Cleaning a Coffee Maker

Fill reservoir with 1 pint (473mL) white vinegar and enough extra water to fill the reservoir. Turn on Coffee Maker. Let it brew 1 cup of water/vinegar solution, then turn off coffee maker. Let it stand for 1/2 hour, then turn coffee maker back on. When finished brewing, rinse pot, then fill reservoir with water and let it brew the hot water. I usually do this twice. Better than commercial coffee maker cleaners.

By Kathy

Vinegar

I have been doing this for years & it works great. My husband happen to see me doing it the other day & almost had a fit. I told him I had been doing it for (15) years to HIS coffeemaker & obviously the vinegar doesn't leave a taste or smell behind, because he never mentioned it before. Vinegar is a good thing!

By FrugalFriend

Vinegar

Vinegar works well, too. If you can't stand the smell of the vinegar, just wash the pot out thoroughly afterwards, or dilute the vinegar to a solution of half water, half vinegar. But frankly, I believe that despite the cost, those grocery store coffee pot cleaners are really more effective. They are designed to be able to dissolve hard water and mineral stains in a way that no ordinary household product can. Another trick that I learned from my mother, is to wipe off the spout that the coffee comes through every time you use the coffee pot. It makes a big difference, and you can see the results when you do a heavy duty cleaning!

By skbeal