worked like a charm on my outdoor plastic furniture. (08/11/2006)

By Mary

Cleaning Plastic Outdoor Furniture

I hope this helps you. I used "Scrub Free" on my plastic furniture and it came out great. I rinsed it first then applied the Scrub Free to a brush and scrubbed. They came out really nice.

Have a good day.
Sherri (08/11/2006)

By Sherri

Cleaning Plastic Outdoor Furniture

If you can't get the yuck off, there are a lot of new paints just for plastic and they come in great colors. Depending on the quality of the chairs it may be cheaper to buy new than a lot of spray paint. But if cost isn't a problem and you really like the chairs I'd paint them. I have as much of a problem throwing out perfectly good stuff too.

Keep in mind that outdoor chairs are subject to the same kind of molds and oxidation cars parked outside are. Ask at the auto parts store what the campers are cleaned with. They sit in parks all summer and get tree sap and mold all over them. It's a different kind of plastic, but it may be worth the try. (08/11/2006)

By Carla B.

Cleaning Plastic Outdoor Furniture

I had the same problem with some chairs that I had and didn't know what to use so I took the chair out in the sun, washed it to make sure that it was as clean as I could get it with just some dish soap and water then sprayed it with some bleach water that I mixed in a spray bottle. I put a little more bleach in it than I usually would and just sprayed the heck out of it. It worked like a charm. I left it in the sun for a while after I rinsed it off and it looks new. Hope this helps. (08/11/2006)

By Brenda

Cleaning Plastic Outdoor Furniture

I use Oxi-clean. It works.

(08/14/2006)

Cleaning Plastic Outdoor Furniture

I washed with Dirtex first. Then sprayed with Lysol Tub and Tile cleaner. Brushed solution over chairs. Let set for five minutes. Sprayed with clear water. Good as new. (07/09/2007)

By Marsha