Removing Mold and Staining on Older Kenmore Fridge

My husband and I live in an apartment in the US midwest. We've got a fridge that's about 15 years old. It's in great working order, but the side of it that has been toward the wall since we moved in has scuff marks, mold, and what appears to be some oxidation (the white paint is not only coming off, but the outer wall is just beginning to rust!) What can or should I use? It's a Kenmore fridge, and I have really great landlords who have done a metric ton to help us.

I don't want to post photos of our fridge - it's got photos of a lot of friends! Can you lend any suggestions? We'll try anything that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. The fridge is safe, and structurally sound.

Thanks all.

I would wash with diluted bleach. Bleach kills mold.

You can try a paste of baking soda and enough vinegar to making it the consistency of icing and spread it in the mold. Leave it sit for an hour, then wipe down. I would be afraid to use any chemicals on it if the paint is flaking off.

Since you have mold you will have to use something to kill that first.

Since you say there is no paint peeling off it seems you could use a spray bottle of diluted bleach (cover the floor with plastic and old rags to catch any runs). Dollar Tree has $1 plastic paint covers or even a plastic shower curtain.

• If you have a Dollar Store in your area they sell a great cleaner in a spray bottle that would work great - Product: Magic Power Cleaner with Bleach. If necessary, you can use a brush to remove any mold in crevices.
  • I would leave this for at least 30 minutes to be sure the mold is gone. Then rinse with diluted white vinegar and maybe even clear water. You will need to clean any surface you plan to paint (but maybe not with bleach if no mold is present).
  • Pay a visit to the paint department at any big store - Walmart, Lowe's, Home Depot, Ace or True Value Hardware - and look for refrigerator paint. Ask for it if you do not see it as you will need to use this (or some type of auto paint) but this is easy to use. If it does not say covers rust then you will need a primer but someone should be able to help you find what you need (especially if you go to one of the hardware stores).
  • Ad

• Buy whatever else you may need for clean up.
  • I have done this with refrigerators in rental property and it is a little work but usually looks very good and lasts a very long time.

Bleach first for the mold and magic erasers work wonders

I would kill the mould first with bleach + water or tea tree oil + vinegar + water and then I would look at purchasing appliance paint (regular at Lowes, Walmart, etc) and just painting over the unsavoury bits