Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Cleaning Tree Sap Off Hands

A stubborn substance to remove from your skin. This guide is about cleaning tree sap off hands.

October 11, 2007 Flag

Tips for removing pine sap or pitch from your hands as posted by the ThriftyFun community. Post your own ideas here.

Toothpaste

While arranging some pine boughs in a vase as a centerpiece, I ended up with pine sap all over my hands. I tried soap, Dawn, scrubbed, and scrubbed, nothing worked - still sticky.

I went upstairs and got some toothpaste (not the gel kind) and put a quarter size dollop in my hand, then added a bit of water. Washed my hands like you normally do and the pine sap was gone - no sticky!

By Jenny in KY

Pam Cooking Spray

My son in law told me to use Pam, or something similar, to remove tree sap from my hands and he was right. It came right off.

By Granfran

Pam Works In 10 Seconds

Pam works fast and it does not hurt from scrubbing. I could not remember where I read butter, but after looking at Pam, and having tried many of the above solvents: Dawn, toothpaste, Joy, Grease Monkey, tar soap, baking soda, finger nail polish remover in the past. I decided to try the internet first this time. Pam non stick food spray! 10 seconds, and soft clean, smooth hands!

By Katylin

Nail Polish Remover

My mom always used fingernail polish remover. I've heard you can use petroleum jelly as well.

By Sachi

Lestoil Cleaner

We have always sworn by Lestoil.

By japhysimon.

WD-40

While working at a florist shop, we used WD-40.

By JODI

Cooking Oil

To get "Pine Sap" off your hands, put a small amount of cooking oil on your hands just enough to coat your hands. Then rub your hands together for about 1 whole minute or so. The pitch will loosen up and once it does you can then wash it off with soap and water. Repeat if necessary. Works great!

By Luckyluke

Peanut Butter

I've found That peanut butter works best at removing pine tar from your hands. Put a little dollop in your hands, wash and rinse as usual with a little warm water and your good to go.

By C.M . Mang

Oil Is The Key

The peanut butter worked great for me! I think any oil based product such as butter, Pam or any kind of cooking oil will do the trick, too.

By Michelle

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have done a fair bit of logging. Naturally, you wear gloves, but now and then they have to come off for various reasons, and you get sap onto your hands. If you don't get rid of it, you will have blisters, because the gloves don't slide on the sap and pull the skin.

If you are in the bush, hours from town, you can't run upstairs to get toothpaste or similarly silly concoctions.

Loggers carry a small hip pocket size can of OFF mosquito spray, even in winter. One quick squirt, and one fast wipe of the hand onto the jeans, and the sap is gone.

OFF does not leave an oily residue. The hands are clean and ready for work in 2 seconds.

By the way, I have been hit by my Million mosquitos and they don't like me anymore. I have not needed to spray the OFF on me as a repellent since the mid 80's.

Have FUN!

DearWebby

April 9, 2008 Flag

This is a handy tip I learned while cleaning up pine limbs after a recent ice storm. If you get pine sap on your skin you can spray a little WD40 on it and rub it gently. Then wash with soap and water and it will come off completely. I wish I had discovered this sooner as in the past it has been such a pain to finally get it all off.

By Vickie from Dawson Springs, KY

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Something else that works really well, is mix some milk and plain yogurt together till creamy, then apply that to your hands and allow them to dry (with the milk mix on) and then the tree sap will just roll and crumble right off.

September 15, 2006 Flag

To remove pine tar from your hands: spray with Pam Cooking Spray or a similar product. . .

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceAugust 17, 2012
Laminate Flooring
Cleaning Tree Sap From Laminate Flooring
Beautiful Cedar Deck
Removing Sap from a Deck
Tree sap coming out of a cut tree.
Cleaning Tree Sap from Clothing
Sap spot and cleaning supplies.
Removing Tree Sap on Microfiber
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 17, 2017 at 7:11:42 AM on 10.0.2.68 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.