Cleaning Stains on a Couch

Category Furniture
Depending on the fabric that your sofa is covered with, will determine the best way to remove the stains. This is a guide about cleaning stains on a couch.

I believe it is cotton. I tried nail polish remover, and although it did not remove the color on the fabric butit didn't remove the nail polish either. Any suggestions you may have would be greatly appreciated!

Katrina from Liverpool, PA

So guess what? I slept in today and my one year old and two year old got into my nail polish. They picked the color ORANGE and decided to make an art project out of my mother in laws couch. The couch is blue...micro suede...great right.....and I came on this site too see if I could find something to take it off with the only thing that would work is Wet nail polish, and still left the couch shinny now.

Oh well guess ill have to buy a couch slip or another couch. I tried acetone, rubbing alcohol, wet cloth...everything you could think of. Well guess what I'm doing with my tax return. lol Oh and to make it worse, it's all over my one year old too, and there isn't anything I can do about it because she's a baby except for wet nail polish or let it come off by itself. I know it sounds horrible, but my husband was considering leaving me for this. Laugh it up... I know I'm laughing....

Anonymous

If it happens again use oil to get it off the baby

Well I am using multi brush from Deichmann.....it takes everything off the skin or textil.....i slipped on our floor once and I put the nailpolish on couch...... Couch is white nailpolish was purple.... So I took it and it came out perfectly....just with warm soapy water.....you can buy The brush for 4$ ( sorry for bad english I am Slovak ^^)

How can I get nail polish off of my microfiber couch?

By Kayleigh

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Had the same problem - my daugher and her friends during a birthday party spilled hot pink nail polish on a brand new sand microfiber couch a few years ago - just tried nail polish remover and I can't believe it worked!

I have a set of cream/denim striped couches that are several years old. They have awful sweat stains. How do remove these stains? Oh how I wish I could throw the couches into the washing machine!

Roni

You can use a diluted solution of hot water and oxy clean. Make sure the oxy clean is dissolved, dip a rag into it and rub your sweat stains out. I have kids and this takes just about anything out that is organic on my couches.

Have you tried a steam cleaner? I know you can rent them from grocery stores and such and they should have a hand held attachment for use on surfaces other than floors. I understand they rent for less than $20 which is a cheaper alternative to buying new couches or slipcovers.

I've cleaned my upholstery for years using good old dry Tide detergent. I put about 3/4 cup dry Tide into a deep mixing bowl. Pour about 2 or 3 cups of very hot water over the Tide. Let it dissolve for several minutes. Take your electric mixer and beat the mixture until you get lots of thick foam that stands in peaks. Take a wet washcloth you've wrung out (don't want it dripping wet!) and apply the "foam" to the dirty areas and scrub it around. At times I've then scrubbed with a soft scrub brush too.....it depends on the fabric. Then dip another clean washcloth into clean warm water, wring it out and wipe away the foam and dirt. Keep rinsing the washcloth and wipe the area numerous times. Don't soak the upholstery either during scrubbing or rinsing. Let it dry throughly........maybe a day or two......then run your vacuum over it to pull out any leftover residue. I have a recliner I've cleaned this way numerous times, over the past 20 years, and it still looks nice!

How do I remove ballpoint ink stains from my ultra suede couch?

By Jane from SC

Hurry! Before it sets, Use a Q tip dipped, soaked, in alcohol. Alcohol disolves ink, all types including permanent marker.

Have you tried hairspray? I've used it on leather and other fabrics, spray then wipe with clean cloth. As always try in spot that doesn't show. I've also had good luck with wd40 on wallpaper and fabrics, even fly specks on a white damask chair.

Any ideas on how to get hand moisturizer stains off a bomber leather sofa.

Michelle

By guest client (Guest Post)

Here's a tip from Mary Poppin's Cleaning system site:

http://www.gocl  stain-guide.html

"Hand Lotion

Gently rub in liquid dish soap or squirt on a bit of foamy shaving cream. Wait 30 minutes and rinse with cool water.

If hand lotion has spilled onto wood, the wood absorbs the lotion making the stain removal difficult. Sprinkle on some cornstarch rubbing it into the grain. Let that set 5 to 6 hours vacuum to remove and repeat.

If a stain remains the table will require refinishing. Call a furniture refinishing store for their recommendations."

But they also say:

"Leather

When working with leather rinse the cleaner with sudsy water only, no vinegar. Then a final rinse in cool water. Follow with a leather conditioner. You’ll find excellent leather conditioners in Western Supply stores. They are used to protect boots and saddles. Contact the manufacturer for their recommendation. Leather should be conditioned at least two to three times a year to keep it subtle and prevent cracking.

Generally leather should always be dry cleaned by a professional who specializes in leather cleaning."

So be sure to test any cleaning solution in a portion of leather that won't be visible.

Here's another tip I found:

"Stained leather.To remove grease stains from leather, dab stiffened egg white to the leather and rub with a soft cloth."

http://www.g-k-  uk/furniture.htm

By guest client (Guest Post)

I have heard that if you allow talc powder to sit on the stain it will soak up most if not all of the oil residue and then just condition the leather as normal.

I have a cloth cover on my couch and I noticed a lot and I mean a lot of piling, those little cloth bunnies?!, How do you get them off without having to pick each one off by hand?

How can I get long term set in stains out of a couch?

By Mandy D.

What kind of material is your couch?

My sofa was stained by a black couch cover from Overstock.com. It bled into our off white microfiber sofa.

By Sandy from Lady Lake, FL

My neighbor gave me a sofa he no longer needed and I found it has a stain on the seat. It looks like it might be vomit. How do I remove the stain?

By Rachelle from Denver, CO

Anonymous

You can try spray on combination carpet and upholstery cleaner. Woolite has a brand called Heavy Traffic Carpet and Upholstery that might do the trick :-) Call around to different stores like Walmart, Target, etc. to see if they carry it and if I remember right Ace Hardware stores carry it.

How do I remove a nail strengthener (a form of nail polish) from a fabric chair?

By Anne from Portsmouth, NH

how do i get nail strengthener out of a pak

le grey suede lounge

What will take food grease out of fabric on a couch?

Misty from Raleigh, NC

I've used (Shout) spray laundry on this type of stain & it worked for me. It takes out greecy food stains from clothes.

Spray & use cloth in circular motion, you might have to repeat 2-3 times, but it should work.

Good luck, Sherry.

Baby Tarzan

Depends upon the fabric content/color. If all or half Poly, try Ivory Liquid/warm water and terry rag, then blow dry. If some came out, but the fabric is colored,

keep trying. If no results, blow dry again and try alcohol and terry rag. Blow dry. If red sauce stain, or reddish grease, it might not come out unless you have a white couch/sofa. If white, spray K2R Stain Remover, blow dry hot 30 seconds, then brush Stain

Remover out as it turns to powder when dry. Good luck and God bless your labor. : )

How do I remove a sweat stain from a light green microfibre covered couch?

By Geri from Australia

I use men's shaving cream (any kind, the cheaper kind is just as good) it works just as good as fabric cleaner and is cheaper. I had pine bark stain on the seats of my car and used shaving cream straight from the can, rub it in, wipe with clean cloth and let dry. Vac if needed. The shaving cream turns to powder anyway. Cleans like a miracle. Test on under side of cushion if you are afraid or unsure of the results. Good luck janne

We have a nail varnish stain on our Channile armchair that has dried. Does anyone have an idea how to remove it?

If chair is too heavy for you to move, ask a friend to help,

Skip

very helpful! I did mean remove the stain.

I am trying to find a product to remove a urine stain from my microfiber couch. The cover is not removable.

By rkueny1

I would recommend one (or both) of 2 techniques. Both work amazingly well! You can try peroxide if your couch isn't a dark color (do a test spot in the back of the sofa first).

The other technique is a product (sold at Walmart & Target) called "out!" it has a light vanilla scent & works with enzymes that actually "eat" biologicals. Just spray the out! on to the couch & make sure it gets down into the sofa's filling material, then cover with plastic wrap (it only works when it's wet) then blot & repeat. This stuff is amazing! You can use any brand of pet cleaner that has enzymes in it, I just don't like the ones with a strong floral scent.

* No need to rinse with either product, but you can if you want. I would take a soft brush & "brush" the couch after it totally dries. If the nap is still "flat", just spray lightly with a light mist of water & brush again.

My two year old spilled a whole bottle of purple-ish fingernail polish on my new suede couch. The tag on the couch says to use water based cleaners to clean it. The couch is a blue/gray color. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! PLEASE HELP!

Ashley from Arkansas

Try using a soft old toothbrush and aceton. dip the tooth brush in aceton and in circular motion do a little at a time be sure to rinse the brush out often.

How do I get makeup stains from a microfiber couch?

Mary from Tampa, Fl