Cleaning With Ammonia

Ammonia is a common cleaning agent found in many cleaners you buy at the store. It can also be purchased as a stand alone cleaner. This is a guide about cleaning with ammonia.

April 21, 2010 Flag

Keep carpet cleaning simple. I have a small steam vacuum. I have always had trouble rinsing out soap residue on carpet areas even when using very little soap in the cleaner. Recently I tried adding a little ammonia to the water instead of soap. I found that it did a terrific job cleaning, produced no ammonia odor, dried very quickly, and required no rinsing. All of which made my job much easier. I would highly recommend this procedure.

By Marie from West Dundee, IL

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 6 Comments

August 22, 2006 Flag

I'd tried everything, including tips from this site and was about to give up and tear out the carpet where my 1 year old silver tabby had sprayed AND peed in the corner of my closet, on my brand new carpet. I thought I'd give it one more shot and poured nearly half a bottle of sudsy ammonia in that entire half of the closet! AND IT WORKED!

No more gagging smell, nothing! And best of all, Sparky has decided that he is done with spraying and peeing inside the house, and he will not even enter that closet at all now!

I placed a table fan blowing on the carpet to dry it and since it is commercial grade, rubber-backed carpet, the whole process took less than a day. I was quite fortunate to not have to go more drastic and replace the carpet squares, and the cat!

SUDSY AMMONIA saved the day for us! Hope this works for someone else, too.

By Terry from Homer, AK

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 7 Comments

October 14, 2010 Flag

I used to be a housekeeper for an apartment complex years ago, and when we had to get rid of any type of hard to get out food or pet stains we would make a 2/3 milk 1/3 ammonia mixture. Use right away and dispose of the rest. Pour it on the stain, let it soak in for about 30 seconds, wear rubber gloves, and the stains will come out! Remember to have a fan blowing or a ceiling fan speed on high. This will help with the little bit of ammonia fumes that may give you a headache or cause your eyes to water a little bit. And it will, it's ammonia!

By Tisha41 from Pearland, Texas

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 2 Comments

April 21, 2008 Flag

To clean an oven, fill a glass baking dish with ammonia and place in a cold oven overnight. The next morning, remove ammonia and wipe down sides with wet cloth. The fumes from the ammonia will have cut through the grease and come off with ease.

Source: My husband's Grandmother.

By Debbie from Hampton, Tennessee

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 3 Comments

August 27, 2005 Flag

Ammonia is wonderful for cleaning and cutting grease and is very inexpensive to use. Mix half and half with water in a spray bottle, spray, then watch the ammonia do the work, it's amazing how well it cuts grease so quickly.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 6, 2014 Flag

Putting a bowl of straight ammonia in a corner of a room will clear the room of any bad odors, and you don't smell the ammonia.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 2, 2009 Flag

To clean the toilet, I use ammonia. I use a brush to get it all over the toilet bowl. Then I let it stay there for a few hours, or overnight.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 7, 2016 Flag

I've read the good advice on how to clean an electric oven. Seems like one cannot buy ammonia on the internet, unless one is a school, or a business. I remember my mother, in the old days, she always had ammonia at the house. Do you have any advice on how I can get ammonia for household use?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

All Dollar Tree's stores have ammonia available $1.

its easy, you just do a flip

May 25, 2016 Flag

My husband and I have purchased a house that was condemned and are working on getting it back up in running condition. I am horribly allergic to mold and dust so, I cleaned the basement from top to bottom with ammonia to kill any mold that might be lurking under the surface. It worked but, now being an older basement its starting to smell of mold/mildew/damp (inevitable I guess), but I was wondering how long I need to wait before I can clean the floors with bleach? I'm very nervous about the 2 cleaning agents mixing, but I have to get the smell out (and what's causing the smell). It has been close to a year since the ammonia cleaning.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Never ever mix bleach with ammonia! It's lethal.

Ammonia is not good for killing mold. It can easily resurface in the same areas. Mold needs to be cleaned professionally if widespread. Also the source, and reason behind the mold needs to be found and addressed otherwise it happens again. Half masks, cotton mask, do not filter out spores. Some mold (stachy) is a serious respiratory concern. Other molds can actually infiltrate your lungs and incubate there. Consult a professional company for a free estimate and investigation. Mold damage is covered by HO insurance.

September 24, 2016 Flag

What type of ammonia can be used for stain removal on clothes?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 28, 2011 Flag

Please can anyone tell me if I can use ammonia in my dishwater to wash my dishes and if so how much do I use?

By Anita from Saskatoon, SK

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I've tried it when out of dishwasher detergent, and it worked.

Because you're out of dishwasher detergent. I tried ammonia as a substitute and it worked. Just poured a half cup or so into the bottom of the dishwasher.

March 4, 2015 Flag

I have grey floor tiles in the kitchen and bathroom. They are looking dull. Is ammonia good to clean floor tiles?

By Del

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What kind of material are we talking about? ceramic, vinyl, or ?

Is there grout? If vinyl, just soap and water. If ceramic, also just a little laundry soap and water. Use old towel to wipe up dampness. Let dry and see how it looks. If grout is greying, scrub with a brush and a bit of baking soda, wipe with damp rag.

January 3, 2010 Flag

I recently read a tip about mixing ammonia and something else, maybe vinegar, in a spray bottle to touch up soiled areas on the kitchen floor without doing the entire floor. I can't recall what the other ingredient was nor what the mixing proportions are. Does anyone know? Thanks.

By Cindyh from IN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I think the other ingredient is Dawn blue dish soap.

I use really hot water and lemon juice with lemon scented ammonia. Also, I have had no issues with discoloration. My carpet it a dark tan/ light brownish color. I use approx half cup lemon ammonia, 2-4 teaspoons of lemon juice and the rest hot water.

July 27, 2013 Flag

Can I use ammonia in a steam cleaner that gets very hot, with no water added?

By Maryann

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can use ammonia on your carpet without it changing the color of your carpet. I use it all the time and it actually makes my carpet soft. Also it does not leave behind an odor. But if you cannot stand the smell during the cleaning, mix it with a more pleasant smelling cleaner. I mix my mop water, cleaning solution etc, with Mr. Clean original Gain scent. It helps out so much.

But I definitely would not recommend using it undiluted in a steam cleaner - definitely mix with water.

September 27, 2014 Flag

Can you mix ammonia and water as a solution to clean outside vinyl siding? If so, what mixture?

By Bob

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Use vinegar and dawn.

April 22, 2015 Flag

Can I use an ammonia solution to clean my hardwood floors?

By Paul from Syracuse, NY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 7, 2014 Flag

Will ammonia get hair dye out of clothes?

By Barbara

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Does ammonia work on removing any kind of dye?

March 5, 2015 Flag

I have white cabinets in my kitchen that need cleaning. Can I clean my wood cabinets in the kitchen with ammonia mixed with water using a micro cloth and then drying them immediately?

By Janice F.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 27, 2010 Flag

I would like to buy some sudsing ammonia. Do you know where it is being sold?

By Katye from CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Have you tried the Dollar store, Walmart & Kmart? They should have it, good luck.

99 cent store. They have plenty.

February 28, 2015 Flag

I would like to mix ammonia and water for general cleaning in the kitchen, such as table, counter tops, and stove top. What ratio should I use for this mixture?

By Allison H.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 21, 2015 Flag

Will household ammonia kill mould on anything?

By Dave C

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 19, 2014 Flag

I have a dark carpet and want to use ammonia to clean it. Wll this discolor my carpet?

By Mary

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 6, 2014 Flag

Can you use sudsy ammonia to clean a wool carpet?

By Shirley

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 11, 2014 Flag

I am trying to get information on the occupational exposure limit to the usage of the ammonia agent in a hospital setting. I am concerned at the rate of sub-standard products used in my institution and in turn these affect our staff adversely. There is a 'pine gel solution used with unspecified level of ammonia in it. Most staff are complaining about its health effects on them especially those with asthma and other chest ailments.

By Tebogo C.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 13, 2009 Flag

My carpet is really dirty. It is supposed to be cream colored, but it is more like brownish-cream. I have a home carpet cleaner and have used it, but my carpet still looks dirty. I want to try an ammonia solution, but I am not sure? I need some more suggestions to clean the whole carpet.

Kapas from ID

Answers:

Using Ammonia to Clean Stains from Carpet

No, if I were you that is the wrong thing to use. It will leave a urine smell unless you get it all out. Here is a good thought. Sears, etc. has really good specials this time of year. No, I am not an employee. They will do several rooms for around $75.00 or less and they have a great water extractor system.

It would be a good idea to have a pro do it and then ask them for their advice on home touch-up in between their visits. You might not ever need them after that. Good luck. (12/13/2007)

By MaryBelle

Ammonia may also change the color of your carpet. I wouldn't use it if I were you. Purchase a product that is especially made for carpets. You should be able to get this at any hardware store, but if not, try a place that rents out carpet cleaners. They should sell you the product that they use in their machines. (12/13/2007)

By louel53

I found this tip on another site and thought it would be worth trying as vinegar is good for so many things. Bring out the color in carpet by brushing it with a solution of 1 cup white distilled vinegar for every gallon of water. Always test on an inconspicuous (out-of-sight) part of the carpet beforehand. (12/16/2007)

By carnation037

Using ammonia to clean stains is a last resort, but I do have a formula it is 2 steps: 1 tbsp. ammonia to 1/2 cup water, 1 tsp. colorless dish washing liquid to 1 cup lukewarm water. You will smell the ammonia so I would add a step and use Fabreeze with hot water.

I have found that using 1/2 white vinegar and 1/2 hot water takes out most stains plus the vinegar smell goes away when dried. For shampooers use: 1 scoop Oxiclean, 1 cup Fabreeze, 1 cup vinegar and the recommended hot water. Will do a great job. (02/08/2008)

By Trish

Any kind of shaving cream. I use the cheap stuff to clean my carpets and also my running shoes. Try it in an inconspicuous spot first to make sure it wont effect the color of the carpet. (08/27/2008)

By Michele

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 1 Comment
Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceJanuary 3, 2013
A white bottle of household ammonia.
Cleaning Up Spilled Household Ammonia
Spirits of Ammonia and Coke
Spirits of Ammonia and Coke
Household Cleaners
Dangers of Mixing Household Cleaners
Washing Dishes With Ammonia
Washing Dishes With Ammonia
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 2:31:40 PM on 10.0.2.225 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.