Cleaning a Crock Pot

Category Appliances
simmering crock pot
Those hours of cooking generally leave a cooked on food edge around the inside of your crock pot or slow cooker. This is a guide about cleaning a crock pot.

After using my crock pot, I had a "cooked on, dried up" mess. I filled the crock up two thirds with water, added a drop of dish washing detergent, then turned it on low. After I came home in a few hours, I turned it off and let it cool. The "cooked on" mess was so easy to clean off!

The "high" setting works also, just depends on how quick you need it cleaned. I never have to avoid those messy recipes again.

By Patty from East Peoria, IL

Read 7 Comments

Before using your Crock pot or pans to cook food, spray it first with Pam. Food will not stick and clean-up is a breeze. I do this always and it has not failed me yet. This does not affect the taste of the food and does not harm the crock pot.

Source: Started doing this on my own to see if it worked and it proved effective.

By Shorty66

Read 1 Comment

Crockpots can be a pain to get clean. So, here's a clever trick to help you save some time, energy, soap, and even money. Place a cooking bag in the pot, fill it with the ingredients for your recipe, close it up and slow cook and serve as usual. After dinner, all you have to do is pull the bag out, close it with a twist tie, and store it in the fridge. You can reheat it in the same bag in the pot for the next meal or you can keep it in the freezer. This saves on freezer bags, too!

By Gary

Read 4 Comments

How do you clean really scorched on food out of a slow cooker? I left a dessert recipe cooking too long and the chocolate cake is set like stone.

I got off quite a bit by filling it with water and heating/soaking it. I also did this with baking soda and with vinegar in the water.
Thanks for your help!

By sllof4 from MO

I keep a flat razor with a handle on my shelf in the window for crock pot, and any glass pans that have stuff stuck on them. If all else fails, use oven cleaner.

Ria

Try inexpensive denture cleaning tablets maybe get a couple from your dentist they get lots of free samples. I used to work for a dentist for 17 years and those tablets cleaned quite a bit. I used to use them to soak office coffee pot that

no one would wash though all used it.

My slow cooker consists of two pieces. The outside pot is metal and the insert is ceramic. The metal pot has 2 holes in the bottom. The burnt on stain is inside the metal pot and water cannot be put in it. How do I get rid of the stain?

By DJH

You can put water in it, but just a little. Use a green scrubber and keep wiping out the water with a sponge until it is clean. That's how I do mine.

Clean this part every time you use the crock pot and it won't get too stuck on.

How can I remove the food smell that lingers in the gasket, in the lid of my slow cooker, after it has been thoroughly washed? This is a Crock Pot brand slow cooker.

By Joyce from Unionville, MO

How do I clean the cooked-on residue from sausage and beans from the inside of a crock pot?

By walkbj from Plantation, FL

Answers:

Cleaning a Crock Pot

This is what I do; I fill the pot with hot water, add a 1/4 cup dish washing soap, bring it to a simmer, and then put a lid on it so it stays hot after I turn it off. Leave it for a few hours. The food came right off. If there is a little residue I put some cleanser on a dishcloth and scrub on it lightly and it comes off. (06/25/2009)

By Marcia S

Cleaning a Crock Pot

I just soak mine overnight with some dish soap and then use an SOS pad to scrub off any residue. (06/25/2009)

By lah34a

Cleaning a Crock Pot

Soak with automatic dishwasher detergent and water. That stuff dissolves everything. (06/25/2009)

By Beth

Cleaning a Crock Pot

It might be best to avoid SOS or similar scouring pads because they can create tiny scratches that may make it even harder to clean your appliance. The hot water soak (even without soap added) is very effective. I fill the crock to max fill level with hot water, drape 3 - 4 clean dry face cloths on lid to cover lid entirely, and leave it unplugged and let soak a few hours. The facecloth (or even a folded towel) help maintain the warmth which increases the effectiveness. (06/25/2009)

By moonylisa

Cleaning a Crock Pot

I use a cleaner called Cameo. They make one for porcelain, for stainless steel and aluminum. You sprinkle some on the cooked on food and use a damp cloth to make it into a paste. Then you rub it on the spots and they should come off with a little bit of elbow grease. I buy mine at Walmart in the cleaning aisle for about $1. I have heard you can make a paste with baking soda and clean just about anything. Although I have not tried this myself, it might just save you a trip to the store! (06/25/2009)

By harrison2009

Cleaning a Crock Pot

Use one of the Magic Erasers - I think Mr. Clean makes them. They clean everything off my pots and pans and they are soft and don't scratch. Stuff comes off immediately with little effort. We even cleaned the vinyl car seats and doors in my husband's car and it looks showroom new (it's a 2001 model!). We've used them to clean the water line in our pool, our glass top stove, etc. I love them! (06/25/2009)

By Susan5932

Cleaning a Crock Pot

Once clean, can I suggest that they make crock pot liners? They sell them with the plastic wrap and aluminum foil where I am at. I love them. Just pop one in, then whatever you are cooking and when done take out and throw away. They have saved me time and trouble. (06/25/2009)

By lmbell

Cleaning a Crock Pot

I basically do what Marcia suggested and it works every time. Good luck. (06/25/2009)

By tahlula

Cleaning a Crock Pot

Next time you use your crock pot, use this little trick someone told my mother many moons ago. Using a pastry brush or a folded up piece of paper towel, oil the whole inside of the pot, top to bottom. Although it will still need some scrubbing to clean up, it will be easier to maintain. I've been doing this for years with extra virgin olive oil, but any liquid oil will do. (06/30/2009)

By cookwie

Cleaning a Crock Pot

I use S.O.S. pads to clean it. Then before each use I spray it with PAM or any generic non stick spray before filling. (06/30/2009)

By Ariela

Read 1 Comment