Cleaning With Ammonia

Ammonia is a common cleaning agent found in many cleaners you buy at the store. It can also be purchased as a stand alone cleaner. This is a guide about cleaning with ammonia.

May 7, 2016 Flag

I've read the good advice on how to clean an electric oven. Seems like one cannot buy ammonia on the internet, unless one is a school, or a business. I remember my mother, in the old days, she always had ammonia at the house. Do you have any advice on how I can get ammonia for household use?

where can I buy ammonia

All Dollar Tree's stores have ammonia available $1.

April 21, 2010 Flag

Keep carpet cleaning simple. I have a small steam vacuum. I have always had trouble rinsing out soap residue on carpet areas even when using very little soap in the cleaner. Recently I tried adding a little ammonia to the water instead of soap. I found that it did a terrific job cleaning, produced no ammonia odor, dried very quickly, and required no rinsing. All of which made my job much easier. I would highly recommend this procedure.

By Marie from West Dundee, IL

This is great, but I'd advise using NON-Sudsing ammonia.

I would do a test in a hidden area to check to see what the ammonia might do to the color of your carpet.

August 22, 2006 Flag

I'd tried everything, including tips from this site and was about to give up and tear out the carpet where my 1 year old silver tabby had sprayed AND peed in the corner of my closet, on my brand new carpet. I thought I'd give it one more shot and poured nearly half a bottle of sudsy ammonia in that entire half of the closet! AND IT WORKED!

No more gagging smell, nothing! And best of all, Sparky has decided that he is done with spraying and peeing inside the house, and he will not even enter that closet at all now!

I placed a table fan blowing on the carpet to dry it and since it is commercial grade, rubber-backed carpet, the whole process took less than a day. I was quite fortunate to not have to go more drastic and replace the carpet squares, and the cat!

SUDSY AMMONIA saved the day for us! Hope this works for someone else, too.

By Terry from Homer, AK

Sudsy ammonia vs cat pee odors. I have read where ammonia mimics the odor which will attract cats. You may have gotten lucky and over did the spray. If the odor wears off over time you will know for sure! Then too the cat may just not want to go near the toxic fumes again, and knows enough to stay away. Good luck.

I was living on a country farm 10 miles from the nearest town and my car was parked in my garage during the summer and winter. I would start the car, turn on the heat or air conditioner and be overwhelmed by the most atrocious smell ever!! I figured it out eventually... a feral male cat had moved into my garage. He had sprayed on the windshield of my car, which then proceeded to run down into the ventilation system! UGH!! Awful!

I tried washing the car, soap and water or even washing it at a commercial car wash... NOTHING was working! Finally, I thought - if the urine ran down the windshield and dried there, I need to find something to pour down the windshield and allow it to rinse clean! I always had Parson's Sudsy Lemon Ammonia around because I knew it worked great in the house to eliminate pet urine smells and helped to keep the pet from urinating on the spot again.

I got my large jug of Parson's Sudsy Lemon Ammonia and poured it down the whole length of the windshield.... then waited about 2 or 3 minutes and rinsed it with lots of water! This made a huge difference, so I drove to town and purchased 3 additional large bottles of the same product. I poured one down the same way, waited about 20 minutes, then poured the second bottle, rinsed. I waited for it to dry completely and Viola!! NO MORE STENCH!! Yay!!

I highly recommend keeping Parson's Sudsy Lemon Ammonia on hand if you have pets, indoor or out it works very well to eliminate and neutralize pet accidents!! Oh, and I caught the feral cat and relocated him!! No more problems!

May 25, 2016 Flag

My husband and I have purchased a house that was condemned and are working on getting it back up in running condition. I am horribly allergic to mold and dust so, I cleaned the basement from top to bottom with ammonia to kill any mold that might be lurking under the surface. It worked but, now being an older basement its starting to smell of mold/mildew/damp (inevitable I guess), but I was wondering how long I need to wait before I can clean the floors with bleach? I'm very nervous about the 2 cleaning agents mixing, but I have to get the smell out (and what's causing the smell). It has been close to a year since the ammonia cleaning.

Never ever mix bleach with ammonia! It's lethal.

Ammonia is not good for killing mold. It can easily resurface in the same areas. Mold needs to be cleaned professionally if widespread. Also the source, and reason behind the mold needs to be found and addressed otherwise it happens again. Half masks, cotton mask, do not filter out spores. Some mold (stachy) is a serious respiratory concern. Other molds can actually infiltrate your lungs and incubate there. Consult a professional company for a free estimate and investigation. Mold damage is covered by HO insurance.

October 14, 2010 Flag

I used to be a housekeeper for an apartment complex years ago, and when we had to get rid of any type of hard to get out food or pet stains we would make a 2/3 milk 1/3 ammonia mixture. Use right away and dispose of the rest.

September 24, 2016 Flag

What type of ammonia can be used for stain removal on clothes?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 21, 2008 Flag

To clean an oven, fill a glass baking dish with ammonia and place in a cold oven overnight. The next morning, remove ammonia and wipe down sides with wet cloth. The fumes from the ammonia will have cut through the grease and come off with ease.

February 28, 2011 Flag

Please can anyone tell me if I can use ammonia in my dishwater to wash my dishes and if so how much do I use?

By Anita from Saskatoon, SK

I've tried it when out of dishwasher detergent, and it worked.

Because you're out of dishwasher detergent. I tried ammonia as a substitute and it worked. Just poured a half cup or so into the bottom of the dishwasher.

August 27, 2005 Flag

Ammonia is wonderful for cleaning and cutting grease and is very inexpensive to use. Mix half and half with water in a spray bottle, spray, then watch the ammonia do the work, it's amazing how well it cuts grease so quickly.

March 4, 2015 Flag

I have grey floor tiles in the kitchen and bathroom. They are looking dull. Is ammonia good to clean floor tiles?

By Del

What kind of material are we talking about? ceramic, vinyl, or ?

Is there grout? If vinyl, just soap and water. If ceramic, also just a little laundry soap and water. Use old towel to wipe up dampness. Let dry and see how it looks. If grout is greying, scrub with a brush and a bit of baking soda, wipe with damp rag.

January 3, 2010 Flag

I recently read a tip about mixing ammonia and something else, maybe vinegar, in a spray bottle to touch up soiled areas on the kitchen floor without doing the entire floor. I can't recall what the other ingredient was nor what the mixing proportions are. Does anyone know? Thanks.

By Cindyh from IN

I think the other ingredient is Dawn blue dish soap.

I use really hot water and lemon juice with lemon scented ammonia. Also, I have had no issues with discoloration. My carpet it a dark tan/ light brownish color. I use approx half cup lemon ammonia, 2-4 teaspoons of lemon juice and the rest hot water.

Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceJanuary 3, 2013
A white bottle of household ammonia.
Cleaning Up Spilled Household Ammonia
Spirits of Ammonia and Coke
Spirits of Ammonia and Coke
Household Cleaners
Dangers of Mixing Household Cleaners
Washing Dishes With Ammonia
Washing Dishes With Ammonia
🎄