Browsing: Cleaning With Ammonia

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Cleaning With Ammonia

Ammonia is a common cleaning agent found in many cleaners you buy at the store. It can also be purchased as a stand alone cleaner. This is a guide about cleaning with ammonia.

Cleaning Toilet With Ammonia
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

May 7, 2016 Flag

I've read the good advice on how to clean an electric oven. Seems like one cannot buy ammonia on the internet, unless one is a school, or a business. I remember my mother, in the old days, she always had ammonia at the house. Do you have any advice on how I can get ammonia for household use?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Walmart sells ammonia for cleaning so do price chopper

Walmart and Food Lion both sell Amonia for cleaning. Walmart carries clear Amonia as well as sudsy Amonia. But be sure to read the label on the sudsy Amonia first as it will be very sudsy and you do t want to use too much or you will be rinsing it off for quite awhile! Also Walmart has had lemon scented Amonia too.

:)

Read More Answers...

May 25, 2016 Flag

My husband and I have purchased a house that was condemned and are working on getting it back up in running condition. I am horribly allergic to mold and dust so, I cleaned the basement from top to bottom with ammonia to kill any mold that might be lurking under the surface. It worked but, now being an older basement its starting to smell of mold/mildew/damp (inevitable I guess), but I was wondering how long I need to wait before I can clean the floors with bleach? I'm very nervous about the 2 cleaning agents mixing, but I have to get the smell out (and what's causing the smell). It has been close to a year since the ammonia cleaning.

The warning about not mixing bleach and ammonia essentially refers to not mixing the two together at one time. If a year has passed since cleaning with ammonia, you should not have a problem using bleach now.

Never ever mix bleach with ammonia! It's lethal.

April 21, 2010 Flag

Keep carpet cleaning simple. I have a small steam vacuum. I have always had trouble rinsing out soap residue on carpet areas even when using very little soap in the cleaner. Recently I tried adding a little ammonia to the water instead of soap. I found that it did a terrific job cleaning, produced no ammonia odor, dried very quickly, and required no rinsing. All of which made my job much easier. I would highly recommend this procedure.

By Marie from West Dundee, IL

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 22, 2006 Flag

I'd tried everything, including tips from this site and was about to give up and tear out the carpet where my 1 year old silver tabby had sprayed AND peed in the corner of my closet, on my brand new carpet. I thought I'd give it one more shot and poured nearly half a bottle of sudsy ammonia in that entire half of the closet! AND IT WORKED!

No more gagging smell, nothing! And best of all, Sparky has decided that he is done with spraying and peeing inside the house, and he will not even enter that closet at all now!

I placed a table fan blowing on the carpet to dry it and since it is commercial grade, rubber-backed carpet, the whole process took less than a day. I was quite fortunate to not have to go more drastic and replace the carpet squares, and the cat!

SUDSY AMMONIA saved the day for us! Hope this works for someone else, too.

By Terry from Homer, AK

October 14, 2010 Flag

I used to be a housekeeper for an apartment complex years ago, and when we had to get rid of any type of hard to get out food or pet stains we would make a 2/3 milk 1/3 ammonia mixture. Use right away and dispose of the rest. Pour it on the stain, let it soak in for about 30 seconds, wear rubber gloves, and the stains will come out! Remember to have a fan blowing or a ceiling fan speed on high. This will help with the little bit of ammonia fumes that may give you a headache or cause your eyes to water a little bit. And it will, it's ammonia!

By Tisha41 from Pearland, Texas

February 28, 2011 Flag

Please can anyone tell me if I can use ammonia in my dishwater to wash my dishes and if so how much do I use?

By Anita from Saskatoon, SK

I've tried it when out of dishwasher detergent, and it worked.

Because you're out of dishwasher detergent. I tried ammonia as a substitute and it worked. Just poured a half cup or so into the bottom of the dishwasher.

Read More Answers...

March 4, 2015 Flag

I have grey floor tiles in the kitchen and bathroom. They are looking dull. Is ammonia good to clean floor tiles?

By Del

What kind of material are we talking about? ceramic, vinyl, or ?

Is there grout? If vinyl, just soap and water. If ceramic, also just a little laundry soap and water. Use old towel to wipe up dampness. Let dry and see how it looks. If grout is greying, scrub with a brush and a bit of baking soda, wipe with damp rag.

January 3, 2010 Flag

I recently read a tip about mixing ammonia and something else, maybe vinegar, in a spray bottle to touch up soiled areas on the kitchen floor without doing the entire floor. I can't recall what the other ingredient was nor what the mixing proportions are. Does anyone know? Thanks.

By Cindyh from IN

I use really hot water and lemon juice with lemon scented ammonia. Also, I have had no issues with discoloration. My carpet it a dark tan/ light brownish color. I use approx half cup lemon ammonia, 2-4 teaspoons of lemon juice and the rest hot water.

I'm concerned about an article I read that stated you should never use ammonia on carpet, except for the stains. They claim that it will discolor the carpet, weaken fibers, and attract future dirt.

Is there any foundation to this claim?

Read More Answers...

July 27, 2013 Flag

Can I use ammonia in a steam cleaner that gets very hot, with no water added?

By Maryann

You can use ammonia on your carpet without it changing the color of your carpet. I use it all the time and it actually makes my carpet soft. Also it does not leave behind an odor. But if you cannot stand the smell during the cleaning, mix it with a more pleasant smelling cleaner. I mix my mop water, cleaning solution etc, with Mr. Clean original Gain scent. It helps out so much.

But I definitely would not recommend using it undiluted in a steam cleaner - definitely mix with water.

September 27, 2014 Flag

Can you mix ammonia and water as a solution to clean outside vinyl siding? If so, what mixture?

By Bob

Use vinegar and dawn.

April 7, 2014 Flag

Will ammonia get hair dye out of clothes?

By Barbara

Does ammonia work on removing any kind of dye?

April 21, 2008 Flag

To clean an oven, fill a glass baking dish with ammonia and place in a cold oven overnight. The next morning, remove ammonia and wipe down sides with wet cloth. The fumes from the ammonia will have cut through the grease and come off with ease.

January 27, 2010 Flag

I would like to buy some sudsing ammonia. Do you know where it is being sold?

By Katye from CA

Have you tried the Dollar store, Walmart & Kmart? They should have it, good luck.

99 cent store. They have plenty.

August 27, 2005 Flag

Ammonia is wonderful for cleaning and cutting grease and is very inexpensive to use. Mix half and half with water in a spray bottle, spray, then watch the ammonia do the work, it's amazing how well it cuts grease so quickly.

May 6, 2014 Flag

Putting a bowl of straight ammonia in a corner of a room will clear the room of any bad odors, and you don't smell the ammonia.

February 2, 2009 Flag

To clean the toilet, I use ammonia. I use a brush to get it all over the toilet bowl. Then I let it stay there for a few hours, or overnight.

October 7, 2010 Flag

I recently used 1/2 cup ammonia and 1/2 cup water mixed to clean up my dog's red vomit. I heard of it through a friend that had used it before.

Load More
      Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceJanuary 3, 2013
      A white bottle of household ammonia.
      Cleaning Up Spilled Household Ammonia
      Spirits of Ammonia and Coke
      Spirits of Ammonia and Coke
      Household Cleaners
      Dangers of Mixing Household Cleaners
      Washing Dishes With Ammonia
      Washing Dishes With Ammonia
      © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 23, 2016 at 8:03:04 AM on 10.0.0.107 in 944 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.