Browsing: Cleaning With Ammonia

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Cleaning With Ammonia

Ammonia is a common cleaning agent found in many cleaners you buy at the store. It can also be purchased as a stand alone cleaner. This is a guide about cleaning with ammonia.

Cleaning Toilet With Ammonia
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

May 7, 2016 Flag

I've read the good advice on how to clean an electric oven. Seems like one cannot buy ammonia on the internet, unless one is a school, or a business. I remember my mother, in the old days, she always had ammonia at the house. Do you have any advice on how I can get ammonia for household use?

Can I used Ammonia to clean my tube

Have people gotten so used to shopping online that they've forgotten how to shop in stores? Ammonia and other cleaning supplies, detergents, and soaps are easily found in supermarkets, grocery stores, hardware stores, and "big box" retailers such as Target, Kmart, Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, etc. Ask a clerk for assistance if you're not sure which departments to try.

April 21, 2010 Flag

Keep carpet cleaning simple. I have a small steam vacuum. I have always had trouble rinsing out soap residue on carpet areas even when using very little soap in the cleaner. Recently I tried adding a little ammonia to the water instead of soap. I found that it did a terrific job cleaning, produced no ammonia odor, dried very quickly, and required no rinsing. All of which made my job much easier. I would highly recommend this procedure.

By Marie from West Dundee, IL

September 24, 2016 Flag

What type of ammonia can be used for stain removal on clothes?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 22, 2006 Flag

I'd tried everything, including tips from this site and was about to give up and tear out the carpet where my 1 year old silver tabby had sprayed AND peed in the corner of my closet, on my brand new carpet. I thought I'd give it one more shot and poured nearly half a bottle of sudsy ammonia in that entire half of the closet! AND IT WORKED!

No more gagging smell, nothing! And best of all, Sparky has decided that he is done with spraying and peeing inside the house, and he will not even enter that closet at all now!

I placed a table fan blowing on the carpet to dry it and since it is commercial grade, rubber-backed carpet, the whole process took less than a day. I was quite fortunate to not have to go more drastic and replace the carpet squares, and the cat!

SUDSY AMMONIA saved the day for us! Hope this works for someone else, too.

By Terry from Homer, AK

May 25, 2016 Flag

My husband and I have purchased a house that was condemned and are working on getting it back up in running condition. I am horribly allergic to mold and dust so, I cleaned the basement from top to bottom with ammonia to kill any mold that might be lurking under the surface. It worked but, now being an older basement its starting to smell of mold/mildew/damp (inevitable I guess), but I was wondering how long I need to wait before I can clean the floors with bleach? I'm very nervous about the 2 cleaning agents mixing, but I have to get the smell out (and what's causing the smell). It has been close to a year since the ammonia cleaning.

The warning about not mixing bleach and ammonia essentially refers to not mixing the two together at one time. If a year has passed since cleaning with ammonia, you should not have a problem using bleach now.

Never ever mix bleach with ammonia! It's lethal.

October 14, 2010 Flag

I used to be a housekeeper for an apartment complex years ago, and when we had to get rid of any type of hard to get out food or pet stains we would make a 2/3 milk 1/3 ammonia mixture. Use right away and dispose of the rest.

April 21, 2008 Flag

To clean an oven, fill a glass baking dish with ammonia and place in a cold oven overnight. The next morning, remove ammonia and wipe down sides with wet cloth. The fumes from the ammonia will have cut through the grease and come off with ease.

February 28, 2011 Flag

Please can anyone tell me if I can use ammonia in my dishwater to wash my dishes and if so how much do I use?

By Anita from Saskatoon, SK

I've tried it when out of dishwasher detergent, and it worked.

Because you're out of dishwasher detergent. I tried ammonia as a substitute and it worked. Just poured a half cup or so into the bottom of the dishwasher.

March 4, 2015 Flag

I have grey floor tiles in the kitchen and bathroom. They are looking dull. Is ammonia good to clean floor tiles?

By Del

What kind of material are we talking about? ceramic, vinyl, or ?

Is there grout? If vinyl, just soap and water. If ceramic, also just a little laundry soap and water. Use old towel to wipe up dampness. Let dry and see how it looks. If grout is greying, scrub with a brush and a bit of baking soda, wipe with damp rag.

August 27, 2005 Flag

Ammonia is wonderful for cleaning and cutting grease and is very inexpensive to use. Mix half and half with water in a spray bottle, spray, then watch the ammonia do the work, it's amazing how well it cuts grease so quickly.

Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceJanuary 3, 2013
A white bottle of household ammonia.
Cleaning Up Spilled Household Ammonia
Spirits of Ammonia and Coke
Spirits of Ammonia and Coke
Household Cleaners
Dangers of Mixing Household Cleaners
Washing Dishes With Ammonia
Washing Dishes With Ammonia
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 29, 2016 at 8:08:10 PM on 10.0.1.127 in 6 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.