Cleaning With Ammonia

Ammonia is a common cleaning agent found in many cleaners you buy at the store. It can also be purchased as a stand alone cleaner. This is a guide about cleaning with ammonia.

January 31, 2017 Flag

A rubber gloved hand cleaning oven racks with a pink sponge.

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Placing dirty oven racks in a plastic trash bag with some household ammonia is an effective method for cleaning them. This is a guide about using ammonia for cleaning oven racks.

January 31, 2017 Flag

A woman shopping for cleaning supplies.

Ammonia is a common cleaning product that can be purchased in many stores. This is a guide about buying household ammonia.

January 30, 2017 Flag

A person wearing rubber gloves, cleaning an oven.

Ammonia is useful in cleaning the burned on food and grease off of your oven walls and racks. This is a guide about using ammonia as an oven cleaner.

August 22, 2006 Flag

I'd tried everything, including tips from this site and was about to give up and tear out the carpet where my 1 year old silver tabby had sprayed AND peed in the corner of my closet, on my brand new carpet. I thought I'd give it one more shot and poured nearly half a bottle of sudsy ammonia in that entire half of the closet! AND IT WORKED!

No more gagging smell, nothing! And best of all, Sparky has decided that he is done with spraying and peeing inside the house, and he will not even enter that closet at all now!

I placed a table fan blowing on the carpet to dry it and since it is commercial grade, rubber-backed carpet, the whole process took less than a day. I was quite fortunate to not have to go more drastic and replace the carpet squares, and the cat!

SUDSY AMMONIA saved the day for us! Hope this works for someone else, too.

By Terry from Homer, AK

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I was living on a country farm 10 miles from the nearest town and my car was parked in my garage during the summer and winter. I would start the car, turn on the heat or air conditioner and be overwhelmed by the most atrocious smell ever!! I figured it out eventually... a feral male cat had moved into my garage. He had sprayed on the windshield of my car, which then proceeded to run down into the ventilation system! UGH!! Awful!

I tried washing the car, soap and water or even washing it at a commercial car wash... NOTHING was working! Finally, I thought - if the urine ran down the windshield and dried there, I need to find something to pour down the windshield and allow it to rinse clean! I always had Parson's Sudsy Lemon Ammonia around because I knew it worked great in the house to eliminate pet urine smells and helped to keep the pet from urinating on the spot again.

I got my large jug of Parson's Sudsy Lemon Ammonia and poured it down the whole length of the windshield.... then waited about 2 or 3 minutes and rinsed it with lots of water! This made a huge difference, so I drove to town and purchased 3 additional large bottles of the same product. I poured one down the same way, waited about 20 minutes, then poured the second bottle, rinsed. I waited for it to dry completely and Viola!! NO MORE STENCH!! Yay!!

I highly recommend keeping Parson's Sudsy Lemon Ammonia on hand if you have pets, indoor or out it works very well to eliminate and neutralize pet accidents!! Oh, and I caught the feral cat and relocated him!! No more problems!

November 14, 2015 Flag

Washing Dishes With Ammonia

This is a guide about washing dishes with ammonia. Ammonia is simple but effective cleaner that can be a good addition to your dishwashing routine.

September 4, 2007 Flag

One quart rubbing alcohol, one teaspoon dish washing liquid, 21 oz 409 and one cup sudsy ammonia. Pour ingredients into a one gallon container that is empty (do not use an empty bleach container).

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 27, 2005 Flag

Ammonia is wonderful for cleaning and cutting grease and is very inexpensive to use. Mix half and half with water in a spray bottle, spray, then watch the ammonia do the work, it's amazing how well it cuts grease so quickly.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 6, 2014 Flag

Putting a bowl of straight ammonia in a corner of a room will clear the room of any bad odors, and you don't smell the ammonia.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 2, 2009 Flag

To clean the toilet, I use ammonia. I use a brush to get it all over the toilet bowl. Then I let it stay there for a few hours, or overnight.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 25, 2016 Flag

My husband and I have purchased a house that was condemned and are working on getting it back up in running condition. I am horribly allergic to mold and dust so, I cleaned the basement from top to bottom with ammonia to kill any mold that might be lurking under the surface. It worked but, now being an older basement its starting to smell of mold/mildew/damp (inevitable I guess), but I was wondering how long I need to wait before I can clean the floors with bleach? I'm very nervous about the 2 cleaning agents mixing, but I have to get the smell out (and what's causing the smell). It has been close to a year since the ammonia cleaning.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Never ever mix bleach with ammonia! It's lethal.

Ammonia is not good for killing mold. It can easily resurface in the same areas. Mold needs to be cleaned professionally if widespread. Also the source, and reason behind the mold needs to be found and addressed otherwise it happens again. Half masks, cotton mask, do not filter out spores. Some mold (stachy) is a serious respiratory concern. Other molds can actually infiltrate your lungs and incubate there. Consult a professional company for a free estimate and investigation. Mold damage is covered by HO insurance.

September 24, 2016 Flag

What type of ammonia can be used for stain removal on clothes?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Be very careful cleaning with ammonia. It can burn the respiratory track very easily when inhaled, and cause permanent eye damage. Mixing bleach with ammonia is deadly. Very deadly. I have run a call in the ambulance on a woman who did this. She died as a result several weeks later.

Just use regular ammonia like they have in the cleaning aisle at the store. Only mix it with water, as other cleaners may contain chlorine or alcohol or vinegar and that is NOT good. Ammonia can also remove the color out of some clothing if used straight, so dilute it first. Rinse well after use.

You are much better off getting one of the stain sticks. They work very well.

April 22, 2015 Flag

Can I use an ammonia solution to clean my hardwood floors?

By Paul from Syracuse, NY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My ceramic tile is spotted from the sealer wearing off in spots. Can I clean with amonia and let it take the rest of sealer off without hurting the floors?

February 28, 2011 Flag

Please can anyone tell me if I can use ammonia in my dishwater to wash my dishes and if so how much do I use?

By Anita from Saskatoon, SK

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I've tried it when out of dishwasher detergent, and it worked.

Because you're out of dishwasher detergent. I tried ammonia as a substitute and it worked. Just poured a half cup or so into the bottom of the dishwasher.

January 3, 2010 Flag

I recently read a tip about mixing ammonia and something else, maybe vinegar, in a spray bottle to touch up soiled areas on the kitchen floor without doing the entire floor. I can't recall what the other ingredient was nor what the mixing proportions are. Does anyone know? Thanks.

By Cindyh from IN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I think the other ingredient is Dawn blue dish soap.

I use really hot water and lemon juice with lemon scented ammonia. Also, I have had no issues with discoloration. My carpet it a dark tan/ light brownish color. I use approx half cup lemon ammonia, 2-4 teaspoons of lemon juice and the rest hot water.

March 4, 2015 Flag

I have grey floor tiles in the kitchen and bathroom. They are looking dull. Is ammonia good to clean floor tiles?

By Del

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What kind of material are we talking about? ceramic, vinyl, or ?

Is there grout? If vinyl, just soap and water. If ceramic, also just a little laundry soap and water. Use old towel to wipe up dampness. Let dry and see how it looks. If grout is greying, scrub with a brush and a bit of baking soda, wipe with damp rag.

July 27, 2013 Flag

Can I use ammonia in a steam cleaner that gets very hot, with no water added?

By Maryann

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can use ammonia on your carpet without it changing the color of your carpet. I use it all the time and it actually makes my carpet soft. Also it does not leave behind an odor. But if you cannot stand the smell during the cleaning, mix it with a more pleasant smelling cleaner. I mix my mop water, cleaning solution etc, with Mr. Clean original Gain scent. It helps out so much.

But I definitely would not recommend using it undiluted in a steam cleaner - definitely mix with water.

February 28, 2015 Flag

I would like to mix ammonia and water for general cleaning in the kitchen, such as table, counter tops, and stove top. What ratio should I use for this mixture?

By Allison H.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 21, 2015 Flag

Will household ammonia kill mould on anything?

By Dave C

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 11, 2014 Flag

I am trying to get information on the occupational exposure limit to the usage of the ammonia agent in a hospital setting. I am concerned at the rate of sub-standard products used in my institution and in turn these affect our staff adversely. There is a 'pine gel solution used with unspecified level of ammonia in it. Most staff are complaining about its health effects on them especially those with asthma and other chest ailments.

By Tebogo C.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceJanuary 3, 2013
Products
Cleaning With Ammonia
Using Ammonia for Cleaning Oven Racks
Using Ammonia as an Oven Cleaner
A woman shopping for cleaning supplies.
Buying Household Ammonia
Washing Dishes With Ammonia
Washing Dishes With Ammonia
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 24, 2017 at 2:30:43 AM on 10.0.0.241 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.