Browsing: Cleaning Stains on a Couch

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Cleaning Stains on a Couch

Depending on the fabric that your sofa is covered with, will determine the best way to remove the stains. This is a guide about cleaning stains on a couch.

Cleaning Stains off of a Couch
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

November 2, 2006 Flag

I believe it is cotton. I tried nail polish remover, and although it did not remove the color on the fabric butit didn't remove the nail polish either. Any suggestions you may have would be greatly appreciated!

Katrina from Liverpool, PA

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

So guess what? I slept in today and my one year old and two year old got into my nail polish. They picked the color ORANGE and decided to make an art project out of my mother in laws couch. The couch is blue...micro suede...great right.....and I came on this site too see if I could find something to take it off with the only thing that would work is Wet nail polish, and still left the couch shinny now.

Oh well guess ill have to buy a couch slip or another couch. I tried acetone, rubbing alcohol, wet cloth...everything you could think of. Well guess what I'm doing with my tax return. lol Oh and to make it worse, it's all over my one year old too, and there isn't anything I can do about it because she's a baby except for wet nail polish or let it come off by itself. I know it sounds horrible, but my husband was considering leaving me for this. Laugh it up... I know I'm laughing....

If it happens again use oil to get it off the baby

Well I am using multi brush from Deichmann.....it takes everything off the skin or textil.....i slipped on our floor once and I put the nailpolish on couch...... Couch is white nailpolish was purple.... So I took it and it came out perfectly....just with warm soapy water.....you can buy The brush for 4$ ( sorry for bad english I am Slovak ^^)

I have the same situation mine has been there almost a month but I been hiding it underneath pillows. My mom wants to sell the couch but she doesn't know about the stain. Help me

April 20, 2011 Flag

How can I get nail polish off of my microfiber couch?

By Kayleigh

Had the same problem - my daugher and her friends during a birthday party spilled hot pink nail polish on a brand new sand microfiber couch a few years ago - just tried nail polish remover and I can't believe it worked!

January 27, 2005 Flag

I have a set of cream/denim striped couches that are several years old. They have awful sweat stains. How do remove these stains? Oh how I wish I could throw the couches into the washing machine!

Roni

You can use a diluted solution of hot water and oxy clean. Make sure the oxy clean is dissolved, dip a rag into it and rub your sweat stains out. I have kids and this takes just about anything out that is organic on my couches.

Have you tried a steam cleaner? I know you can rent them from grocery stores and such and they should have a hand held attachment for use on surfaces other than floors. I understand they rent for less than $20 which is a cheaper alternative to buying new couches or slipcovers.

I've cleaned my upholstery for years using good old dry Tide detergent. I put about 3/4 cup dry Tide into a deep mixing bowl. Pour about 2 or 3 cups of very hot water over the Tide. Let it dissolve for several minutes. Take your electric mixer and beat the mixture until you get lots of thick foam that stands in peaks. Take a wet washcloth you've wrung out (don't want it dripping wet!) and apply the "foam" to the dirty areas and scrub it around. At times I've then scrubbed with a soft scrub brush too.....it depends on the fabric. Then dip another clean washcloth into clean warm water, wring it out and wipe away the foam and dirt. Keep rinsing the washcloth and wipe the area numerous times. Don't soak the upholstery either during scrubbing or rinsing. Let it dry throughly........maybe a day or two......then run your vacuum over it to pull out any leftover residue. I have a recliner I've cleaned this way numerous times, over the past 20 years, and it still looks nice!

I use a tea tree oil soap scrub. Then I febreeze the heck out of it. If you can move the item into the sun for a time that is helpful too as the sun rays will also help kill bacteria which cause the odor.

November 5, 2009 Flag

How do I remove ballpoint ink stains from my ultra suede couch?

By Jane from SC

Hurry! Before it sets, Use a Q tip dipped, soaked, in alcohol. Alcohol disolves ink, all types including permanent marker.

Have you tried hairspray? I've used it on leather and other fabrics, spray then wipe with clean cloth. As always try in spot that doesn't show. I've also had good luck with wd40 on wallpaper and fabrics, even fly specks on a white damask chair.

March 29, 2004 Flag

Any ideas on how to get hand moisturizer stains off a bomber leather sofa.

Michelle

Here's a tip from Mary Poppin's Cleaning system site:

http://www.goclean.com/stain-guide.html" rel="nofollow" target="new">http://www.goclean.com/stain-guide.html

"Hand Lotion

Gently rub in liquid dish soap or squirt on a bit of foamy shaving cream. Wait 30 minutes and rinse with cool water.

If hand lotion has spilled onto wood, the wood absorbs the lotion making the stain removal difficult. Sprinkle on some cornstarch rubbing it into the grain. Let that set 5 to 6 hours vacuum to remove and repeat.

If a stain remains the table will require refinishing. Call a furniture refinishing store for their recommendations."

But they also say:

"Leather

When working with leather rinse the cleaner with sudsy water only, no vinegar. Then a final rinse in cool water. Follow with a leather conditioner. You’ll find excellent leather conditioners in Western Supply stores. They are used to protect boots and saddles. Contact the manufacturer for their recommendation. Leather should be conditioned at least two to three times a year to keep it subtle and prevent cracking.

Generally leather should always be dry cleaned by a professional who specializes in leather cleaning.

"

So be sure to test any cleaning solution in a portion of leather that won't be visible.

Here's another tip I found:

"Stained leather.To remove grease stains from leather, dab stiffened egg white to the leather and rub with a soft cloth. "

http://www.g-k-b.fsnet.co.uk/furniture.htm" rel="nofollow" target="new">http://www.g-k-b.fsnet.co.uk/furniture.htm

I have heard that if you allow talc powder to sit on the stain it will soak up most if not all of the oil residue and then just condition the leather as normal.

I have a cloth cover on my couch and I noticed a lot and I mean a lot of piling, those little cloth bunnies?!, How do you get them off without having to pick each one off by hand?

My dog has rubbed her back with flea oil solution on my leather couch. Help????

October 27, 2011 Flag

How can I get long term set in stains out of a couch?

By Mandy D.

What kind of material is your couch?

January 12, 2011 Flag

My neighbor gave me a sofa he no longer needed and I found it has a stain on the seat. It looks like it might be vomit. How do I remove the stain?

Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning FurnitureMarch 18, 2014
Repairing Lumpy Couch Cushions
Repairing Lumpy Couch Cushions
Photo of a furniture spring isolated on white.
Repairing Couch Springs
hand lotion
Cleaning Lotion Stains on Leather Couch
Two girls putting on nail polish on a couch.
Removing Nail Polish Stains From a Couch
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 25, 2016 at 10:12:33 AM on 10.0.0.74 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.