Cleaning With Ammonia

Ammonia is a common cleaning agent found in many cleaners you buy at the store. It can also be purchased as a stand alone cleaner. This is a guide about cleaning with ammonia.

A rubber gloved hand cleaning oven racks with a pink sponge.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Placing dirty oven racks in a plastic trash bag with some household ammonia is an effective method for cleaning them. This is a guide about using ammonia for cleaning oven racks.

A woman shopping for cleaning supplies.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Ammonia is a common cleaning product that can be purchased in many stores. This is a guide about buying household ammonia.

A person wearing rubber gloves, cleaning an oven.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Ammonia is useful in cleaning the burned on food and grease off of your oven walls and racks. This is a guide about using ammonia as an oven cleaner.

Washing Dishes With Ammonia

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 1

This is a guide about washing dishes with ammonia. Ammonia is simple but effective cleaner that can be a good addition to your dishwashing routine.

Tips

Share a TipCheck out these tips or, if you have something to add to this guide, click to share your own tip!

I'd tried everything, including tips from this site and was about to give up and tear out the carpet where my 1 year old silver tabby had sprayed AND peed in the corner of my closet, on my brand new carpet. I thought I'd give it one more shot and poured nearly half a bottle of sudsy ammonia in that entire half of the closet! AND IT WORKED!

No more gagging smell, nothing! And best of all, Sparky has decided that he is done with spraying and peeing inside the house, and he will not even enter that closet at all now!

I placed a table fan blowing on the carpet to dry it and since it is commercial grade, rubber-backed carpet, the whole process took less than a day. I was quite fortunate to not have to go more drastic and replace the carpet squares, and the cat!

SUDSY AMMONIA saved the day for us! Hope this works for someone else, too.

By Terry from Homer, AK

Do I have to pour a half a bottle on the spot

Putting a bowl of straight ammonia in a corner of a room will clear the room of any bad odors, and you don't smell the ammonia.

Anonymous

I thought straight ammonia is very dangerous to breath

One quart rubbing alcohol, one teaspoon dish washing liquid, 21 oz .409 and one cup sudsy ammonia. Pour ingredients into a one gallon container that is empty (do not use an empty bleach container). Shake up ingredients and add water to make a full gallon of cleaning solution. Pour liquid into the empty 409 bottle. This will last at least a few months.

Tip: Never use bleach in combination with this formula.

By Birthaleen from Burbank, CA

Hello to Barbara and all. This is not quite the recipe, as 401 cleaner was not part. I found a recipe for sudsy ammonia. Please see below, but all the ingredients were non-commercial. Thanks.

Homemade sudsy or "soapy" ammonia

Locate pure ammonia solution.

Use rubber gloves - ammonia can burn skin.

Be sure to make your mixture in a well ventilated area and do NOT lean over the bottles while you are pouring.

Organize this task so that you will be pouring over a sink just in case there is any dripping.

Use an clean empty plastic bottle (about 12 ounces). Old spray cleaner bottles are great, for example, Windex. Be sure any old product is completely gone.

With a steady hand, pour about a third of a cup of ammonia into the bottle.

Add a 1 - 2 teaspoonful of dish washing liquid.

The instructions then go on to say:

Fill the remainder of the bottle with water.

*I also didn't remember cutting the mixture with water. I thought it was just ammonia, dish washing liquid and rubbing alcohol but I'm just not sure.

Thanks again...migaluchi

Ammonia is wonderful for cleaning and cutting grease and is very inexpensive to use. Mix half and half with water in a spray bottle, spray, then watch the ammonia do the work, it's amazing how well it cuts grease so quickly.

To clean the toilet, I use ammonia. I use a brush to get it all over the toilet bowl. Then I let it stay there for a few hours, or overnight.

My husband and I have purchased a house that was condemned and are working on getting it back up in running condition. I am horribly allergic to mold and dust so, I cleaned the basement from top to bottom with ammonia to kill any mold that might be lurking under the surface. It worked but, now being an older basement its starting to smell of mold/mildew/damp (inevitable I guess), but I was wondering how long I need to wait before I can clean the floors with bleach? I'm very nervous about the 2 cleaning agents mixing, but I have to get the smell out (and what's causing the smell). It has been close to a year since the ammonia cleaning.

Never ever mix bleach with ammonia! It's lethal.

Ammonia is not good for killing mold. It can easily resurface in the same areas. Mold needs to be cleaned professionally if widespread. Also the source, and reason behind the mold needs to be found and addressed otherwise it happens again. Half masks, cotton mask, do not filter out spores. Some mold (stachy) is a serious respiratory concern. Other molds can actually infiltrate your lungs and incubate there. Consult a professional company for a free estimate and investigation. Mold damage is covered by HO insurance.

Can I use an ammonia solution to clean my hardwood floors?

By Paul from Syracuse, NY

Answer Was this helpful? 1

My ceramic tile is spotted from the sealer wearing off in spots. Can I clean with amonia and let it take the rest of sealer off without hurting the floors?

This exactly what I am doing just this minute! It is the only think I could find that would remove the finish and go back to the original floor. Used a mixture of water and ammonia and worked like a charm.

What type of ammonia can be used for stain removal on clothes?

Be very careful cleaning with ammonia. It can burn the respiratory track very easily when inhaled, and cause permanent eye damage. Mixing bleach with ammonia is deadly. Very deadly. I have run a call in the ambulance on a woman who did this. She died as a result several weeks later.

Just use regular ammonia like they have in the cleaning aisle at the store. Only mix it with water, as other cleaners may contain chlorine or alcohol or vinegar and that is NOT good. Ammonia can also remove the color out of some clothing if used straight, so dilute it first. Rinse well after use.

You are much better off getting one of the stain sticks. They work very well.

Please can anyone tell me if I can use ammonia in my dishwater to wash my dishes and if so how much do I use?

By Anita from Saskatoon, SK

I've tried it when out of dishwasher detergent, and it worked.

Because you're out of dishwasher detergent. I tried ammonia as a substitute and it worked. Just poured a half cup or so into the bottom of the dishwasher.

I have grey floor tiles in the kitchen and bathroom. They are looking dull. Is ammonia good to clean floor tiles?

By Del

What kind of material are we talking about? ceramic, vinyl, or ?

Is there grout? If vinyl, just soap and water. If ceramic, also just a little laundry soap and water. Use old towel to wipe up dampness. Let dry and see how it looks. If grout is greying, scrub with a brush and a bit of baking soda, wipe with damp rag.

I recently read a tip about mixing ammonia and something else, maybe vinegar, in a spray bottle to touch up soiled areas on the kitchen floor without doing the entire floor. I can't recall what the other ingredient was nor what the mixing proportions are. Does anyone know? Thanks.

By Cindyh from IN

I think the other ingredient is Dawn blue dish soap.

I use really hot water and lemon juice with lemon scented ammonia. Also, I have had no issues with discoloration. My carpet it a dark tan/ light brownish color. I use approx half cup lemon ammonia, 2-4 teaspoons of lemon juice and the rest hot water.

Can I use ammonia in a steam cleaner that gets very hot, with no water added?

By Maryann

You can use ammonia on your carpet without it changing the color of your carpet. I use it all the time and it actually makes my carpet soft. Also it does not leave behind an odor. But if you cannot stand the smell during the cleaning, mix it with a more pleasant smelling cleaner. I mix my mop water, cleaning solution etc, with Mr. Clean original Gain scent. It helps out so much.

But I definitely would not recommend using it undiluted in a steam cleaner - definitely mix with water.

I would like to mix ammonia and water for general cleaning in the kitchen, such as table, counter tops, and stove top. What ratio should I use for this mixture?

By Allison H.

Will household ammonia kill mould on anything?

By Dave C

I am trying to get information on the occupational exposure limit to the usage of the ammonia agent in a hospital setting. I am concerned at the rate of sub-standard products used in my institution and in turn these affect our staff adversely. There is a 'pine gel solution used with unspecified level of ammonia in it. Most staff are complaining about its health effects on them especially those with asthma and other chest ailments.

By Tebogo C.