Cleaning With Ammonia

Cleaning Toilet With Ammonia
Ammonia is a common cleaning agent found in many cleaners you buy at the store. It can also be purchased as a stand alone cleaner. This is a guide about cleaning with ammonia.

This is a guide about washing dishes with ammonia. Ammonia is simple but effective cleaner that can be a good addition to your dishwashing routine.

Washing Dishes With Ammonia

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

Placing dirty oven racks in a plastic trash bag with some household ammonia is an effective method for cleaning them. This is a guide about using ammonia for cleaning oven racks.

A rubber gloved hand cleaning oven racks with a pink sponge.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Ammonia is a common cleaning product that can be purchased in many stores. This is a guide about buying household ammonia.

A woman shopping for cleaning supplies.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Ammonia is useful in cleaning the burned on food and grease off of your oven walls and racks. This is a guide about using ammonia as an oven cleaner.

A person wearing rubber gloves, cleaning an oven.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Tips

Share a TipCheck out these tips or, if you have something to add to this guide, click to share your own tip!

I'd tried everything, including tips from this site and was about to give up and tear out the carpet where my 1 year old silver tabby had sprayed AND peed in the corner of my closet, on my brand new carpet. I thought I'd give it one more shot and poured nearly half a bottle of sudsy ammonia in that entire half of the closet! AND IT WORKED!

No more gagging smell, nothing! And best of all, Sparky has decided that he is done with spraying and peeing inside the house, and he will not even enter that closet at all now!

I placed a table fan blowing on the carpet to dry it and since it is commercial grade, rubber-backed carpet, the whole process took less than a day. I was quite fortunate to not have to go more drastic and replace the carpet squares, and the cat!

SUDSY AMMONIA saved the day for us! Hope this works for someone else, too.

By Terry from Homer, AK

One quart rubbing alcohol, one teaspoon dish washing liquid, 21 oz .409 and one cup sudsy ammonia. Pour ingredients into a one gallon container that is empty (do not use an empty bleach container). Shake up ingredients and add water to make a full gallon of cleaning solution. Pour liquid into the empty 409 bottle. This will last at least a few months.

Tip: Never use bleach in combination with this formula.

By Birthaleen from Burbank, CA

In Praise of Ammonia: Ammonia is wonderful for cleaning and cutting grease and is very inexpensive to use. Mix half and half with water in a spray bottle, spray, then watch the ammonia do the work, it's amazing how well it cuts grease so quickly. I haven't found anything yet that it doesn't work on, just DON'T mix ammonia with bleach, EVER!

You can also put it in a glass bowl in your oven over night and just wipe clean within 24 hours. (Really messy ovens may take longer.)

By Bea

Editor's Note: Ammonia is the active ingredient in many bottled cleaners. Make sure you use it with ventilation. It is great for removing old wax from linoleum floors, too.

Putting a bowl of straight ammonia in a corner of a room will clear the room of any bad odors, and you don't smell the ammonia.

To clean the toilet, I use ammonia. I use a brush to get it all over the toilet bowl. Then I let it stay there for a few hours, or overnight.

By Kathleen from Dothan, AL

Can I use an ammonia solution to clean my hardwood floors?

By Paul from Syracuse, NY

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Answers

My ceramic tile is spotted from the sealer wearing off in spots. Can I clean with amonia and let it take the rest of sealer off without hurting the floors?

Please can anyone tell me if I can use ammonia in my dishwater to wash my dishes and if so how much do I use?

By Anita from Saskatoon, SK

Answers

I don't know about ammonia, but try this trick for super clean dishes. Use your regular dish washing detergent and add about 1/4 to 1/2 cup vinegar to each load. In Canada all phosphates have been removed from detergents and I found that the dishes always came out streaked and had buildup. Now with the added vinegar, never an issue.

Not to be rude or offensive.... But why would you wanna wash your dishes in ammonia in the first place?

Ammonia does not mix with all things, and I would be careful. For sure, NOT in the dishwasher. Any residue of commercial dishwasher det. would set off an unhealthy HAZMAT reaction.

Anonymous

I met a woman about 20 yrs ago who used this when she washed her dishes so I was curious. Thank you for your replies.

I've tried it when out of dishwasher detergent, and it worked.

Because you're out of dishwasher detergent. I tried ammonia as a substitute and it worked. Just poured a half cup or so into the bottom of the dishwasher.

"Restaurants ,,, use an ammonia/water mixture with nothing else in it."

That statement is not true. That would be a violation of health codes. Restaurants are governed by health and safety regulations that include proper cleaning and sanitation procedures. Dishes are required to be washed in proper detergent and also subjected to heat. Surfaces and equipment are disinfected with specialty commercial cleansers and dilute chlorinated liquids. Ammonia is an ingredient found in many cleaning supplies, but it certainly is not used in restaurants as a substitution for dish liquid and proper sanitation.

My husband and I have purchased a house that was condemned and are working on getting it back up in running condition. I am horribly allergic to mold and dust so, I cleaned the basement from top to bottom with ammonia to kill any mold that might be lurking under the surface. It worked but, now being an older basement its starting to smell of mold/mildew/damp (inevitable I guess), but I was wondering how long I need to wait before I can clean the floors with bleach? I'm very nervous about the 2 cleaning agents mixing, but I have to get the smell out (and what's causing the smell). It has been close to a year since the ammonia cleaning.

Answers

The warning about not mixing bleach and ammonia essentially refers to not mixing the two together at one time. If a year has passed since cleaning with ammonia, you should not have a problem using bleach now.

Never ever mix bleach with ammonia! It's lethal.

Ammonia is not good for killing mold. It can easily resurface in the same areas. Mold needs to be cleaned professionally if widespread. Also the source, and reason behind the mold needs to be found and addressed otherwise it happens again. Half masks, cotton mask, do not filter out spores. Some mold (stachy) is a serious respiratory concern. Other molds can actually infiltrate your lungs and incubate there. Consult a professional company for a free estimate and investigation. Mold damage is covered by HO insurance.

Try running a dehumidifier.

I recently read a tip about mixing ammonia and something else, maybe vinegar, in a spray bottle to touch up soiled areas on the kitchen floor without doing the entire floor. I can't recall what the other ingredient was nor what the mixing proportions are. Does anyone know? Thanks.

By Cindyh from IN

I use water with ammonia, it works, good luck.

I wouldn't mix anything with it except water as kffrmw88 says.

I think the other ingredient is Dawn blue dish soap.

I use really hot water and lemon juice with lemon scented ammonia. Also, I have had no issues with discoloration. My carpet it a dark tan/ light brownish color. I use approx half cup lemon ammonia, 2-4 teaspoons of lemon juice and the rest hot water.

I'm concerned about an article I read that stated you should never use ammonia on carpet, except for the stains. They claim that it will discolor the carpet, weaken fibers, and attract future dirt.

Is there any foundation to this claim?

Can I use ammonia in a steam cleaner that gets very hot, with no water added?

By Maryann

Answers

You can use ammonia on your carpet without it changing the color of your carpet. I use it all the time and it actually makes my carpet soft. Also it does not leave behind an odor. But if you cannot stand the smell during the cleaning, mix it with a more pleasant smelling cleaner. I mix my mop water, cleaning solution etc, with Mr. Clean original Gain scent. It helps out so much.

But I definitely would not recommend using it undiluted in a steam cleaner - definitely mix with water.

What type of ammonia can be used for stain removal on clothes?

I have grey floor tiles in the kitchen and bathroom. They are looking dull. Is ammonia good to clean floor tiles?

By Del

What kind of material are we talking about? ceramic, vinyl, or ?

Is there grout? If vinyl, just soap and water. If ceramic, also just a little laundry soap and water. Use old towel to wipe up dampness. Let dry and see how it looks. If grout is greying, scrub with a brush and a bit of baking soda, wipe with damp rag.

I would like to mix ammonia and water for general cleaning in the kitchen, such as table, counter tops, and stove top. What ratio should I use for this mixture?

By Allison H.

Will household ammonia kill mould on anything?

By Dave C

I am trying to get information on the occupational exposure limit to the usage of the ammonia agent in a hospital setting. I am concerned at the rate of sub-standard products used in my institution and in turn these affect our staff adversely. There is a 'pine gel solution used with unspecified level of ammonia in it. Most staff are complaining about its health effects on them especially those with asthma and other chest ailments.

By Tebogo C.