Cleaning the Outside of a Refrigerator

Category Appliances
woman cleaning the outside of a refrigerator
The exterior of your fridge can get pretty dirty from constant use. This is a guide about cleaning the outside of a refrigerator.

To clean the outside of your refrigerator and make it look like new, use baking soda. Take a wet rag, pour some baking soda on it and start cleaning. This cleans the textured parts of the frig, like nothing I have ever seen before.

By Sarah from Vandergrift, PA

There was a black mark on the white refrigerator in my rented apartment. I tried cleaning it and now it has spread :(. I have no clue what it is. I've tried almost every possible solution that I've read. I don't want to end up paying for something that I haven't damaged, but was only trying to clean. Help!

Looks like the paint has come off and you are seeing the metal underneath.

How do you remove Sharpie marks from the refrigerator?

Jennifer from Springfield, LA

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser gets everything off. I love mine.

Rubbing alcohol!

Go get a "eraser" (Mr. Clean product) They are magic alright.

i have tried the magic eraser and hair spray. Some came off.

I haven't tried it on the fridge, but acetone, or acetone nail polish works on a lot of things. Be careful though, acetone is poisonous and flammable.

I have used both rubbing alcohol and fingernail polish remover with good results. JAN

Cleane with Rubbing Alcohol.

I keep a bottle of Awesome from the dollar store on hand, used it on my fridge when dd decided to "decorate" it for me. Worked great. I could see it working.

Magic Eraser will not remove sharpie. Neither will bleach. I'm going to go dig up some nail polish remover and try that next though!

I have a GE refrigerator that is about 4 years old. The front doors are black. I think the surface is like a "vinyl" type. They are the type that won't show fingerprints. What is the best way to clean them? When the sun shines on the doors I see all the water marks left by my rag that I used to clean them. Help.

By Barbara from Dallas, TX

Try using vinegar or a vinegar/water mix. Make sure to dry it well. I have a cooktop that only looks good if I clean it with straight vinegar and buff dry with paper towels. No smears or streaks!

The key, as with windows, is to keep buffing until they're dry.

I use white (clear) vinegar. Then I put one drop (only 1) of liquid dish washing detergent. Add the water, half water half vinegar and shake well, pour on a soft cotton rag, and wash, wash, wash and polish with a clean cotton rag. Don't let it dry, polish it dry. it works.

Anonymous

I used to have an all black refrigerator that was the kind that did not have the finger smudge proof coating. After wet wipe cleaning just wipe again with a dry non terry cloth type of cotton towel.

I feel for you. On Thanksgiving one year our stove died. So I tell my hubby that if he don't find a stove there will be no Thanksgiving dinner. The only one he could find was black. Nothing would keep it clean. I shined it with windex and all the little lint fibers arrived back all safe and sound so I gave it away and bought me a white one.

Good luck!

Gem

I agree with the vinegar and water mix.

But you might try crumbled up newspaper instead of a cloth.

Use the newsprint tho, not the glossy ads.

It will make your appliances sparkle just like it does for windows.

Does any one have any suggestions on what to use to clean black marks off the refrigerator door? I am not sure what is the cause of the black marks. I believe it to be caused by build up of dirt or food stains maybe? The marks run along the side of the door and onto the refrigerator door handle. I tried bleach and nothing happened.

Thank you for any ideas.

By Rachelle

Usually bleach or a magic eraser will get rid of those stains. I find that usually the stains on fridge handles are because people do not wash their hand prior to handling food, or using anything in the kitchen.

I find the magic eraser magically makes all those marks go away. I had a spot on my fridge that would not come off. I actually thought it was a place the paint got rubbed off or something and I was cleaning using the magic eraser and to my surprise it wiped it away. I particularly find it helpful on the textured handles and the rest for the ice and water on my side by side. I hope they never discontinue them, they are so good at cleaning so many things and no harsh chemicals!

Get one of those 'scrub it' from the dollar store or store ( I think by Clorox or Mr. Clean). Cheap and gets off all black marks and lots more stuff.

You can try scrubbing with Comet or Ajax. And I do find those Magic Erasers to truly be magic. They get rid of spots on my rugs, left from my cats throwing up, etc. They do crumble pretty quickly, though, so I'm going to buy a small piece of similar foam and see how that works. They also have an off-brand at Dollar General for about half the price.