Cleaning Your Dog's Ears

Does anyone know of an effective, safe, and inexpensive ear cleaner that can be used for dog's and cat's ears to clean them? Someone told me to use white vinegar, but I'm afraid that would burn.

Brenda from Knoxville, TN

Answers:

Cleaning Your Dog's Ears

I use a cotton ball or swab dipped in peroxide. This works well on my dog's and cat's ears. (04/17/2006)

By St. Pete Ken

Cleaning Your Dog's Ears

My vet says the only thing you should use in your pets ears to clean them is plain old baby oil. Put a few drops in the ear and squeeze his ear to mush it around. Then clean with a Q-tip. (04/18/2006)

By kimmcg

Cleaning Your Dog's Ears

I agree about the oil, but I also use a cooking oil, such as olive, corn, vegetable, etc. Oil smothers the ear mites and helps loosen the gunk the mites leave behind. (04/18/2006)

By AzDana

Cleaning Your Dog's Ears

I agree with the peroxide. If you don't feel safe using peroxide water it down a little bit. (04/18/2006)

By JILLSAVES

Cleaning Your Dog's Ears

My breeder told me the best thing to use is warm mouthwash (dollar store) and a makeup removal pad. My dog just loves to have his ears cleaned.
The little bit of alcohol helps dry the ear quickly and he smells wonderful. (04/18/2006)

By Annie

Cleaning Your Dog's Ears

Vet feedback: This is to keep ears from becoming irritated and bright pink. The color indicates yeast overgrowth and can get out of hand, creating further irritation, bad smells, etc. Use 1/2 white vinegar and 1/2 water several times a week. Skin balance will return if it has not gone on too long. If it does irritate your dog, you can also use liquid aloe vera when there is little or no irritation/pinkness apparent. (04/18/2006)

By MR

Cleaning Your Dog's Ears

A Q-tip should be used only very carefully in a dogs ear. A cotton ball, with either peroxide, baby oil, or anything none abrasive would be better. If you wouldn't put it in your ear, don't put it in a dog's ear. They are very sensitive just as a human ear. (04/19/2006)

By Sue.

Cleaning Your Dog's Ears

I have been a certified groomer for over 26 years.
If your dog's ear's aren't infected and just need cleaning, my special recipe should do the trick nicely. I have used it with my vet's approval all the time I have groomed. I mix 1 bottle of white vinegar with 1 bottle of alcohol and add about 1 teaspoon of eucalyptus oil. Shake well and add liberally to clean the ear. The vinegar will kill any fungus, the alcohol will dry the ear and the eucalyptus will make it smell nice and clean. Don't use in any ear that is infected. It's for cleaning purposes only. (04/19/2006)

By ragteller

Cleaning Your Dog's Ears

I just copied this tip from About.com:

"Mix 1/3 rubbing alcohol and 1/3 white vinegar and 1/3 water. Store it in any old clean dropper bottle (like Visine eye drops) and use it to clean out your ears. It also works fine on dogs and cats."

As a matter of fact my vet gave me this tip years ago when I had a Cocker Spaniel that got frequent ear infections. Just squirt 8-10 drops in ear holding head to side; let it stand in ear for a minute then drain. With my three dogs, while I'm holding their head tilted I massage the ear around in a circle then tilt and wipe out with Kleenex; usually apply once a month or if they are ear scratching. My current vet laughed and said, "Well, I've got animal ear cleaning drops here and it only costs 8 dollars a bottle, but what you are using seems to be working. Your dogs ears are certainly clean". Warning: If applied daily for 3 days and dogs are still scratching or rubbing ears see a vet; they have mites or bacterial infection. (04/19/2006)

By cjdnnm

Cleaning Your Dog's Ears, A basset hound puppy with long brown ears.
Cleaning Your Dog's Ears
Dog With Itchy Ears
Remedies for a Dog With Itchy Ears
A woman with itchy ears.
Remedies for Itchy Ears
Chihuahua puppy
Puppy's Ears Aren't Standing Up
buzzing in your ear
Buzzing in Your Ears
🎄