Clearing Potato Peelings From a Garbage Disposal

Category Plumbing
Peeling potatoes into a sink with a garbage disposal.
Certain food items such as potato and carrot peelings can cause a clog in the plumbing attached to your disposal. This is a guide about clearing potato peelings from a garbage disposal.

After deciding to send potato peelings and carrot peelings down the drain, I immediately regretted it. They had gone past the disposal, but had clogged the pipe. I was home alone with 2 kids under 3. I happened upon this post and saw the baking soda and vinegar as well as a plunger tip.

So I took the plunge. I plunged the sink a couple times and got the clog loose. Then for good measure I did the baking soda with vinegar, let it sit while a kettle of water boiled. Then poured that down. Works like a charm!

As soon as I tell my husband, he is sure to say "I told you so" about the peelings going down the drain. But I fixed it myself. You live, you learn.

Top Comment

You did. Pat yourself on the back. Just so you know in the future, don't put things like coffee grounds, eggs, rice, celery or things that will swell or separate.

Once a week, put some lemon juice and ice cubes down the disposal. It keeps it smelling good and the ice cubes keep the blades sharp. Good luck.

Top Comment

You saved my bootah... not to mention me a few hundred bucks. My mistake was a bowl full of sunflower shells. My garbage disposal went off the hinges but with this nifty solution and few pumps of the plunger all is good and calm in the land. Thank you!

I put potato peels down the garbage disposal and while it clogged, the clog was pushed thru the pipes underneath the sink and into the wall in between the kitchen and bathroom. I tried snaking it and that didn't work. The garbage disposal was replaced because it was thought to be broken as well. So how on earth do I get that clog unclogged without tearing apart a wall and piping or spending $200 on a plumber?

By Susie C

Answers

I would never own a garbage disposal because a lot of trouble comes with them. Have you asked for help at your local hardware store? Have you ever had your main drain line rodded out? A lot of times it's caused by tree roots that have cracked through the main line creating a big blockage.

Now as to how to unclog your line I'd suggest going to a hardware store and getting a drain cleaner that has lye in it but is still safe to use with PVC pipes. You might have to use it a couple of times before it works. I assume you can do this through the bathroom drain.

If push comes to shove you might have to rent a rodder to push or pull the skins out. Keep in mind that they are pretty heavy and it might cost you $50-$100. for the rental fee. At that point I would just call a plumber. Ask your local hardware store if they know of anyone who you could pay to clear the line.

Good luck.

If my sons were here who are plumbers, I could tell you what to do. Sorry, but I can just tell anyone. These were orders from my sons, NEVER put potato peels down a garbage disposal.

I clogged my plumbing once at a family Thanksgiving meal and my sons spent considerable time unclogging it. I lived two hours from them so they had no tools with them and couldn't rent any on this day because it was a holiday. I think they ended up using some neighbor's tools. They had to take the soil pipe apart to do it. Needless to say, it ruined everyone's Thanksgiving.