Browsing: Cleaning Stains on a Couch

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Cleaning Stains on a Couch

Depending on the fabric that your sofa is covered with, will determine the best way to remove the stains. This is a guide about cleaning stains on a couch.

Cleaning Stains off of a Couch
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

November 2, 2006 Flag

I believe it is cotton. I tried nail polish remover, and although it did not remove the color on the fabric butit didn't remove the nail polish either. Any suggestions you may have would be greatly appreciated!

Katrina from Liverpool, PA

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! This really works! I was freaking out because i spilled nail polish on my boyfriend sofa and was scared it would not come off. I highly recommend to try this solution below. Thank you again!

"My solution was, get a washcloth, put a little bit of rubbing alcohol on one side and scrub scrub scrub. It will take it out a little bit. Then wait for no more than a minute! and Pour Acetone nail polish remover on the other half of your washcloth and scrub scrub scrub! Mine came out perfectly easy!"

So guess what? I slept in today and my one year old and two year old got into my nail polish. They picked the color ORANGE and decided to make an art project out of my mother in laws couch. The couch is blue...micro suede...great right.....and I came on this site too see if I could find something to take it off with the only thing that would work is Wet nail polish, and still left the couch shinny now.

Oh well guess ill have to buy a couch slip or another couch. I tried acetone, rubbing alcohol, wet cloth...everything you could think of. Well guess what I'm doing with my tax return. lol Oh and to make it worse, it's all over my one year old too, and there isn't anything I can do about it because she's a baby except for wet nail polish or let it come off by itself. I know it sounds horrible, but my husband was considering leaving me for this. Laugh it up... I know I'm laughing....

Well I am using multi brush from Deichmann.....it takes everything off the skin or textil.....i slipped on our floor once and I put the nailpolish on couch...... Couch is white nailpolish was purple.... So I took it and it came out perfectly....just with warm soapy water.....you can buy The brush for 4$ ( sorry for bad english I am Slovak ^^)

Read More Answers...

April 20, 2011 Flag

How can I get nail polish off of my microfiber couch?

By Kayleigh

Had the same problem - my daugher and her friends during a birthday party spilled hot pink nail polish on a brand new sand microfiber couch a few years ago - just tried nail polish remover and I can't believe it worked!

January 27, 2005 Flag

I have a set of cream/denim striped couches that are several years old. They have awful sweat stains. How do remove these stains? Oh how I wish I could throw the couches into the washing machine!

Roni

Have you tried a steam cleaner? I know you can rent them from grocery stores and such and they should have a hand held attachment for use on surfaces other than floors. I understand they rent for less than $20 which is a cheaper alternative to buying new couches or slipcovers.

I've cleaned my upholstery for years using good old dry Tide detergent. I put about 3/4 cup dry Tide into a deep mixing bowl. Pour about 2 or 3 cups of very hot water over the Tide. Let it dissolve for several minutes. Take your electric mixer and beat the mixture until you get lots of thick foam that stands in peaks. Take a wet washcloth you've wrung out (don't want it dripping wet!) and apply the "foam" to the dirty areas and scrub it around. At times I've then scrubbed with a soft scrub brush too.....it depends on the fabric. Then dip another clean washcloth into clean warm water, wring it out and wipe away the foam and dirt. Keep rinsing the washcloth and wipe the area numerous times. Don't soak the upholstery either during scrubbing or rinsing. Let it dry throughly........maybe a day or two......then run your vacuum over it to pull out any leftover residue. I have a recliner I've cleaned this way numerous times, over the past 20 years, and it still looks nice!

I use a tea tree oil soap scrub. Then I febreeze the heck out of it. If you can move the item into the sun for a time that is helpful too as the sun rays will also help kill bacteria which cause the odor.

Read More Answers...

November 5, 2009 Flag

How do I remove ballpoint ink stains from my ultra suede couch?

By Jane from SC

Hurry! Before it sets, Use a Q tip dipped, soaked, in alcohol. Alcohol disolves ink, all types including permanent marker.

Have you tried hairspray? I've used it on leather and other fabrics, spray then wipe with clean cloth. As always try in spot that doesn't show. I've also had good luck with wd40 on wallpaper and fabrics, even fly specks on a white damask chair.

March 29, 2004 Flag

Any ideas on how to get hand moisturizer stains off a bomber leather sofa.

Michelle

I have heard that if you allow talc powder to sit on the stain it will soak up most if not all of the oil residue and then just condition the leather as normal.

I have a cloth cover on my couch and I noticed a lot and I mean a lot of piling, those little cloth bunnies?!, How do you get them off without having to pick each one off by hand?

My dog has rubbed her back with flea oil solution on my leather couch. Help????

Read More Answers...

October 27, 2011 Flag

How can I get long term set in stains out of a couch?

By Mandy D.

What kind of material is your couch?

January 12, 2011 Flag

My neighbor gave me a sofa he no longer needed and I found it has a stain on the seat. It looks like it might be vomit. How do I remove the stain?

By Rachelle from Denver, CO

You can try spray on combination carpet and upholstery cleaner. Woolite has a brand called Heavy Traffic Carpet and Upholstery that might do the trick :-) Call around to different stores like Walmart, Target, etc. to see if they carry it and if I remember right Ace Hardware stores carry it.

September 13, 2006 Flag

What will take food grease out of fabric on a couch?

Misty from Raleigh, NC

I've used (Shout) spray laundry on this type of stain & it worked for me. It takes out greecy food stains from clothes.

Spray & use cloth in circular motion, you might have to repeat 2-3 times, but it should work.

Good luck, Sherry.

Baby Tarzan

Depends upon the fabric content/color. If all or half Poly, try Ivory Liquid/warm water and terry rag, then blow dry. If some came out, but the fabric is colored,

keep trying. If no results, blow dry again and try alcohol and terry rag. Blow dry. If red sauce stain, or reddish grease, it might not come out unless you have a white couch/sofa. If white, spray K2R Stain Remover, blow dry hot 30 seconds, then brush Stain

Remover out as it turns to powder when dry. Good luck and God bless your labor. : )

February 2, 2006 Flag

We have a nail varnish stain on our Channile armchair that has dried. Does anyone have an idea how to remove it?

If chair is too heavy for you to move, ask a friend to help,

Skip

very helpful! I did mean remove the stain.

January 8, 2010 Flag

How do I remove a sweat stain from a light green microfibre covered couch?

By Geri from Australia

I use men's shaving cream (any kind, the cheaper kind is just as good) it works just as good as fabric cleaner and is cheaper. I had pine bark stain on the seats of my car and used shaving cream straight from the can, rub it in, wipe with clean cloth and let dry. Vac if needed. The shaving cream turns to powder anyway. Cleans like a miracle. Test on under side of cushion if you are afraid or unsure of the results. Good luck janne

September 21, 2009 Flag

I am trying to find a product to remove a urine stain from my microfiber couch. The cover is not removable.

By rkueny1

I would recommend one (or both) of 2 techniques. Both work amazingly well! You can try peroxide if your couch isn't a dark color (do a test spot in the back of the sofa first).

The other technique is a product (sold at Walmart & Target) called "out!" it has a light vanilla scent & works with enzymes that actually "eat" biologicals. Just spray the out! on to the couch & make sure it gets down into the sofa's filling material, then cover with plastic wrap (it only works when it's wet) then blot & repeat. This stuff is amazing! You can use any brand of pet cleaner that has enzymes in it, I just don't like the ones with a strong floral scent.

* No need to rinse with either product, but you can if you want. I would take a soft brush & "brush" the couch after it totally dries. If the nap is still "flat", just spray lightly with a light mist of water & brush again.

August 7, 2007 Flag

My two year old spilled a whole bottle of purple-ish fingernail polish on my new suede couch. The tag on the couch says to use water based cleaners to clean it. The couch is a blue/gray color. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! PLEASE HELP!

Ashley from Arkansas

Try using a soft old toothbrush and aceton. dip the tooth brush in aceton and in circular motion do a little at a time be sure to rinse the brush out often.

Home and Garden Cleaning FurnitureMarch 18, 2014
Repairing Lumpy Couch Cushions
Repairing Lumpy Couch Cushions
Photo of a furniture spring isolated on white.
Repairing Couch Springs
hand lotion
Cleaning Lotion Stains on Leather Couch
Two girls putting on nail polish on a couch.
Removing Nail Polish Stains From a Couch
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 20, 2016 at 10:19:19 PM on 10.0.0.164 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.